BlackCrown: The First Year (III) pt. 31
182 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was one stage in the center of the area. A clean white floor that stretched to the other side of the stage. It was surrounded by rows of seats like a coliseum.

In a seperate section by the seats was a platform that was almost hidden away by the dark blue curtains. An older man with gray hair stepped forward. His arms behind his back with his chest puffed out. He must have had some sort of military experience due to the way he presented himself.

Short clean cut, a muscular build and the way he carried himself spoke professional.

"Today you are not friends in the small class, buddies who talk to each other over the weekend. Today you are fighting for what's important. Take a good look at the person next to you, you think they will mind coming at you with full force? I think not! If you are not striving to be at the top of your class, then what are you aiming for?

I've said enough, show me with your own strength how capable you are."

The man did not talk for a long time, it was short and straight to the point. Many students were somewhat disappointed in the fact he did not give them more encouraging words. Something that could pump them up. At least show them a reward of some sort.

The older man walked behind the curtains covering his figure. He was a mysterious figure, people were not sure who this man was. Was he the headmaster?

He had to have some sort of position to appear here and speak to them.

While their thoughts wandered a much more timid looking male came forward from behind the curtains. He had purple hair that reached the bottom of his neck and clear red eyes.

"Haha, i'm sure what he meant to say was, welcome to the 300th anniversary of our Academy. Many of you are new and are just beginning a path others wish they could achieve. Do not let them down, show them what we EXO users are capable of.

Man, times flies by. Three hundred years and this Academy has yet to shake, it is an unmovable fortress. Do you know why? It's because of you! The students we raise who go on to protect, to serve, to teach. You are the future, the ones who will take over our positions in time.

Don't dwell on what happened yesterday, or the month before. We've sent you out, you have real world experience. How many others can say they've fought a demonic beast before? Surely if I was your age back in my time I couldn't. Use your strengths and dominate your opponents weakness. Everything is fair in love and war. This may be a small step, but remember, everything starts here.

Now without further ado, let us start to freshman competition!"

The timid man spoke longer than the older man but it was something the students wanted to hear. Cheers echoed as the students in the stands expressed themselves to the freshman below. Giving them confidence in their skills and telling them to do their best.

"Che, they are so loud."

Matthew clicked his tongue, annoyed by the cheering of his fellow peers. All the ones in the stands were sophomores or higher.

"Just think, that's going to be us next year."

Freya said as she looked over the students. From below she couldn't even see the faces of the students from the top of the stands. She trying to see them nor did she want to stress her eyesight before it was her time to fight.

"You won't see me cheering like mad. That's so embarrassing."

"You don't need to cheer to embarrass yourself, you do it well enough on your own."

Freya didn't hesitate to comment.

Nick let out a small chuckle.

"If only moments like this lasted forever."

Both Matthew and Freya looked at Nick strangely. His words caused them to be slightly confused.

"What are you talking about? We'll continue making memories together, this year and the next. So on so forth."

Matthew cheerfully told Nick as he threw his arm over Nicks shoulder.

"I'm not going anywhere, so you can count on me."

Freya placed her hand over her chest and said as she smiled.

Truthfully Nick just plurted that out randomly. He wasn't trying to change the mood, he just wanted to say something. This happened to be the first thought that came to his mind causing him to be a little embarrassed.

It wasn't long before Matthew and Freya found a special place in his heart. He wanted to cherish that as well as make sure nothing would ruin it.

An image of the past flashed through his head. A friend, a true friend.

Originally Nick thought you'd only meet one of them in a lifetime, but he already found two more. Alex died, Nick knew he could never change that fact. He was fond of her, she was his best friend and someone who he felt he would grow up with. It was saddening that she passed away. One day he would get revenge for her. Nick would not kill Rachel, but surely beating her black and blue would be fine.

Nick's eyes focused on the moment as he smiled softly, not even hearing what Matthew or Freya said. He missed what they said but he pretended like he heard them.

Instead he promised that he would protect what he had. Nick never wanted to experience another friends death.

"Participates in block A, come to the center of the stage!"

An announcement reached Nick's ears waking him from all his thoughts.

Matthew gave Nick a push on the back and smiled.

"Don't forget, final round."

"Good luck."

Freya joined in. She knew Nick didn't need luck to win, but no one knows what would happen.

Nick stood in the middle of the stage. There were a ton of people present, all wielding some sort of weapon.

For today's event those that did not own a personal weapon was giving one by the academy. Basic as it was, it was better than nothing.

Someone tapped Nick's shoulder causing him to turn around. He was surprised by who it was.

"You're here too?"

He asked.

The young woman with silver hair curled at the ends with the tips dyed purple had a friendly expression on her face.

"Mhm, I thought that was you. Glad I wasn't wrong."

Isabel said softly.

"It doesn't seem like there are many others from our class here. At least no one i'm acquainted with."

Isabel nodded her head. She wasn't well acquainted with the others present either. She had hoped she could team up with Alyson or one of her other friends, but they were not in the same block as her. Now that she met Nick, she felt relieved. Turns out she wasn't all alone.

"How about we team up? It'd be easier to survive that way."

Isabel suggested.

While it was not against the rules to team up with others in the first part of the competition it was looked down upon. No one would say anything out loud but they would look at you a bit differently.

Isabel was not the only one who thought of this, as there were many freshman making groups. You could see them gathering together away from the others. Some seemed to know each other, while others did not.

There were a select few that kept their distance, but that was only a minor amount compared to the others.

Nick thought about it for a second. He never underestimated his opponents nor did he put himself above others.

Looking out from the corner of his eye he saw how the students were grouping up. The people in the offensive and defensive division were mixing together. They seemed to be very close to each other. For them anyone in the support division was easy pickings, so why partner up with them?

Nick felt sorry for his fellow peers in the support division but everyone had to carry their own weight.

"Sure."

Nick answered Isabel.

A second later the terrain started to change as grass and boulders appeared. Large trees covered the stage with vines as thick as an arm up high on the branches.

"Disperse as you wish and the battle will begin in 5 minutes."

The announcer said causing all the students to look at each other before they dashed off quickly. Some of the cocky offensive division students stayed put in the middle. They were confident in their abilities and felt there was no need to hide.

"Look who we have here. Seems we weren't the only ones that stayed behind."

One of the males with dark black hair said as he looked at Nick and Isabel.

"What division are you from? Defensive? Surely you aren't from the support division, those guys were the first ones to flee."

Another male asked while he mocked the support division students.

"Why are you mocking the support division? You think you're better than them?"

Isabel erupted with anger. She was upset because she was apart of the support division. They were making fun of what she was apart of, so how could she not be mad?

Everyone was equal, some may be better at others in certain fields but at the end of the day everyone had their flaws. EXO users who were apart of the support division had a wide range of abilities, but that did not mean you could look down on them.

"Chill, don't let your anger control you. Everything will be settled soon."

Nick told Isabel as he grabbed her shoulder trying to calm her down a bit. Her hands were already on her revolver ready to go at any moment.

"You looking down on us? 'Everything will be settled soon' yeah you're right about that."

The male with dark black hair grabbed his sword and pointed it at Nick and Isabel. His actions caused his comrades to draw their weapons as well.

There was seven of them, all of them were in the same class. They moved swiftly as they surrounded Nick and Isabel refusing to let them run away. As soon as the timer hit zero they would attack.

3