Chapter 94: Battle of Mondstadt – Part 3
140 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emmy turned her head in the direction of the loud explosion she just heard. The sound didn't come from the gate surprisingly, it came from the path to Springvale.

"That's a lot of monsters," Emmy said as she stood on the hands of the Barbatos statue.

From where she stood, the girl was only able to see small dots and one large dot. But she didn't need to know anything more to infer the nature of the dots.

'The large one must be Varka who is on his way but will he make it in time? There are a lot of monsters over there. I didn't even know they could get that numerous.'

Emmy turned her attention to the improvised blockade the knights had at the gate entrance, which caused the girl to sigh. She rubbed her face tiredly. Every time she looked at the door, Emmy didn't understand why the people of Mondstadt never thought to make an actual gate.

"Are the knights so incompetent to never think of being attacked or are we, the people of humanity so arrogant to think the abyss order would never want to start another large-scale conflict? Honestly, this only gets me more worried about Inazuma."

Emmy clicked her tongue when she thought of her actual homeland, the massive island archipelago of Inazuma. At least Mondstadt had an actual wall to protect them from their adversaries.

Inazuma's only defenses were the massive ocean and their strong god. Emmy didn't put much faith in those though, since what she found from historical records and her research proved otherwise.

Those two "defenses" were worth nothing if the enemy could simply open a portal or travel through a domain straight into the heart of your territory.

Abyss mages and maybe even those higher on whatever hierarchy the abyss order had should be capable of teleportation. At that point, it wouldn't matter, since the enemy could just walk in like it was their home anyway.

'But I don't have time to be worrying about things that would most likely never happen, right?'

[Like the attack on Mondstadt from the Abyss Order?]

'You are making me nervous.'

[Just making sure the Host learns to never dismiss a possibility. Your special skills allow you to arrive at a similar probability detection level to the system, so use it.]

'Hmm. Anyway, I found where the commander is located and the tent for healers is also on the other side. So I might have time to check that out,' Emmy thought as she jumped off of the statue, causing whoever was there to gasp, likely thinking she was about to commit suicide.

Until the girl began to float and by extension, fly away at high speeds.

She continued to fly for a while before she started to lower herself to an area that had a few guardsmen. Loud voices immediately came into her ears as she neared a tent, likely the commander arguing with someone.

The guards raised their spears in her direction but Emmy ignored them. She already spotted her target and she made a beeline toward the entrance of the tent. With the spears trailing her small form the girl landed at the entrance and was about to walk in.

"Who are you?!" A guard shouted and the commotion inside the tent stopped.

Emmy yawned, she wasn't angry at the guard. He was doing his job as intended, though she guessed they could use a little more aware of their situation.

"Emmy Edgar, a previous partner of Jean during the kidnapping incident 2 months ago. Also, the leader of the Adventurer team [Vanguard] and the one who was the first to witness the forest fire that was over there," Emmy pointed in the direction of Wolvendom.

The guards didn't know what to say and again, Emmy didn't blame them. It was rare to see a little girl with such feats, much less one that could speak so calmly when there were two weapons at her throat.

'Speaking of weapons,' Emmy thought as she pushed away both of the spears with her finger, not considering the guard's moods with her actions, 'I'll leave that up to my words.'

"It kinda rude to have your spears at my throat after knowing my identity, I might tell my grandma about you all. Grandma is very strong after all," Emmy said, in a cute voice.

She didn't know how strong her grandmother was, all she knew was that the Fatui wouldn't make a move on her due to her grandmother's existence. That alone was a feat since a single person keeping an entire organization on their toes was God-Level deterrence.

[The impunity shown by the Fatui depends on the strength of the nation, their god, and their circumstances. They show disrespect to Inazuma and Mondstadt but are careful around Liyue. If the host wishes for a situation like the last time to never happen again, it is not only you but your entire country that must transform itself.]

'But nations like Sneznaya and Liyue have foundations that are thousands of years old. Years which they spent honing their strengths, military, and economy respectively. Inazuma while the same age, has remained stagnant, falling behind even Mondstadt. Is it even possible to match them?'

[There is no need to stress. The system has already informed you of its capabilities, you need just trust in them for the foreseeable future. This world contains significant mysteries and treasures, the system has a map that spans the entirety of the three realms, anything you desire is yours.]

'The catch?' Emmy thought as she looked at the nervous expressions of the guards, then she just stepped inside the tent. It was a rude gesture but now wasn't a time to worry about such things.

The inside of the tent wasn't that large, it had a large table and few chairs. There were currently only three people inside at the moment, one of which Emmy recognized to be Jean's mother, Frederica Gunnhildr.

She was seated in the middle with her two aides or the other captains at her side, though Emmy wasn't sure of their status. 

