BlackCrown: The First Year (III) Pt. 53.2
279 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

His body was overflowing with essence, more so than a normal person would have in their body. For that, he had to thank his mother. It was thanks to her that he was able to be here today.

For her strong love of a human, she broke one of the taboos.

Falling in love with a human is possible as long as you do not get close to them.

Getting close, having affection for them, and then getting pregnant by one. That was not supposed to happen.

There were no memories of her inside his head, he never met her once. He's only heard a story about his mother, that was all.

She was a demon lord ranked monster with the body of a human. The only exception were two small horns growing out the back of her head.

She was hunted and killed by a group of high ranking soldiers in the military. They saw she was carrying a child but still killed her. Instead of killing her child as well they took it.

It was not every day they could study the child of a demon lord. Maybe they'd be able to make a breakthrough in their research. Except, the child they found turned out to be human.

They kept the child monitored as they watched him grow up. The test never stopped as they were intrigued by the boy's growth.

Some people in the government wanted to kill the child. Some wanted to experiment on him to see why he seemed so normal.

Both of those groups lost as one man used his authority to take the child under his wing. He gave statements as to why he should be the one to take over the child's growth, to which no one rebutted him.

Although he stated the child would grow into a weapon they could use. The man found himself slowly caring for the child like a son he never had. It wasn't long after that, that the man adopted the child as his own.

Today just like all the other parents he was here seeing his sons growth. Not as a weapon but as a human being. He was always worried about Nicholas' behavior. It couldn't be helped as he knew if Nicholas made a wrong move there would be people gunning for him.

The price for freedom was a great one and he hoped his son would not mess it up. The mission he was on wasn't sanctioned by himself, but he believed this would be a good experience. A chance to interact with others.

He watched as his son stood in front of a group of students from Demeter academy. That look he had on his face, he saw it before. It was full of confidence. He could happily say he was proud of what he's seen so far from his son.

☆☆☆☆☆

Nick glared at the dark-skinned man. Even without using his ability he could tell that this young man was strong.

He couldn't measure if he was up there with Rachel or not, but he felt that if they fought he'd need to use his full power. Including the one, he got from his father.

The others felt it too as they backed away from the young man. Their guards went up as each of them took a stance. Behind the young black man were groups of people fighting each other, but one person was close to the throne.

They had five minutes if no one sat on the throne.

If they grouped up, they'd have a chance to make it before one group took hold of the throne.

"We can't waste time here, although we are ahead by a few points we could still be eliminated. You guys go i'll hold this guy back."

Nick spoke up as he urged his teammates to leave him behind. From the corner of his eye he saw other students off in the distance. Rachel was over there, he couldn't afford to lose before he met her.

Arthur furrowed his eyebrows wondering why Nick was trying to sacrifice himself. Did Nick not believe he could hold his own against this guy?

Arthur had his pride. He might have lost to Nick but that did not mean he wanted to lose again. Since that day he's been training, improving his form, technique, and ability.

"You guys go, i'll take this guy. There are probably others just as strong as him. If you stop here then who'd take care of the ones ahead? Trust me on this, he won't pass me."

Arthur told the others.

Seeing the resolution in his eyes the three of them agreed.

"Hey now, do you really think i'd let you do as you like? Talking like i'm not here?"

The young black man said in a cold tone.

He felt as if he was being ignored by Nick's group. They were making plans as if he wasn't going to stop them.

Talking about how one of them would stay here to hold him back, laughable. Guess he'd need to show them.

He took a half-step before his entire figure disappeared. Before anyone knew it he was already behind Scarlet. The broadsword in his hands was heavy and slow, but to him, it wasn't much.

Nick and Matthew's eyes grew.

He didn't move fast. Nick's speed was quick and there were only a select group of people his age that was faster.

So the question was how'd he get past them in less than a second?

Nick's eyes turned icy blue as he used his EXO ability Providence.

Scarlet was stunned as she did not anticipate the young black man's movements. She tried to jump back but due to her short stature and his long bastard sword, she wouldn't be able to get out of its range.

She heard a clang as she saw Arthur's lance block the blow of his bastard sword.

"Your opponent is right here!"

Arthur yelled out as he used his strength to push the bastard sword to the side.

The dark skinned man grinned.

"You're not half bad. However, can you keep up?"

His body vanished once more.

