Arc 1.1 – Dancing On The Strings
62 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Welcome To The Cracked Earth

 He blinked at the small window in front of him, confused for a moment by the box.  It faded out of sight after a few seconds, leaving Chris in the dark room. He groaned a little, an odd ache in his body, as he tried to push against the hard floor to stand up.

 

The cold stone against his hands brought with it a shudder.  Chris managed to stand up, his balance somewhat off as he swayed.  As he turned around, trying to study the darkness around him, torches on the walls burst to life.

 

The wooden torches cast enough light that Chris could finally see something.  Four pillars sat away from the walls, holding up an arched ceiling that was made of the same stone as the floor.

 

“Well, now that you’re awake perhaps we can get on with this?” a voice called out from the darkness behind him.

 

Chris nearly jumped out of his skin at the voice, and whirled around to face the speaker.  It was a woman, one who stood six feet tall and was draped in a green dress. The dress clung tight to the body, flowing down the curves and proving a bit of a distraction.

 

Chris wrenched his gaze back up to the woman’s face, and marveled at the perfection.  The skin was smooth and without a flaw, while emerald hair curled down to frame it. Dark green eyes looked at him, a softness to them that made him for a moment wonder if he knew her.

 

“Or are you not going to bother creating your character?” she asked after Chris failed to respond to her.

 

Chris rubbed at his temple as a slight headache set in.  He remembered that he’d come here to play The Cracked Earth, a game that’d been out for only a couple of months.

 

There had been a few things that’d set it apart from the other games on the market.  One was that the game obscured information, making it so that a player could not view their statistics.  The only things visible were their name, inventory, health, magic, class, stamina, and anything related to skills.

 

If they had a level, how much their stats were growing, even the hard numbers of the health and other such stats were hidden away.  Instead the only way a player could see how much health remained was via the red bar on their HUD.

 

Chris had found that a bit of an interesting feature, and so he’d opted to play the game.  His friends had told him to not bother, that the game was nowhere near as fun as the others, but there’d been a certain uniqueness to it that’d drawn him in.

 

With a shake of his head he threw away his thoughts, and instead focused on the task at hand.  “Sorry about that, mind if I start the process?”

 

The woman gave a light sigh of frustration.  She lifted up one hand, her fingers moving so fast that he couldn’t even follow the movements, and then a window opened in front of him.

 

 

Please Choose Your Race

Human

Found in Faran and Ghandahar, they are the most common of all major races and can change into most of the classes.

Elf

Characterized by their light bodies and quick movements, the elves originate from Ghandahar and were created by the God of Magic.  Though frailer than humans they tend to have better mana pools. Elf spawns are restricted to the cities of Ghandahar.

Dwarf

Stout and subterranean, the dwarves are a hardy race often found at the frontline of combat.  They come with inherent night vision and have passive bonuses toward stamina. Dwarven spawns are restricted to the mountains of Faran.

??????

There are dozens of races in The Cracked Earth, but no others have been discovered so far.  As new ones are unlocked everyone will be given the chance to pray to a God in order to change to the new race.

 

He stared at it and then reached out to touch the button marked Human.  He felt, for some reason, that it was the most appropriate choice. A new window appeared asking if he was certain, to which he confirmed, and then a final window popped up asking for a character name.

 

A name came to him as he stared at that empty box, and he put it in without a second thought.  After that he crossed his arms and waited, wondering what he was supposed to do next.

 

“Galmi Marion? Are you certain you want that to be your name?” the green woman asked as she approached Chris.

 

“Yeah, why?”

 

The woman didn’t respond with more than a smile.  Instead she lifted up her hand and put it gently on his chest.  He looked down at the hand, confused, but what came next only compounded his confusion.

 

She pushed him with a strength that was far more than what one would expect given her physique.  As he started to fall over backward he windmilled his arms in an attempt to regain his balance, but with the force and the surprise he had no hope of recovering.

 

Yet the stone floor he’d expected to collide with never appeared, and as he continued to fall Galmi realized that the walls were gone.  Instead what he saw were clouds around him, and a beautiful blue sky. A glance over his shoulder gave him a brief glimpse of a lush green forest, and something circular and blue directly below him.

 

As the ground grew closer he began to understand what the blue circle was.  A large lake, one that was surrounded on all sides by grass. Even from high up Galmi could make out dark figures in the water, shadows that he hoped were only fish.

