Chapter 2
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You wanted to see me, Father?” Sky shut the door to his father’s office behind him, then turned to face his father, hands behind his back.

Mr. Evans flipped the page on the book he held, not showing any indication that he heard his son. Sky stood silently, waiting as his father’s eyes roved slowly over the words. Finally, Mr. Evans shut the book with a tired sigh. Still not acknowledging Sky’s presence, he stood and carefully placed the book back in its place on the shelf before clasping his hands behind his back and turning to face Sky.

When his father finally looked at him, Sky straightened up his already perfectly straight spine and gulped. He didn’t repeat his question, he knew better than to repeat himself without being asked. He watched as his father slowly sauntered closer absently searching for a gray hair amongst the pitch black, a wrinkle on his pale, unblemished skin, any sign at all of the man’s true age.

Only when Sky’s father was standing directly in front of  him did he say why he called for Sky in the middle of the night, “Libra has awoken. You are to recruit it before Jade, do you understand me?”

“Yes, sir.” Sky bowed to his father. Before he could rise up, his father put a hand on his shoulder. Outsiders may see it as a move of fatherly affection but Sky stiffened.

“I hope you had fun with that boy at the party today, you will not see or speak to him again.”

Sky straightened up from his bow suddenly, taking a step forward, and speaking without thinking, “but you promised I could go to his graduation party-”

The crisp sound of a strong slap bounced off the walls of the large office.

Sky swallowed and stepped back, bowing again, ignoring the sting on his cheek. “Apologies, Father, I spoke out of turn... May I ask why you changed your mind?”

“I do not owe you an explanation.”

“Of course. Please forget I asked.”

There was a long pause as Sky fought not to shake under his father’s glare. Finally, “Get moving. Do not lose to Jade.”

“Yes, sir.”

1