This time Nick saw it. He wasn't moving, he was teleporting a short distance.

If Arthur fought this guy he'd be beaten badly. Nick could read his flow and react in time against this kind of opponent.

"Arthur to your left."

Nick spoke up quickly just as the dark-skinned man appeared to the left of Arthur.

Arthur's body moved by instinct as he swung his lance blocking the attack coming his way.

This time the dark-skinned man was stunned as he stared at Nick. How'd he know where he'd appear?

Seeing Arthur block the attack Scarlet let out a sigh of relief. She knew she couldn't handle an opponent like this. She hated to admit it, but if anyone could it'd be Nick.

"I think it's better for Nick to handle this Arthur, you're not his match."

"Shut up!"

Arthur yelled causing Scarlet to snort.

"What are you still doing here? Why aren't you guys going to take the throne, I said I have this!"

Matthew saw the look in Arthur's eyes. He knew this would be challenging but he still accepted it. He might lose, but he refused to give up.

Matthew tapped Nick on the shoulder and motioned for Nick to go up the hill with him.

Arthur wanted to do this his way, then let him.

Nick hesitated for a second but ultimately went up the hill with Matthew and Scarlet. The young dark-skinned man tried to stop them but was blocked by Arthur.

"I told you, your opponent is right here. I'll have to say I was caught off guard by your little trick but it won't work again."

The dark-skinned young man's eyes were cold as he glared at Arthur.

"You're starting to get on my nerves. If you want to play that badly, then i'll play with you."

Arthur took a stance with his lance pointed at the dark-skinned man.

"I hope you've tasted defeat before, if not then allow me to be your first."

"You're a funny kid, what's your name?"

"Does it matter?"

"Not really, but i'd like to know the name of the person i'm about to beat."

"Name's Arthur but you'll be the one on the losing end."

"Ha, I doubt it. I'm Nicholas, but you can call me Nick."

Matthew glanced back and saw the two of them getting ready to fight.

He hoped Arthur would make it back to them.

As the three of them continued up the hill they met with more people trying to stop them. Using teamwork the three of them managed to get close to the throne. However, there was already someone seated on it.

Seeing the person on the throne caused Nick to shake his head.

It just had to be her.

Long violet hair with purplish blue eyes. In her hands was a longbow.

As she spotted Nick she smiled.

"I knew you couldn't stay away from me."

She said in a teasing tone.

Her teammates were already occupied fighting other students trying to take the throne. However, she could hold her own.

Getting off the throne would cause them to not gain as much points, but with the bow, in her hands, she didn't need to leave. All those that tried to take the throne from her would be shot.

"Well, what can I say, guess you could call this fate."

Nick stepped forward.

"So you coming off your throne for that duel now or are you planning to sit there?"

Violet laughed. She knew what he was trying to do. Making her leave her seat so his friends could take it.

While having a high rank was important for her academy it meant nothing to her. Seeing how she and Nick had a bet that needed to be completed she left her spot.

"What are you doing Violet? Why'd you step down?"

One of her teammates spotted her leaving the throne. Honestly, he did not know what she was up to. Was she out of her mind?

"Be quiet, this doesn't concern you."

Violet quickly replied to her teammate.

He gritted his teeth but did not say another word. They were in fourth place right now for King of The Hill. If they held onto the throne for the full three minutes then they'd be able to reach third place.

As long as they weren't too worn out they could compete for a while longer even if they gave up this throne. There were less than two minutes left before the hill vanished anyways.

He doubted these guys would be able to get enough points to pass their score.

Violet pulled her bowstring back and an arrow made of lightning appeared. She aimed at Nick and released, but the arrow was blocked by Matthew's short sword.

"What is this? I thought we were going to have our match?"

Violet asked with a frown on her face.

She expected Nick to be a man of his word.

Nick shrugged his shoulder, he was planning on fighting Violet but Matthew stepped up.

"Violet this isn't the right place for you two to duel. Think about it he's exhausted, you're exhausted. Which one of you has more stamina than the other, whose in the better condition here? You need to fight on equal footing, this isn't fair. So allow me to entertain you instead."

Matthew twirled his short swords around as he explained.

Violet was furious that he got in her way. She calmed herself down right away. Instead of speaking any further she knocked another arrow back and shot it towards Nick.

Matthew blocked it again but found another arrow coming. Behind that one was another and another. Violet just continued to shoot with calm eyes.