 

When he impacted with the surface of the lake he flinched, but his expectations of death or pain were for naught.  Instead he sank all the way to the bottom without any damage. He opened his eyes in surprise, seeing the schools of fish that’d gathered in curiosity near him.

 

That was when he accidentally swallowed a bit of the lake water, and he started to panic.  He swam hurriedly to the surface, gasping in air as soon as he crested. He treaded water for a moment, breathing in the cool air, and then looked around for the shoreline.

 

With only a little bit of effort he managed to cross the lake and reach the shore.  At first he crawled out of the lake, and then after he’d gotten his feet completely under him he stood up.

 

Galmi continued to breath heavy as he looked around, his body aching from the hard swim.  Every bit of clothing on his body was soaked all the way through, a chill had started to come over him, and he was certain a fish had nibbled on him during his swim.

 

Rubbing his arms in an attempt to warm himself, Galmi began to check the nearby area.  All he saw were trees, as a forest ringed the clearing of the lake. There were no signs of roads, nor even basic trails, that would mark civilization.

 

“Huh,” was about all he could muster.

 

Galmi was thoroughly stumped.  He knew that it was common for a game to deposit you in a city, and the race selection screen had even mentioned that humans spawned in cities.  Yet he was out in the middle of nowhere. In the end about all he could do was pick a random direction and start walking.

 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

 

The town of Faeriver was one of heavy activity, which only grew busier as more players logged in.  The game was still fresh, barely out for more than a few months, and it showed as in the starting towns there was always a crowd.  A trio of individuals had gathered in the town plaza, each of them fresh to the game.

 

Though the three were friends they each had their own ideas on what to do, a fact that’d caused a bit of a disagreement between them.  To that end they’d gathered to try and coordinate, as they’d come not to play alone but with each other.

 

“We should work on mastering weapons in the training hall,” Marcus offered to the other two, as he waved his short sword and shield as though to emphasize the point.

 

“Maybe we can use a library,” Selene counter-offered, a bit of a glisten to her blue eyes at the thought of reading.

 

“Hell no, we’re here to kill monsters,” Nika declared, “not fall asleep or poke straw dummies.”

 

“But you don’t even know how to use any skills,” Marcus pointed out, “and we have no clue how fast our stamina drains.  Be a bad idea to tangle with anything like we are now.”

 

“Books maybe,” Selene whispered as she became a bit more withdrawn as the two began their argument.

 

“It’s not like it matters if we die, besides poking straw ain’t exciting,” Nika replied, “I’m here for murdering monsters!”

 

The old friends glared at each other for a bit, but then Marcus noticed how Selene was reacting.  “Look, we have all the time to do whatever we want,” Marcus said, “so maybe we could go check out the library.  It might have some good info on the local monsters and their weaknesses.”

 

Selene’s face brightened at his words and she nodded her head in agreement.  The smile on her face caused Nika’s anger to falter, and she finally gave up with a shrug.  “Sure, let’s go to the library.”

 

“But I have no clue where it is,” Marcus admitted as he helplessly spread his hands.

 

Selene giggled a little at that, while Nika didn’t even hold back her laughter and slapped her thigh.  “Let’s ask someone for a little help then.”

 

All three turned to look at the nearby crowd, hoping for directions, but a woman had already seemed to notice their plight.  “Help? Did you need some help?” the stranger asked.

 

“Yes, do you happen to know where the city library is?” Marcus asked the stranger.

 

The woman motioned off to the west of the plaza.  “Head that way, then turn north after a few streets, it’s pretty big so you can’t miss it.”

 

“Great, thanks,” Nika said as she wrapped one arm around Selene’s shoulder and dragged her friend away, “let’s go!”

 

A bit more formal than was necessary, Marcus gave a somewhat practiced bow to the woman.  “You have our thanks, my lady,” he said in a far too serious voice.

 

“Think nothing of it,” the green haired woman told him, “I love helping new people.”

 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

 

Two hours later Galmi had already collapsed on the ground, his body aching from the continual strain he’d put it under.  His face was shoved into the grass, the scent of it filling his nose. It wasn’t a bad ground for all intents and purposes, and he started to think that it might make a good spot for a nap.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

The voice caused Galmi to look up in surprise.  A young boy and an older man had shown up, with a small bundle of wood held by the child.  The older man, who Galmi could only guess was the father, had a protective hand on the boy’s shoulder.

