Chapter 12
1.1k 8 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Surprising, isn't it? I was expecting something more sinister, like a cult.”

According to the Northern Church, a cult was an illegal organised group aiming to dominate cult members through psychological manipulation and pressure strategies. Rinaldo was glad he didn't have to deal with them. That was the Northern Church's job, not the Luminous Knights'.

The Luminous Knights only had one job: to protect the future of the people and maintain peace. Every member had a different interpretation of what that entailed. Rinaldo wouldn't know—he didn't ask. If one of his friends asked about it, he would give a textbook answer.

“So, our job here is done?”

Rinaldo raised his cup to clink with Olivia's. “Yes, I think we've done our jobs here.”

Olivia smiled. Her smile was like a ray of sunshine. Rinaldo's eyes were lost in the smile. He leaned in a little. A bit more. Then he kissed her. His lips barely touched her. He was careful to keep the kiss light. They pulled away.

“Now that's what I call a good end to a job.”

“Indeed.” Rinaldo laughed and finished his coffee. “Now it's time to go home.”

“But you're already home.”

“No, I'm not. I haven't called this place home since my father died.”

“It's still your home.”

Rinaldo didn't want to admit it, but Olivia was right. She always was. He still had to admit it, though, that her being here was helping him. Olivia had this way of making him forget about his problems. She made him forget and smile.

He took a deep breath and looked away from her, towards the window. “I know.”

The sight of the city outside the window brought back all the memories he had in his head. Looking at this city made him feel more like a stranger in his own home than ever when he was a teenager.

This city was constantly changing, from the way of life of its people to its appearance. It had changed, but it still had its heart. He could still hear the same sounds, and smell the same smells. Nothing had really changed. Not in the way he wanted to. The city was different now from the one he knew as a child.

Rinaldo didn't want to be stuck in the past. Now, he was a young man. A new beginning was what he wanted. That was why he never returned to his hometown before, back to his old family and home. It would always be a part of his past.

“Breakfast is ready, milady.” A girl dressed in a maid's outfit entered the room, pushing a trolley filled with food. “Would you like some?”

She was a small thing, with black hair tied back in a neat bun. She was probably in her early twenties, Rinaldo thought, but you could never tell for sure with magecraft. However, her voice was young and clear.

In one swift movement, Rinaldo had the maid pinned to the wall. He didn't know why she was pretending to be a servant of this house, but it couldn't be for a good reason. If she was an assassin, she was a terrible one. There was no other servant in this house except Caitlin.

“Who are you? What is your purpose here?” Rinaldo didn't recognise the maid. “Don't worry, I'm not going to harm you.”

The girl didn't struggle to free herself from the wall. She remained placid, staring into his eyes, not blinking. Rinaldo was already thinking about the many possibilities that someone had sent her to kill him, or spy on him.

“My name is Shelley. My purpose is to serve.”

She stated that with a serene voice. Her eyes still hadn't blinked. Rinaldo didn't doubt she was telling the truth, but he had a feeling that something wasn't right. She stood there showing no signs of showing fear or nervousness. It was almost as though she was one with the environment.

Her emotions were strange, but he couldn't put his finger on them. The girl seemed relaxed—too relaxed for someone in this uncomfortable situation. It was unnatural. She didn't flinch or show any sign of weakness.

The more he looked into her eyes, the more he believed he had to be looking into the eyes of someone without a soul. What was this? Rinaldo had never come across anything like this before. He was lost in her eyes for what seemed like ages. His mind worked overtime, and a theory formed.

“What are you?”

Shelley responded without batting an eye. Her expression didn't change as she spoke. “I'm a servant of the household.”

Rinaldo wanted to believe she was telling the truth. He wrapped his mind around the idea that she was just a mannequin. Her movements were slow and relaxed, almost robotic. It was like she was a clock without a clock face, displaying a set of motions with no thought.

He released the maid, letting her drop to the floor with a thud. She stood up, but still didn't bother to do anything else. She just looked back at him with one face, blank as ever.

“You are a person, right?”

The girl nodded. “That's right.”

“Are you a person that was sent here to assassinate or spy on me?”

“No. I was sent here to serve.”

Rinaldo's mind was struggling to come up with any ideas of who sent this girl to him. The girl's behaviour baffled him. Shelley was standing there like a lifeless dummy in front of him, yet she spoke with conviction and ease of manner that surprised him.

Never had Rinaldo seen a person so unafraid of his “cursed eyes” before.

He thought about what he had to do with the girl and the choices he had to make. Deep inside, he knew she was telling the truth. If what he believed was true, then the girl and whoever sent her here were no enemy to him. He would not harm her, not as long as she was here.

“Are you telling the truth?”

Shelley seemed satisfied with Rinaldo's question. “I am incapable of telling lies.”

She was not lying. She had to be. Her words gave her away. Rinaldo was in a predicament. If he wanted to trust her, he should let her go, but he was in doubt. He was also in a quandary of wondering who sent her. Then it hit him.

Hadn't Katarina said the same thing to him yesterday after her interrogation, words to words?

“I believe you.”

“Thank you, milord. Now if you'll excuse me.”