Suddenly she felt the pressure around her change and her movements began to slow down.

'Increased gravity?' She thought to herself.

With the increase in gravity Matthew started dashing towards her but to his surprise, Violet's movements didn't seem the least bit hindered. He started to wonder if his powers were even working on her.

Violet managed to adjust her body according to the change in gravity. With this slight increase, it might overwhelm some people but not her.

"You'll need to be better than this if you want to beat me."

Her tone was full of arrogance as she kited away from Matthew while knocking back arrow after arrow.

While the two of them were fighting it out Scarlet took the throne.

Only thirty seconds went by before the hill vanished and with it the throne Scarlet was seated on.

Demeter managed to gain some points but it wasn't what Nick was hoping for. They wasted a lot of time getting up this hill while battling other students.

With two new hills emerging he feared they wouldn't be able to conqueror any.

His eyes locked onto Arthur, he somehow managed to keep himself together while fighting against the dark-skinned youth. Nick could see that Arthur was tired, he wouldn't be able to last much longer.

Although two new hills appeared everyone was busy fighting each other. There were only a few that went towards the two new hills.

The bald announcer appeared on the screen and stated what academy was eliminated. It wasn't Demeter but now they were in last place.

"We should make our move."

Nick told Scarlet as he looked at the hill twelve meters away from them. Scarlet didn't say anything but moved her body.

As the two of them approached the next hill they were blocked by a young woman with black hair and black eyes.

"You should leave Scarlet."

Scarlet glanced up at Nick and saw how he was staring at the young woman in front of them. The young woman didn't seem to mind Scarlet at all as her eyes were focused on Nick.

Scarlet knew who the young woman was, it was almost impossible not to know as she was famous. Although this woman didn't attend their school she was crowned as the strongest freshman.

Scarlet did not understand why Nick would try to stay here and fight her, or what grievances these two had. However, he listened to him and left. There was nothing she could do.

She agreed to join the team but so far she's barely fought and has been sitting on the throne. Now that there were fewer people aiming for the throne and more focused on fighting off the others she should take this chance to be a bit more useful.

Others were tired but she wasn't.

She might not be able to defend herself against everyone, but she'd find a way to make Demeter gain more points.

Nick took out his sword and pointed it towards Rachel.

"Aren't you jumping the gun a bit too fast?"

Rachel questioned Nick.

"Remember, I told you i'd tell you about that young girl when we met again. I'm sure you're dying to know anyway, so let me tell you."

Rachel did not have any weapon in her hand at the moment. Nick thought that she meant if he beat her, she'd tell him. That was not the case it seems.

"First off, what I tell you is what I remember. It was a long time ago but my memory of that moment isn't the least bit fuzzy. Believe me, if want or not, but I never lie.

Secondly, don't go telling others about what i'm going to tell you. My father may want to keep you in the dark about some things to control your path, but I can't let that happen. Therefore, keep this a secret.

I'll keep it short and quick. That girl approached me and told me that she had something others wanted. Something people would kill her for. She knew they were coming but did not want to give up what was hers nor lose her life. She was sent here to America to get away from those people but they followed her trail. There were a few people protecting her from the shadows, however, they aren't really important. What's important is that your relationship with her was a fantasy. A stage setup to trick those after her.

She asked me to kill her, but she said she wouldn't really die. However, she needed everyone to think she died and her treasure lost. With you as the lead actor and those around you as the supporting cast her plan succeed."

Rachel spoke in a tone that was low enough for Nick to hear.

Nick listened to her but didn't believe her for a second. He attended her funeral, touched her cold body. The blood he felt that day, how could someone fake that?

Besides, why would she come all the way to America just to use him as the main actor? It made no sense at all.

Nick refused to believe what Rachel said, but from all the time he has known her, one thing never changed. Rachel never lied.

Thoughts clouded his mind causing him to overlook Rachel. This was the moment he was going to fight her, get his revenge. Bring his mind to peace because of what she's done.

If what she spoke was true, then fighting her was pointless!

At this moment he did not know whether to be upset or angry.

☆☆☆☆☆

Klyde was seated in the stands his eyes focused on Rachel and Nick. Both his children with potential. He loved the fact that Nick disliked Rachel and wanted to get ahead of her.

It was what drove him forward.