 

Galmi’s eyes shone with hope as he started to squirm along the ground at the two.  “Please give me some food,” Galmi begged of them with a hint of a tear in the corner of one eye, “I’m starving and I don’t have anything!”

 

The older man recoiled from Galmi, making certain to pull his son further away from the squirming fellow.  “Aren’t you an adventurer?” the father asked, “I know that you all have food in your magic bags, so don’t lie to me.”

 

Galmi paused in his actions at that and stared at the man, his face showcasing fully well how stupid he felt in that moment.  He’d completely forgotten that the game probably had given him some starting items.

 

“Inventory!” he yelled at the thin air.

 

Inventory

Broken Useless Sword

A broken, frail, and barely useable item.  Offers almost no damage bonus and is most assuredly going to be broken on the first use.

Wooden Shoes

A simple pair of wooden shoes that offer minor protection.  It is possible to get splinters from these shoes, so caution is recommended.

Bread Hat

A hat made of bread, which has a chance of being edible.  It does not look very delicious.

 

 

Galmi stared in confusion at the oddity of the items, but the rumble in his stomach made him forget all about that.  He mentally willed the bread hat out from his inventory, the item appearing in his hands. He bit into it and immediately regretted it, due to how hard and bland it was, but as he had nothing else to eat Galmi continued to chew.

 

A canteen landed in front of him on the grass, and Galmi didn’t even think about the potential for it to be poisoned.  Instead he scooped it up and swallowed the barely edible bread with the help of the water. He wiped at his mouth and looked at the man.

 

“Thanks for the water,” he said as he offered the canteen back.

 

“Keep it,” was the response of the old man, as he patted his son on the head, “and thank him.  I was going to leave you to die.”

 

The little boy smiled at Galmi, which he could only respond to with a smile of his own.  “Thanks man, I was getting worried there,” he said as he stood up.

 

“You looked real funny!” the little boy declared.

 

“He still does,” the father whispered, before he cleared his throat, “what are you doing out here?”

 

Galmi brushed himself off.  “I just logged in today for the first time, but some crazy woman pushed me and I fell and landed in the lake back there.”

 

The man stared at Galmi with a bit of a blank look, but then waved his hand as though all those words didn’t matter.  “The name’s Robert, and this is my son Tim,” he told Galmi, “you really should get some gear and supplies before you come out here.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll do that once I find a place to buy things.”

 

Robert turned and started to walk off to the south, his son following after him.  “Follow me, we’re heading back to Linkston so I can show you the way.”

 

Galmi gave a shrug of his shoulders at that, as he had nowhere else to go.  He had to do a quick little run to catch up to Robert, but after that he mimicked the man’s pace.  As they walked Galmi asked him about where they were, along with other questions, and quickly he began to learn about the town of Linkston.

 

It was only an hour later that they arrived at the town.  Linkston was a bit on the small side, with a dozen houses for the entire population.  There was no wall around the town, and the road that lead into it was dirt. A small well was at the center of the town, and even from the distance Galmi could make out a few signs that marked the usual stores one would find in a town.

 

Once they were in the town Tim threw his bundle of wood into a pile near a stone house.  He waved at his dad and ran off, his target a group of children who were tossing a ball back and forth.  Robert gave Galmi a pat on the back before he stepped into the house, and Galmi was left alone once again.

 

Galmi decided to walk around the town and figure out where everything was, and also hoped he might find some free loot.  Yet what he discovered was that he had no money, and everything required that. He’d even tried talking to the pigs and chickens, hoping for some hidden quest, but all he got in return were odd looks from the villagers.

 

In the end he decided he’d need to get money by killing things in the forest, and so he headed back into the wilderness.  Armed with his almost broken sword he was primed for any encounter.

 

What he came across first was a fairly large rodent, one that had a white stripe running down its back.  The whiskers were long, yet the fur was short, and it moved slowly and didn’t even seem to notice Galmi.

 

It was a good chance for him to get his first kill, and so Galmi leapt at the creature and swung his sword.  The blade barely bit into the flesh of the creature, but it was enough to cause a screech of pain. The furry tail lifted up and smacked desperately at his wrist.