The maid bowed and left, but before she could close the door behind her, Rinaldo ordered her to eat the food she brought in case it was poisoned. Olivia asked him if it was necessary, but he said it was. “Trust, but verify.”

Shelley took a bite of all the food and waited for a few minutes for a reaction. When none came, she turned to Rinaldo. “I do not think it is poisoned, milord. It tastes alright.”

“Good. You may eat the rest if you so choose. You are so thin.”

Shelley ate a few more pieces of food, but after a few bites, she excused herself, saying she had to perform her duties. She could hear the conversation taking place next to her as she ate. “I see…” came Rinaldo's voice. “Well, then…”

“I told you so,” Olivia told Rinaldo when the maid left the room. She picked up the cutlery and ate her breakfast. It was a light meal, and not much—a break from the decadence of the previous night's dinner.

Olivia swallowed the last of her morning tea and sat back in bed. She stretched her long, slender legs out in front of her, taking a moment to take stock of her surroundings.

It was not at all like Olivia was used to, but she liked it. She enjoyed being able to see out of the windows. Unlike her old room, a brick wall wasn't blocking her worldview.

Rinaldo stood and walked to the window. Olivia watched him, curious why he was pacing back and forth, staring at the wall.

He stopped walking and turned to face her. “Yes. You were correct. Now, what do you want me to do?”

“I want you to stay here with me until I'm….”

“Until you're what?”

Rinaldo looked at her, concern in his eyes. Olivia met his gaze, and he could tell she was struggling to find the words.

“Until I'm well enough to move about without someone holding my hand.”

She glanced over at him, waiting for his decision. Rinaldo held her gaze, disappointed by the uncertainty on her face. It was as if she doubted he would listen to her request. He sat down on the bed next to her, reaching out and grasping the material of Olivia's dress to reassure her he was there.

“I'm not going to leave you.” He took his hand in hers. “You have my word.”

At that moment, as he held her hand, Rinaldo felt he hadn't known since his childhood–a fierce loyalty to another. It was as if he would gladly lose his life to ensure her well-being.

Olivia, too, felt something stir deep inside her. She had never experienced the feeling before, but she could sense it was a powerful thing. Rinaldo squeezed her hand, hoping she'd accept his gesture. When she looked up at him, she beamed with delight.

Olivia closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath. She felt a weight lift off her shoulders. When Rinaldo let go of her hand, she felt like she could finally relax.

“Thank you.” She squeezed his hand tighter. “It's just one day.”

Rinaldo nodded. They sat in silence for a few moments. “But if it gets to be too much, tell me, and I'll leave.”

“It won't.”

“You've enjoyed having me here, haven't you?”

She looked away. “I…”

Rinaldo gave a soft chuckle. “So it's true. We have a lot in common.”

Olivia shot him a sceptical look in response.

“I don't suppose you'd like to hear what we have in common?”

She thought for a moment before nodding. “I suppose.”

Olivia didn't hear him. She was lost in thought. She spent several moments running her hand over his arms, enjoying the firm feel of his muscles.

Thinking back to the day he first walked into the palace made a slow smile spread across her face. It was as if the very idea of him being in the palace filled her with a sense of peace.

“Well, this is a new development. I can see how much you are enjoying your stay here in Viennetta.”

Olivia pulled her hand out of Rinaldo's and turned to face the door. Lady Ragnell had just walked in, pushing an empty wheelchair out of all things. Olivia stood there, stunned, and considered not greeting her at all. But then, this was Lady Ragnell, Rinaldo's mother, and her future mother-in-law.

“Lady Ragnell.” Olivia was uncertain how to continue. “I am very pleased to see you.”

“We have not had many visitors in some time. Your sudden arrival was a pleasant surprise.”

The Dordogne household only housed two people for years: the lady and her maid. Her daughter Beatrice would sometimes stay the night when she visited, but otherwise, it was just the two of them. Nothing ever happened in their house. Every day was the same. They just lived in the quiet.

Rinaldo joined the conversation. “Yes, it has been an interesting couple of days, mother.”

His mother smiled. “Interesting indeed.”

“What's up with the wheelchair?”

“Well, this is the second day of the annual celebration of the city's founding.” Rinaldo's mother looked at Olivia, motioning toward the chair as she continued. “I don't want Olivia to miss it, so I've brought her a wheelchair.”

Olivia turned her gaze on Lady Ragnell and forced a smile. “Oh, that's so nice of you, Lady Ragnell. Thank you for your kindness.”

“Nonsense, child. I just don't want you to miss out on the festivities. Besides, I have a feeling you have nothing else to do today, so why not enjoy yourself?”

Olivia nodded. “Oh, you're right. I have nothing to do today.”

“Well, I'll see you soon.” Lady Ragnell moved to the door and closed it behind her. Olivia sat there, staring at the door for a few seconds.

“So, what do you think about the festival? Should we be going there?”

Rinaldo shrugged. “I guess it might not be all that bad. We will find something to entertain you.”

“I'm sure we will.”

“Alright then, let's go. What could possibly go wrong?”

Please keep the comment section clean. 

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Thank you for reading!

80