Seeing the two of them just standing there was not what he wanted to see. They weren't fighting but he could see Rachel moving her lips. It was too far for him to read what she was saying, but from the way he saw Nick react, he knew it couldn't be too good.

'What the hell is that child up to?' He asked himself as he hoped Rachel did not say anything she shouldn't have.

☆☆☆☆☆

Nick shook his head and took a deep breath.

"The past cannot be undone and the way I feel hasn't changed. The words you speak may be true, but until I can confirm them I still need to give myself peace. If I don't fight you today, i'll have failed her."

Nick said as he took a stance.

His mind much calmer than before.

He shouldn't dwell on Rachel's words but focus on his fight with her instead. He promised Alex, he promised himself that he would get his revenge. Even if that revenge is now false, he still needed to make do.

"Very well."

Rachel stretched her arm out and a spear appeared.

Nick's never fought her before, but he saw what she was capable of. When they were kids she often spoke of how her family told her how gifted she was.

Her ability was strong even among her family. Now Nick was about to face her.

His eyes turned icy blue and he dashed forward. Rachel did the same as she quickly darted in his direction.

Her speed seemed even quicker than his own.

Nick couldn't read her like the others. Manifest was just the ability to take on another form. Rachel wasn't even fully transformed, she only summoned her weapon.

He could see the directions her attacks were going but that was all.

The two of them went back and forth, attacking and blocking. Sometimes dodging.

Both their figures were blurs as Nick swung his sword but Rachel deflected his attack. She used the length of her spear to her advantage. It supported her as she flipped over Nick's body after deflecting his attack.

Her spear was swung in an arc. Nick managed to block her attack but the force behind it caused him to slid back.

Rachel gained the upper hand in their fight. Her spear was agile and precise. Each time she attacked she went straight for the holes in Nick's defense.

Nick wasn't able to find time to attack her, he was in defensive mode. Using his full speed didn't help him. He couldn't even defend fully against all of Rachel's attacks.

"This is slightly disappointing, I was hoping you'd be better than this."

Rachel's words stung.

He was better than this. He wasn't far behind Rachel, he couldn't be.

Nick gritted his teeth. He was limiting himself, hating Klyde and not using the other half of his power. With just Providence, he couldn't win. He could barely defend.

There was an audience, thousands of people were here.

Nick didn't want to use the other half of his power with people around. Then they'd know, they'd know he was the bastard son of the guardian family. He'd be lumped in with the rest of them.

It was his secret, his trump card. Yet, he did not want to lose against Rachel.

Nick was standing at a crossroad.

Reveal to the world his true strength or keep it in the dark.

'One of these days you'll wish you thanked me. I'm not telling you to limit yourself due to who your father is, but due to the fact it'll only make you stronger.'

'Remember Nick, you're special. Different from the rest and in time you'll surpass Klyde himself.'

Words echoed in his ear, it was what his sensei told him a long time ago.

Nick decided as he jumped back to put distance between him and Rachel.

Nick reached his hand out in front of him as a block lock appeared. Gripping it tightly, he crushed the lock.

Nick's body surged with essence. The power was so intense it pushed the air away from his body.

Rachel's body slid back under the sudden release of essence. Her eyes grew wide, she wasn't expecting this.

Those in the crowd were even more in shock.

"Manifest, Ninetails."

Nick's curly brown hair turned jet black and his whole body had a dark blue aura around it. Two black fox ears appeared on his head while nine black furry tails emerged from his tailbone. From his long and sharp fingernails, he looked like a human fox.

"What the hell is this? Another child in the guardian family?"

"Whose kid is that? I thought they were all accounted for?"

"Hmm, from the look Rachel has this is even a surprise to her. It can't be an act, maybe it's some bastard child."

The spectators were in an uproar. This was big news, as each child in the guardian family was powerful. Now a new one appeared, leaving everyone to wonder whose son this was.

Klyde raised his eyebrow but he wasn't too shocked. He hoped Nick would inherit his ability, but when he saw that Nick only showed a talent for Providence he was disappointed. He knew that the chances of him having two abilities were slim but there was still hope, considering how dominant both abilities were.

Now that he was seeing it with his own eyes how could he not be happy. At least this confirmed his suspicion.

A smile appeared on his face.

'Everything always works out for the best.'

Nick's mother already knew about his other power. She was just surprised that he decided to use it here and now. She knew that he didn't like others to know that he had this ability, but she was glad. Happy he was accepting who he was.