 

The impact of the tail was almost comical, a fluffy bit of annoyance that Galmi barely noticed.  He ground his teeth and tried to push the blade further into the monster, hoping for more damage.

 

What came next caused him to realize that he’d made a bit of a mistake in his choice of prey.  The tail pointed straight up and the critter stretched so that its rear faced Galmi. It was at that moment the skunk rat used its main weapon, and all Galmi could do was close his eyes and holler at the searing pain.

 

He rubbed at his eyes in an attempt to get rid of the chemical, but it only seemed to make the pain worse. Sharp teeth dug into his ankle as he tried to deal with the blindness.  The skunk rat chewed, not letting go of the ankle, and Galmi shouted and tried to kick it away to no avail.

 

In the end all he could do was start punching at the creature near him, relying on the pain in his ankle to guide his fists.  The sword he’d been using was forgotten, embedded in the skunk rat. He felt the fur and skin against his fingers, and Galmi gripped hold of the fur and brought his other fist down upon it.  

 

He kept punching, ignoring the feel of bones cracking beneath his fists.  He hammered the monster over and over, and only stopped when the skunk rat ceased chewing.  There was the sensation of a convulsion from the skunk rat, and so Galmi lifted his one foot up and brought it down on what he hoped was the head of the monster.

 

You Have Learned A New Skill

Blind Fighting

Level 1(0%) Beginner

You have learned the hard way how to fight while blinded. You have started to gain awareness of your other senses to make up for it.

 

With heavily blurred vision Galmi could barely make out the new box that floated in front of him, as well as the dissipating skunk rat.  As the body vanished a cloud of white particles replaced it, and swirled through the air around him. After a few seconds all of the particles funneled into his body.

 

“Alright!” Galmi shouted happily with upraised fists, trying his best to ignore the pain in his eyes.

 

It was only then that he realized that he didn’t have his broken sword and so he started to look desperately for it.  Yet with the blurred vision he had that proved difficult, and so he waited for the blindness to go away.

 

Once he could properly see again he found the sword in no time.  He picked it up, almost cradling his first weapon, but then he realized that the blade had fully broken.  “Oh come on,” he muttered, and shoved the scrap metal into his inventory.

 

Without another word he turned and started to walk back in the direction of the town, only to trip over something on the ground.  He hit the dirt hard and his face collided with a large branch.

 

Galmi stood back up from the ground as his rage built, and he scooped up the branch and waved it at the sky.  “Why can’t anything go right for me!” he hollered at the heavens.

 

 

You Have Found A New Item

Hefty Branch

Two-Handed Staff

Blunt Damage

A large branch that fell off of a tree.  It was a lonely branch, but thankfully you found it.

 

Galmi stared at the box, not believing it for a second, but in the end all he could do was accept what the game told him.  It was a far better weapon than the sword he’d started with and yet it was garbage on the forest floor.

 

Before he headed back to the town he looked to see what he’d tripped over and noticed it was a pelt, one that had a white stripe on it.  He picked it up with tears almost in his eyes, and hugged the stinky fur.

 

He deposited it into his inventory, and then came to a decision.  If he used his branch then he could probably kill the skunk rats easily, and if he got more pelts he’d probably be able to sell them for a lot of money.

 

With the thought of returning to the town forgotten, Galmi spent the next hour killing skunk rats with the branch.  He only got sprayed a couple of times during that hour and made quick work of the slow monsters.

 

“God bless this branch,” Galmi said to himself, after having slain the fifteenth skunk rat.

 

With more than enough loot gathered he decided it was time to head back to town.  He wandered through the sparse outskirts of the forest, following a hunting trail back to Linkston.

 

He walked into the town with a grin on his face, ready to sell the pelts.  What he was greeted with were shouts from the townsfolk, as well as being banned temporarily from the stores and even the inn.  The common consensus among the town was that Galmi smelled.

 

“If you take a bath they might be less upset,” Robert told Galmi, when the adventurer showed up at his doorstep.

 

“But how can I do that if they won’t let me into the inn?”

 

“Hold on a moment,” he told Galmi before he slipped back into his house, and when he returned he tossed Galmi a piece of soap, “there’s a stream to the east.  Go wash off in that.”

