Chapter 6: Another Errand
1k 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As a thank you for helping with the medical crisis, Mitchell let me sleep at his house, to be exact, on his medical bed. I woke up feeling fresh, at least. I wouldn’t say that it was the most comfortable place I’ve ever slept in, but it was rather enough for me, to be entirely honest. 

“Are you going back outside this soon?” Mitchell asked as I put my hand on the door handle. 

“Yeah, I think I will.”

“For a young man, you’re quite helpful,” Mitchell said. 

“Thanks.” I left his house. 

One thing kept bugging my mind, how old was I? This body didn’t tell me when I was born. I could be 20, or even in my teenage years, I didn’t know. Nevertheless, I was above 10 since I could use my pip-boy rather easily. People below that age wouldn’t be able to wear pip-boy whatsoever. 

Let’s list who had another assignment for me. 

  • Chet needs a courier to deliver something
  • Trudy has the same problem as Doc Mitchell, she needs a resupply

Between those two, I preferred to work with Chet, not because I liked the person, but because he owned the only general store in Goodsprings and it was most likely for me to head back to that place to get supplies for my Varmint Rifle or other weapons. He was quite decent as a store, to be entirely honest. 

I opened the door to his store. There was no air conditioner there, it felt like I just entered an oven that would eventually bake me alive. Chet was sweeping the floor with a broom. I approached him and he greeted me. 

“Hey, how may I help you, do you want to buy something?” Chet asked. 

“Actually, no, I heard you are in need of a courier. What do you need?” I asked. 

“Yeah, I need you to pick up my weapon from Mojave Outpost. There’s a person there, called Major Knight. Last time, I asked him to fix my revolver for 500 caps. It was hell expensive, but well, I liked that gun. Can you pick that up, I’ll pay you 200 caps, is that a deal?” Chet asked. 

“Isn’t that too little?” I asked. 

[Barter Check Failed]

“Too little? That’s half of my revolver price. Look, I know Doc Mitchell trusted you and some people had started to have a liking to you, but it doesn’t mean I look at you favorably. 200 caps, take it or leave it.” 

I didn’t really object to whatever Chet was saying, he was saying the truth, but the sudden prompt that appeared was rather quite surprising. He wondered whether that notification would always appear when he did an argument or something like that. Well, it might be useful at the end of the day. 

Still, I wasn’t that confident about getting to Mojave Outpost unscratched, especially since it was located quite far enough from Goodsprings. It was like at the end of the road. 

“Chet, if money doesn’t convince you, can I borrow a leather armor or something, that place is very far from here,” I argued. 

“That’s fair enough, I’ll lend you my leather armor, but you better return it, am I clear enough?” 

“Yeah, that’s clear enough.”

Chet headed to the back of the store. He then came back with a set of leather armor for me to wear. I retrieved the leather armor from his hand and it disappeared into my pip-boy inventory again. 

“Damn, must’ve been nice to have a pip-boy,” Chet was jealous of that feature.

[Leather Armor (Quest Item) has been added]

I scrolled to my inventory. I opened [Items] and then headed to [Apparel]. There were only two apparel, [Vault 21 Jumpsuit] and [Leather Armor]. I looked at the stats of the leather armor. 

[Leather Armor]

DT: 6

DR: 12

Weight: 15

Value: 160

I pressed a button and I automatically equipped that leather armor. I didn’t have to put my hands inside of it or anything, it just popped straight into my body in some sort of unexplainable way. Either way, it was more than convenient. 

“Be careful on your way, alright?” Chet said, concerned. 

“I’ll be fine.”

“Might as well drop by with Trudy, I heard she needs a resupply as well,” Chet said. 

“Alright, I’ll keep that in mind.” I left the general store and the quest immediately appeared. 

[Fixin Things]

  • Meet with Major Knight and ask about Chet’s revolver

With that one solved, I headed to the saloon to talk with Trudy. She was the bar owner, although I never spoke with her in the first place when I first arrived in this town. 

The bar was what you would expect from a wild-west-style bar. I sat down on the bar chair and Trudy immediately approached me. 

“So, what do you want, Nuka Cola, Sarsaparilla, or what?” 

“There is no alcohol in this place?” I asked. 

“There is, but I won’t give it to a young man like you. Anyway, my offer still stands,” Trudy said. 

“Actually, I heard from Sunny that you need a resupply,” I said. 

Trudy sighed, “Sunny… Alright, kid, since you have helped Doc, I trusted you, otherwise, I won’t even give this assignment to a random stranger. There’s a merchant in Mojave Outpost, named Lacey. I need you to purchase some hard booze for me.”

“Such as?” I asked. 

“Whiskey, Vodka, Absinthe, Wine, Cognac. I’ll make a list for you.” Trudy grabbed a piece of paper where she usually wrote down the order from the patrons. She grabbed a pencil and wrote the list of things I should fetch from Lacey. 

Who was Lacey? I didn’t remember who she was in Mojave Outpost. Well, I could find out about it later when I arrived at Mojave Outpost, I guess? I didn’t remember what threat would be waiting for me once I got past Primm. I just hoped that it wasn’t Deathclaw. 

“Here you go, have fun.” Trudy gave me the piece of paper alongside a lot of bottle caps. 

[Oye, Bottle of Liquers]

  • Meet Lacey at Mojave Outpost Barrack

The quest name got weirder than what I used to remember. Well, there were several deviations already in this world, might as well enjoy it all before the first battle that decided the fate between the Legion and the New California Republic. Would I meet with Joshua Graham first, though?

I shrugged that thought off my head for now. Right now, I needed to focus on errand work before I could move on to the next big thing. After all, I was only a vault dweller in the eyes of most people and I was only a kid according to some people. 

Still, helping Goodsprings might result in good karma at the end of the day.

24