BlackCrown: The First Year (III) pt. 37
175 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first match began between the top hundred freshmen. It was a female student from the defensive division versus a male from the offensive division. The match was slightly long as the female continued to dodge all the males attacks. Barely using her EXO ability to defend. She wanted to wear down her opponent before crushing him.

It worked out perfectly too as he was so hot blooded that he charged at her continuously. Wasting away all of his strength and essence focusing on nothing but attacks. Not even when his attacks were being dodged did he try to conserve anything. He probably thought it would be easy no matter what since she looked weaker than him.

The first match was important as it would set the pace for all the ones to come after. That's why the audience was excited about it.

Nick looked up at the screen that showed the matchmaking. If things went like everyone thought none of the four freshman royals would meet until the fourth match.

It was like the person in charge of the matches made it that way, so everything would be built up for those fights. Not that it was a bad thing.

The only downside to fighting one on one was the stage. There was no longer a different type of setting. The stage turned into an square arena, not too large and not too small. It really limited the people who used ranged weapons, while it seemed to favor those who used melee weapons.

If the stage was any larger people who wielded ranged weapons would be able to kite the melee users. They'd hide and shoot from a distance, which would not be fair.

Now they were in an open field where they could easily be seen. The distance between the two fighters would still be a bit of a distance away, but nothing major.

Nick did not have any problems advancing past the first round. His opponent had an offensive EXO ability that allowed him to create and control ice. Nick's opponent was skilled at using his ability, but it could have used more work.

With Nick's speed and ability to read the flow of essence inside his body, no tricks worked against Nick. Once Nick closed the distance it was over for his opponent.

Matthew also did not have much of a problem with his opponent. He tried to limit the use of his EXO ability again to gain more experience.

As much as his opponent would have liked to forfeit the match, there was no such thing at the beginning. To forfeit a match you'd have to battle for at least two minutes. Only then could a person forfeit.

This stopped people from fleeing when they fought against one of the four freshman royals. It also made people challenge themselves.

When Freya's turn came around she had a bit of a struggle, since she was using a sniper rifle. She could not set up and get into position, she had to lug it around. Her movements were hindered by this, but it did not stop her from firing while moving.

Her shots were unstable and mostly off-course from its intended target, but it really pushed Freya past her limits. She got lucky with one of her shots that hit her opponent dead center which knocked him out.

Seeing the limitations of her sniper rifle first hand, Freya knew she needed to make some adjustments to her weapon.

She wanted to stay off in the distance and fire her weapon, but now she had a problem. If her opponent flanked her in any way, she'd be in trouble. So how could she fix that problem?

Her EXO ability allowed her to see the flow in the body and copy a skill she's seen before. She couldn't read the flow like Nick, but seeing it did help her out. It allowed her to gauge how much energy her opponent had left.

"Ugh! What am I going to do?"

Freya asked out loud as she scratched her head.

It would not be long before her match would come up, and when it did she'd be right back in the same predicament as before. Unless her opponent also used longed ranged weapons.

"Why not use a pistol or something? Not like you can't swap weapons in the middle of combat."

Nick suggested.

It wouldn't be strange for a person to use multiple weapons.

"Where am I going to get one? If I come across someone who is skilled, then i'll lose. Granted my close combat skills are good, they are not that good. No way i'll be able to defend against a lance, sword or anything of the sort."

Freya puffed her cheeks and started complaining.

They were in the middle of a competition, how could she find a weapon now? Maybe if it was before the competition then she might. However, she did take note of what Nick said. After this, she'll have to invest in a weapon for close range. Next time she found herself in this situation she'd be prepared.

"Want to use my kusarigama?"

Matthew suggested Freya use his weapon as he held it out. Dark in color and it had a strange glow to it. Matthew felt kind of bad for Freya as she was his friend and he wanted her to go far in the competition. That was why instead of teasing her, he wanted to support her in a way. Lending his weapon was already pushing it, as normal people would never lend out their weapon. As tempting as it was, Freya had to decline.

"No, I don't even know how to use that thing."

Shaking her head full of purple curls she sighed.

"Well, what do you know how to use?"

Nick asked her with a curious gaze. Besides her sniper rifle he was she Freya learned how to wield another weapon. He himself knew how to use an axe, a bow, and a staff, not to mention his sword skills.

Freya tapped her chin for a moment as she looked up thinking about what she knew.

"Sniper rifle, assault rifle, pistols, whip, and baton."

Freya started counting off all the things she was good with. Most of which were firearms.

"Why'd you learn so many firearms? Wasn't one enough?"

Matthew looked at Freya and questioned her.

"My dad loves his guns and he taught me."

Freya casually said as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Why not ask Isabel to lend you her revolvers? You two are close right?"

Nick once again suggested something. He pointed over at Isabel who was chatting with a group of females.

"Close? I wouldn't say that…"

Freya shook her head, Her and Isabel weren't exactly close. They talked a few times but that was it. Maybe they've hung out, but it's been so long that Freya probably forgot about it.

"I can ask her for you… if you want."

"Eh? Since when were you close to her?"

Freya retorted.

"Probably since that gathering he took her to."

Matthew jumped in and added his two cents. He recalled the gathering that happened on that two-week break.

"More like she took me."

Nick replied as he looked at Matthew. The expression on his face unknown, Matthew couldn't tell if he was upset or angry.

"Well… if you want to go ahead. If not, i'll figure something out. I'm not that worried, there is always next years ranking and the next."

2