 

Thirty minutes later Galmi was still in the middle of the stream.  The water was cool, but not to the point of being uncomfortable, and so Galmi had opted to linger in it.  As he started to float in the shallow river he noticed the sun had begun to set.

 

Galmi closed his eyes, the sensation of weightlessness comforting.  “This is such a nice place.”

 

As he floated in the stream he could feel the flow of the water about him, and the sensation of the fish as they slipped around his still body.  Some nibbled at him, as though seeking out dead flesh to feast on, but none did any damage.

 

With his eyes closed Galmi felt like he could almost see the fish.  Though there were no colors within that mental picture, there were still flashes of where the fish were and what they looked like. It was at that moment Galmi realized his Blind Fighting ability was allowing him to perceive more around him.

 

With that epiphany Galmi leapt out of the stream, once again waterlogged from extended time in water.  He ignored the sensation of weight that the soaked clothing gave him, and instead ran off into the forest once more.

 

Once he found a skunk rat Galmi pulled out his wooden branch and prepared himself.  He glared at the animal, and then slowly closed his eyes and tried to let his skill help him.

 

After he got within what he considered range of it Galmi started to swing his makeshift staff.  The weapon failed to hit anything the first few times, but with every miss his mental image of the area near him sharpened.  Eventually he managed to land a blow on the head of the skunk rat, and it was a hit hard enough to knock it out in one strike.

 

“Alright! I think this might be a good idea,” Galmi said as he hurriedly checked his skill listing.

 

 

Skills

Skill

Level

Description

Blind Fighting

4(43%) Beginner

You have learned the hard way how to fight while blinded. You have started to gain awareness of your other senses to make up for it.

Two-Handed Weapons

2(51%) Beginner

You are accustomed to fighting with two-handed weapons.  While using them you gain a bonus to damage based on skill level.

Sword Fighting

1(5%) Beginner

Increases damage and accuracy with a one-handed sword.

Pitiable

8(77%) Beginner

You’ve learned how to look pitiful, and have learned how to gain goodwill from others.  Your whining and sad image make others feel bad for you, and they are more likely to donate due to that.  Required skill for the Beggar class.

 

Galmi gave a nod of his head at the list, as he was quite happy with how his blind fighting skill had grown.  He’d failed to notice the acquisition of the sword skill, but it was as he read the last one that his brain froze.  He didn’t even know how he’d gotten it, nor why.

 

In his mind Galmi dismissed it, if he needed to beg for something he would.  It wasn’t like pride would feed him, or give him water, or help him in a fight.

 

At the least Robert had shown that he didn’t mind helping him.  Galmi headed back to the stream to wash off the fresh stench of death and skunk rat, feeling content with knowing that he could use his blind fighting skill as he wished.

 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

 

The next morning Robert was more than glad to trade with Galmi now that he didn’t smell. The skunk rat furs, while a bit potent in smell, could be used for all sorts of items if one had the time to prepare them.  A few words were traded between the two, and then Galmi found a pile of coins in his hands. He stared in wonder at the amount, a single silver and ninety copper, and he had the urge to cry.

 

“If you really want something to do besides killing rats, why don’t you get some red firewood to the south?” Robert offered to Galmi.

 

 

You Have A New Quest

Difficulty 1/5

Acquire Some Firewood

Robert the Tracker has asked you to pick up some firewood from the forest to the south. It would be very useful for Linkston as winter is coming.

Collect 50 pieces of wood

 

“I’ll do it!” Galmi exclaimed excitedly as he dashed out the door.

 

A few minutes later and he’d already gotten halfway to the forest, his heavy stick nestled across his shoulders.  He ran as hard as he could and slipped past the townsfolk, leaving behind Linkston in no time. Yet by the time he reached the edge of the forest he was gasping for air and had to come to a stop, his energy drained and his staff temporarily used for support.

 

You Have Learned A New Skill

Quickened Recovery

Level 1(0%) Beginner

Through constant over usage of your stamina you’ve started to learn how to recover faster, regaining the spent energy. The higher the skill level the easier your stamina can regenerate.

 

“All...right!” Galmi gasped out in between deep breaths.  He straightened his back and staggered into the forest, pushing on even though he clearly should take some time to rest.

 

The interior of the forest was quite different from the open area of the town, and the southern section held a more oppressive feeling.  The red trees were far larger than the ones he’d become accustomed to, and the sound of birds became sparse.