"Welcome, Emmy Edgar. I can guess that my daughter Jean sent you to me or is this what Jean told me about? The girl that has no regard for authority if they stand in the way of her current objective?"

Emmy stood straighter and said, "Pretty much."

"So, does your current objective line up with ours? Protecting the people of Mondstadt and their homes."

'Not really. I just want to make sure the city itself is fine as for the people, not my problem at the end of the day. I lived here but this is not my country or my people. But protecting them on the side would be fine but it would not be the main objective per se.'

"Exactly," Emmy nodded with a bright smile as if her thoughts weren't different from what she told them.

[The host has a heart of stone.]

'Metaphorically yes, literally? Not possible. They are not the main priority at this point, a simple evacuation to a safe zone is more than enough to ensure their safety. If the walls are broken through, then we are screwed.'

"Ma'am, I don't think we have time to speak right now so..."

"Yes, speak of your plans," The woman didn't seem to doubt her at all or maybe she was just that confident in Jean's judgment.

"Very well then," Emmy then began to speak of her plans.

All of which amounted to:

{Knights hold a concentrated defense around the gate.

Emmy would spot critical spots in the enemy lines from above or have the knights on the walls inform her of areas they need assistance. Then she would swoop in and drop some bombs on them while preventing the explosive barrels the enemy had from ever reaching the walls.

They would use this approach to advance little by little till they arrived at the other end of the bridge. This would prevent the monsters from blowing up the bridge to seal them inside and safeguard Mondstadt future economy.

'That bridge was important after all.'

Doing so they would wait for reinforcements from the other knight group and GrandMaster Varka.}

[A fine plan. But what do you have in mind for the Abyss mages? They are intelligent and can teleport, which is superior to your flight.]

'Which is why I also have this formation.'

"You want the knights to have a loose close order formation. In which remains a space in which two people can fit comfortably between each soldier? Why?"

"For abyss mages, it is a sufficient distance from the splash damage effect they create when they teleport. Also, it gives the knights room to move around to enter different formations to counter their attacks.

"A regular closed order formation would merely allow the abyss mages to kill many soldiers. It would also restrict the knights as they would not be able to avoid killer moves without tripping over their comrades. They would be pigs to the slaughter, cannon fodder if you will."

'But these cannon fodder wouldn't even serve a purpose, they would just be meaningless loss of human resources or life. If one wanted to go the humanitarian route.'

[Humanitarian?]

'Human resources is a more accurate term for any massive human workforce. Like the army or the adventurers.'

[Interesting outlook on the life of your fellow man.]

"I see... Then we will proceed with your plan, any objections?" Frederica said as she looked at the others, to which they both shook their heads. Both with varying expressions.

"Then Emmy, we thank you for your help in Mondstadt's time of need. One of the guards will take you to where you will be stationed as the captains at my side relay orders to the front."

"Alright, I'll be on standby," Emmy turned to leave but Frederica stopped her.

"Wait," The woman rummaged through her pocket, where she pulled out a small metal badge. She handed it to Emmy, and the girl just now noticed how tall the woman was. 

Emmy's head barely surpassed the woman's knees, she had legs for days!

She took the badge hesitantly before she looked at it. The words "Honorary Captain" was engraved on the bronze. Emmy looked up at the lady in confusion.

She blissfully ignored the strain her neck was under and how she had to back up to see her.

"I have given you the status equaling that of a captain. You are a keystone in the upcoming operation and so your authority should be as such. It will grant you access to many facilities. Go on now, you seem to have something on your mind."

Frederica turned and then started running away. Emmy heard her barking orders in the distance. She gripped the badge in her palm and nodded her head absent-mindedly.

Emmy bowed lightly before she left the tent, one of the guards from earlier at her side. No conversation was made during the time they spent walking. 

The area was filled with the sounds of battle, as the scent of blood and ash filled her senses. Emmy took a deep breath before she abandoned the escort and ran toward the other tent she saw earlier.

"Hey!" Edward, the guard immediately started to run after the girl as she dashed away. It took a few moments to arrive at the entrance of the tent, which was heavily guarded. 

'Infirmary? Makes sense, since going to the church or the HQ would not be optimal. The patient would just die on the way.'

"What are you-"

Emmy showed them the badge, didn't look, and then entered the infirmary while protecting herself with Energy. The inside of the area confused her.

There was far less blood and gore than she imagined there would be. Why were they all so joyful? And...

Why was there a little girl with two pigtails carrying a bucket of water around, was she a healer as well?

'Hmm, she looks a little like... Jean?' 

*****

Ahhhh! I have been revived! Finally, I am able to write and post again after 2 weeks.

7