Celia had her own thoughts but did not voice them. Everyone had their own secrets.

While everyone was talking about Nick and the guardian family, Nick was on stage ready to go at it again with Rachel.

Rachel laughed a little.

"So this is what you were hiding!"

She licked her lips.

"You didn't let me down."

She told him as her body was covered in a white light.

"Manifest, Valkyrie."

Her surge, in essence, wasn't as powerful as Nicks. She wasn't limiting her essence at all, just holding back. When the white light dimmed Rachel's clothing change.

There was a silver tiara on her heard that looked as if it would fly away with the wings on its side. Her chest was covered by a metal breastplate that was attached to cloth. It looked skimpy since it was showing a lot of her skin, but the cloth was long and feel down to her knees. On her back were four wings, the top two larger than the bottom two. On her left arm was a golden shield that seemed like it sprouted wings.

Rachel was beautiful in her new form, like one of the goddesses.

From Nick's golden colored eyes he could see a transparent barrier around Rachel's body.

Nick's sword was engulfed in a black flame while Rachels spear was covered with a golden light as radiant as the sun.

The two of them blurred leaving only afterimages. The sound of their weapons clashing against each other caused a small shockwave.

Nick was fast, he started to attack Rachel relentlessly.

He managed to slip past her defense, but his sword fell onto the transparent barrier around her body. It stopped his attack from going any further.

Clicking his tongue he stepped away from Rachel before her spear reached him.

His body quickly faded into a shadow. This technique worked better at night but it could still be used during the day.

He materialized behind Rachel and struck, but Rachel flew up in the air.

Nick swung his sword creating black crescent arcs that flew towards Rachel.

Rachel swung her spear creating one long golden arc that collided with Nick's black arcs. The two attacks caused a small explosion.

Rachel used the smoke from the explosion and dove straight down at Nick. Her body was engulfed in golden light.

Nick's eyesight was stronger in this form, he saw the golden light coming at him and prepared himself. At the tip of his sword, he concentrated his Fox Fire.

Even if he wanted to, he couldn't use Torment or Fox Illusion. With the barrier around Rachel, it was protecting her from harmful effects. He tried it before during their clash but found it had no effect on her.

His only option was to cut through her barrier. His Fox Fire could do it if he aimed at a single point with all his strength.

At this point, the students that were still fighting each other stopped. They were amazed at the scene in front of them. Who knew that there was a student that could compete with Rachel.

They took started to become spectators.

After today things would change.

Boom!

The two of them clashed once again.

Nick's attack caused Rachel's barrier to vanish and her wings started to burn with black flames. The flames were spreading slowly and she found herself unable to take flight.

Nick coughed up a bit of blood but he still stood tall.

Rachel found her vision changing. Nick vanished, all those around them disappeared.

Rachel was alone in a dark space. Two large golden eyes appeared. Those eyes felt like they would pierce her soul.

She knew this wasn't real. It was some sort of illusion and a powerful at that. She couldn't escape.

Nick got her. She was trapped in an illusionary realm, bound to be tormented by what she feared most while the nine tailed fox would unleash its wrath on her.

As he was relishing in his victory he saw that Rachel's body was still moving. He was certain she was trapped so why was her body moving?

Rachel's eyes were radiant, as a bright light came out of them.

"The tricks you play are child's play."

Rachel threw her spear into the ground.

"Behold the holy fury."

Rays of light crashed down to the ground as if they were being attracted to the spear. Each time the light hit the ground it caused the ground to shake and the projection to go away.

Under the countless impact, the projection of the hills and plains vanished. Nick was struck by the rays of light and he screamed out in pain.

A loud buzzer went off.

Ten minutes went and the hills were gone. No one wanted to stop the fight between Nick and Rachel.

"Winner, Athena Academy."

The bald announcer yelled out in the mic causing the spectators to burst out in cheers.

They were bound to win, with the number of points they obtained. The scoreboard showed that Demeter Academy was still in fourth place, just two points away from coming in third.

However, before Athena had the chance to celebrate their victory everyone's phone vibrated.

The screen floating in the air changed.

"This is a national broadcast. Demonic Beasts have broken through and are now attacking the following states… All EXO users are hereby required to help eliminate the threat!"

The same broadcast was repeated five times in a row.

TO BE CONTINUED…

2