 

The first thing that Galmi came across as he sought out firewood was a wolf, one with a dark brown fur coat.  It snarled at him and bared its teeth, far more aggressive than he’d expected.

 

Galmi backed away, hefting his branch up into a ready position.  He watched as the wolf slavered at the mouth, and felt a shiver run down his spine.

 

Before Galmi could hope to plan out a proper strategy the wolf charged him, the jaw of the creature snapping quickly at him.  Galmi found as he tried to fend them off that he was in a losing position, unable to keep up with the wolf’s speed.

 

In the end he opted for the same strategy he’d used on the skunk rats, or rather the absence of one at all, and started to swing wildly with the branch.  Every hit shook his hands but brought a yelp from the wolf, and after only six blows the wolf collapsed to the ground. Much like the skunk rats it fractured and then dissipated, turning into a cloud of white particles.

 

So Galmi’s venture into the southern section of the forest went, as he gathered more combat experience over the next few hours.  His inventory swelled with wolf pelts and his branch had to be swapped out for a new one, as he bashed so many wolves that the makeshift staff eventually broke.

 

If not for the fact that the quest log always kept a little icon on the side, Galmi might have forgotten his true purpose for being there.  After he’d brutalized the wolf population he remembered to pick up wood from the ground and gather it in his inventory.  

 

The quest didn’t take very long to complete, and so Galmi found himself heading back to Linkston sooner than expected.  After a couple of hours of walking he finally found the town again, and went straight to Robert’s house. With a nod in greeting to Tim, who was outside with his friends, Galmi stepped indoors and presented the wood to the tracker.

 

Quest Completed

You have completed the quest for Robert and brought back the firewood. Thanks to your hard work they will have plenty of firewood for the oncoming winter.

 

“Well done, Galmi!” Robert patted the man on his shoulder.  The wood that he’d been given vanished into thin air, and then a small pile of it appeared in the corner of the house.  “Here, I got something for you as a special reward.”

 

Galmi was surprised when Robert handed him what looked like a skunk rat pelt.  It was only after he’d shaken it out a bit that he realized it was far more than that, and he couldn’t help but smile at the NPC.

 

You Have Found A New Item

Skunk Rat Coat

Light Armor

Tanned Pelt

A coat made from the pelts of Skunk Rats. The stench has been removed but it still retains the ability to repel natural predators. 

Most Nature aligned creatures of Faran will not attack you on sight.

 

 

Galmi slipped the coat on, quite happy that he’d gained such a useful item.  He hadn’t expected Robert to give him something just for picking up wood.

 

“I don’t even know what to say,” Galmi said as he looked down at his coat.

 

“Think nothing of it, it’s nice to meet a helpful adventurer for a change.  By the way do you need anything else?”

 

“Well I keep getting bit, do you know where I can get some healing potions or something?”

 

Robert shook his head.  “Those require alchemical knowledge, and none of us here have that,” he explained as he instead reached into a drawer and pulled out something.  He gently threw the object at Galmi.

 

Galmi caught it out of the air and looked down at it, his one eyebrow lifting up quizzically.  “What’s this, gauze?”

 

“A type of bandage, but it’s not very clean,” Robert admitted, “I never need it so I haven’t bought any in a while.”

 

“Well, I’m going back to the forest,” Galmi said as he went for the door, though he waved goodbye first, “I bet I can get a lot more stuff from the wolves!”

 

Galmi had made it almost all the way to the forest when he realized he hadn’t even sold the fur he already had.  He cussed at his own ineptitude, but then decided to keep on going since he could sell it after he returned.

 

Time flew by for Galmi as he once again returned to his hunting.  He worked his way through the forest, heading deeper and deeper, as he killed dozens of wolves.  So engrossed in what he was doing he didn’t even notice how much time had passed.

 

His hunt was interrupted by a sudden howl, and from behind the red trees a larger wolf slipped out.  The wolf had a hue of red that perfectly matched the surrounding trees, and it glared at Galmi. The skunk rat coat he wore seemed to have no impact on the hostility it exuded.

 

Local Event

Rare Boss Encounter

The Red Wolf

The Red Wolf is the ruler of Linkston Forest.  It is far more dangerous than a regular wolf.. While within its home territory the Red Wolf gains a bonus to agility.

