Chapter 5: For The Doc
1.1k 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I decided to take the quest for Doc Mitchell first since he was the first person that went out to help me and extract the bullet out of my skull. Stimpaks, hmm? It would be an easy item to get, albeit quite expensive to procure to be entirely honest for someone in the early game. 

“You’re back so soon, don’t tell me you broke something else in your body,” Mitchell commented on my sudden return. 

“Doc, I heard from Sunny that you need help with Stimpaks.”

“Ah, yes. The traveling merchant that usually passed by is late. So, I need you to go to Primm. It’s just south of here,” Mitchell said. “Stick to the main road so you don’t get bitten by Gecco, or worse.”

“I understand.”

“Look, I’m not forcing you to do this. I’d feel safer if the whole town has a surplus supply of Stimpak. I only had the bare minimum at the moment,” Mitchell said. 

“How much is the bare minimum?”

“10 Stimpaks,” Mitchell said. 

“Do the townsfolks often use Stimpaks?” 

“Boy, I want to tell you that at least I spent one every two days, usually from Gecko bites. However, if there’s someone like you, who’s been shot in the head, It’ll take much more plus one Super Stimpak,” Mitchell further explained. 

“Alright, doc, thanks for the help.”

“Don’t mention it. Here are the shipment details. I need more than Stimpaks. There’s an old man in the Mojave Express named Johnson Nash, talk to him about the shipment,” Mitchell said as he gave me a piece of paper with his handwriting. 

[Quest Started: Late Night Stims]

[] Go to Primm and speak to Johnson Nash

The quest details appeared in my peripheral vision. How did RobCo achieve something such as virtual augmentation like this? Mr. House must have made a deal with the Cthulhu for making this kind of technological witchcraft. It was impressive, very impressive. 

I headed out of Goodsprings with a Varmint Rifle in my hands. It was low damage, but it should be enough to deal with basic critters that invested in Mojave Wasteland. I just needed to follow Doc’s advice which was to stick to the main road. 

I walked to the road until I arrived at a T-junction. In that T-junction, there was a shack with a bunch of abandoned aircraft behind it. I approached the shack and a notification appeared that I just discovered a new area. 

[Area Discovered: Jean Sky Diving]

The shack looked abandoned, with its very dirty wooden floor and all. Behind it was a rail track. However, the shocking part was the thing sitting on top of it. A working train was pulling several cargo carriages from behind. In that train, I could see it clearly, the symbol of the two-headed bear. NCR.

Inside the trains were also several people wearing blue jumpsuits, marked NCRCF. It shocked me the most, there was no working vehicle inside of the game. It was only mentioned several times, but I never saw something like that. The train then passed quickly right before my eyes could perceive it. 

“Holy bloody dingus…” I was speechless at what I had just seen with both of my own eyes. I couldn’t help myself but open my mouth in awe at a fully-working locomotive pulling those container carriages. The sound of steel hitting the well-maintained rail intrigued me the most. 

From new vegas alone, I knew that the New California Republic had resources on its hands, but I never know it would be this massive. After being mesmerized by the train, I continued my journey towards the south, aka Primm. 

Walking down the road, the sun of Mojave Wasteland created the scorching hell on Earth called the desert. I could have sworn that the sweat under this jumpsuit had wet all of my undergarments without any doubt. As I got closer to the Primm, the rollercoaster of Primm became pretty visible from afar. 

There was no military checkpoint on the right side of Primm yet, much likely because Powder Gangers hadn’t existed to become a threat yet. The main reason for Primm's checkpoint was to guarantee the town's safety from the convicts. I approached the city from the right side, eventually making a turn at Mojave Express. 

“Excuse me?” I opened the door to Mojave Express. 

“Ah, are you the courier?” An old man asked me. 

“Courier? No, I’m just here to buy supplies for Goodsprings,” I said. 

“Oh, I see. Well, I assume you are here on Chet’s behalf, am I right, young boy?” The old man asked. 

“Eh, who are you, if you don’t mind me asking?” I asked. 

“I’m Johnson Nash, people call me Nash, for the most part,” Nash said. 

“I’m here to buy this for Doc Mitchell, actually,” I gave the piece of paper to him. 

Nash retrieved the paper and read it. “Hmm, this is some exotic medicine right here. Two doctor bags alongside 15 Stimpaks? Do you bring the caps for it, dear Vault Dweller?” Nash asked. 

The answer was quite obvious. “Sorry, I only have 100 caps with me. Doc Mitchell will pay the rest later,” I said. 

“Well, Goodsprings, hmm? Sure thing, we’ll help. Wait a minute,” Nash said as he went to the back of his store. 

He then came back with a box filled to the brim with medicines. “Alright, here they are, all checked. Say to Doc Mitchell he owes me 1,400 caps for all of this effort.” He put tape on top of the box and sealed it to protect it from the elements. 

I touched the box, picked it up, and it suddenly disappeared without any trace. Where did it go? I could assume it went to my inventory which was confirmed by the notification that suddenly appeared again on my screen. 

[Medicine Supplies have been added]

“Ah, you have that high-tech pip-boy thing, huh? Lemme tell you something, people want that thing, so keep an eye out, ok?” 

Suddenly, someone barged into the Mojave Express. I got out of the way of this person, he looked scary as heck. He was a man, wearing a green duster with twisted hairs. He looked at me with a very sharp gaze. I couldn’t stand it so I got out of the way. 

“I come for the package.” The man said with a very heavy crisp voice as if it was something that he always trained to do. 

“Ah, you must be one of the couriers. I assume you’re coming here for one of the packages. I got one right here, heading straight to New Canaan. I’ll pay you later once you return.”

“I shall leave, then.” The man carried the package in his hand and left without saying anything else. I had to admit, that person scared me to death. I didn’t know why, but that person must be hell one of a strong person. 

Nash tried to calm me down, “Sorry, kid, that courier was the weird one.”

“Sure, no problem, can I take my leave?” I asked. 

“Sure thing.”

I left Mojave Express. Outside, the man that entered the building alongside me was pretty much gone. There was no trace of him, even though there was not much hiding place between the left side of my vision and the Bison hotel on the right of me. 

I kinda recognized the face, especially the coat, but I couldn’t make out who the person was. Ah, he might just be a random non-player character that wouldn’t ever appear in the real game. Anyway, I began to walk to the North, right where Goodsprings was.

Arriving at Mitchell’s house, I gave him the package of medicine. “Thanks. This will come up in handy, sooner or later.”

[Quest Completed: Late Night Stims]

[+150 EXP]

[Goodsprings: Accepted]

26