 

Galmi resisted the urge to cuss as he read the box.  It seemed just his luck to run into a boss out here in the middle of nowhere.  He hefted his branch and decided to fight the wolf, as he doubted that he could get away from it.

 

Galmi charged the Red Wolf and went for a simple overhead swing of the stick, but the wolf did a little hop to the side.  Before he could recover the wolf lunged forward, yet instead of a bite it swung a paw.

 

Galmi took the hit and staggered back, surprised even further by the power behind the blow.  Blood dripped from his arm, through the gouges in the skunk rat coat that the wolf had made with one attack.

 

Before the Red Wolf could attack again Galmi charged, his stick swung out in a wide arc in front of him.  The Red Wolf caught the weapon in its mouth and tore it from Galmi’s hands, throwing it to the ground afterward.

 

With no weapon available Galmi did the only thing that he could think of, and he started to punch and kick.  His attacks held far less power than the wooden branch but he was able to attack faster, and the Red Wolf couldn’t attack him without getting in range of either a fist or a foot.

 

At one point Galmi managed to land a solid kick to the side of the Red Wolf, and while it staggered from the attack Galmi drove his fist into its eye.  The Red Wolf reeled from the punch, half-blinded and quite injured.

 

You Have Learned A New Skill

Basic Brawling

Level 1(0%) Beginner

Increases the power of bare-handed fighting. Has the potential for evolving based on how the style utilized.

 

Galmi ignored the new window, his focus entirely on the fight with the Red Wolf.  While the wolf was staggered he took the time to scoop up his branch, lifting it up once again in front of him.

 

The Red Wolf blinked its injured eye rapidly, its body turning to face Galmi.  Teeth were bared as it growled, and once again the two started what could only be a fight to the death.

 

Solid blows rained down on the Red Wolf while Galmi suffered cuts and bites, his body coated in his own blood.  The fight raged on for what felt like an eternity to Galmi, his entire body aching from the strain of the continued brawl.  Without warning the Red Wolf suddenly stopped attacking and took a few steps away from him.

 

The beast swayed where it stood, gulping in air in an attempt to recover.  Before it could regenerate, Galmi wrapped both his hands tightly around the branch and swung it.  The blow he landed was powerful and he felt a resounding crack. Without even a whimper the wolf collapsed to the ground.

 

Galmi dropped his branch, the length of it showing a clear break in it, and stared at the fallen wolf.  The body faded away much like all the other monsters of the game, but instead of a white cloud he instead saw purple particles.  Robbed of strength and drained of energy, he could only close his eyes as the cloud gathered around him.

 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

 

A lady dressed in a long green dress sat on a bistro chair, one made of wood and without any proper cushioning.  She found it a bit displeasurable, but she’d learned to live with annoyances.

 

A waitress in a maid uniform approached and put a cup on top of the table.  The waitress’s movements were stiff, and though she bowed there was no emotion on her face.  The non-player character turned and walked away from the table, having finished her assigned task.

 

A tall man with wide shoulders walked past the waitress, his long stride carrying him quickly to the lady in green.  Without a word he slumped into one of the chairs, his size causing the chair to buckle beneath him.

 

“Cute little place, Gia,” the man said as he looked around at the outdoor cafe, “but it seems a bit open?”

 

Gia picked up her latte and sipped at it, her eyes focused on the foam atop the drink.  “Open or not, nobody is going to even notice our words,” Gia told the man, “I’ve made certain to block others.”

 

The man grunted in response to that.  “If only our sister was that smart. So why’d you bring me here, did your amalgamation finally get shoved together?”

 

Gia studied the man from head to toe.  He wore a type of black leather armor with fur lining.  With her eyes she could see the name attached to him. “Because, Typhoon, it’s been pieced together but there is always more work to get done.”

 

At the mention of his name Typhoon broke into a wide smile.  “You like the name? I was all thinking about it for real long.”

 

Gia rolled her eyes.  “It’s wonderful. Now then, I’m going to need your help with this next part.”

 

“Oh? What are you thinking?  I wouldn’t mind maybe a giant invasion of trolls.”

 

“No. You’re banned from doing that.” Gia glared at Typhoon.  “Instead, I think it’s time for a happy little coincidence.”

0