CHAPTER 012(Toshinori Yagi)
6.8k 15 254
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read auxiliary chapter World Info before starting the story.

Discord: https://discord.gg/K7f8qGpvuk

pat.reon (5 Chapters ahead): Keanu_Eugene

CHAPTER START---

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

Law and Nezu turn to look down the connection hallway from their seats in the living room.

"Right on time," Law mutters, still not entirely used to the slightly mechanical nature of his voice through the visor.

Getting up he walks down the hallway and in a few steps is at the front door. Opening it he's greeted by the sight of a 180cm -5ft11- man in a beige trenchcoat, a suit kept below it. And standing behind this man is a 204cm -6ft8- blonde man, with spiky hair with two bangs at the sides of his face. Blue sunken eyes and hollow cheeks, appearing emaciated, as if he was ready to fall over into a shallow grave.

Both men stare back at Horizon, slightly surprised to be greeted by the black visor that only had two triangular blue eyes. A white body glove hiding every piece of skin that would have shown with his pair of black shorts and t-shirt.

"Come in," Horizon steps aside and gestures for them to enter, locking the door behind them. Both men gave him a nod as they pass by. But Horizon can't help noticing how the blonde man towered over his 180cm -6ft- self, along with the fact that his suit was a few sizes too large, hanging off his frame.

Walking behind both men the trio joins Nezu in the living room.

"Now that we're all here, how about introductions?" Nezu asks.

ROOM!

Horizon reaches out to the plain-looking man in the trench coat, "I'm Horizon, the doctor."

The man shakes his hand, "detective Naomasa Tsukauchi," after a firm handshake Tsukauchi steps back.

"Detective? As in the detective from when I met Nezu?"

Tsukauchi only nods and moves to take a seat.

Next, the tall blonde man reaches out with a large hand, Horizon feels the man's hand like a vice around his fingers for a moment, "Toshinori Yagi, it's a pleasure to meet you, doctor..."

Horizon's face tilts downward, shifting from looking up at the man to looking at his torso, "wow, so you must be my patient," he releases the man's hand. "Don't worry Yagi, I can help you."

"Please call me Toshinori if you'd like," the man says as he moves to join Tsukauchi on the couch, leaving Nezu and Horizon on single seats.

"Yagi is shorter," Horizon moves to take his seat. "I don't particularly care for naming traditions and formality, I always use the short or easier-to-say name," he shrugs.

"Ahh, that's fine as well," Yagi says.

Horizon nods, then claps once to get their attention, "so, now that the small talk is over, how much do these men know about me Nezu?"

"Only the bare minimum," Nezu says, putting down his tea cup. "Toshinori only knows that you're a miracle doctor, detective Tsukauchi knows the circumstances under our introduction, but your name, face, and everything else has been withheld, as well as the specifics of our deal, just as I promised."

"Good," Horizon reaches down to the table and picks up his glass. "Oh...help yourself to anything in the kitchen," the base of his visor retracts slightly so he can take a sip of his scotch. "So... I assume you're the one I'll be operating on in a minute or two?" he nods at Yagi.

Yagi freezes, looking between Horizon and the glass of alcohol in his hand, then back at Horizon, "you shouldn't drink before performing medical acts," he says. "Actually, you shouldn't drink at all, aren't you a minor?"

"And you shouldn't be alive with those injuries, but here we are," Horizon says.

"..."

"What? I can't have one or two drinks before performing a super invasive operation?" Horizon asks, half-jokingly.

Yagi and Tsukauchi freeze while Nezu quietly giggles to himself.

"I'm kidding, alcohol doesn't work on me, I just like the taste, also, don't ever tell me what to do," Horizon says. Yagi looks at Tsukauchi while Horizon keeps talking, "besides, you're already dying anyway, not like I could make it worse."

As Horizon takes another sip the trio stared at him, Tsukauchi and Yagi were surprised by the casual manner in which he spoke about death, but Nezu wasn't surprised in the least.

"What do you mean?" Yagi asked.

"Well," Horizon raises a hand to count on his fingers. " One; You've only got one lung and its barely functioning, two; your stomach is the size of an apple and is also barely functioning, three; both your intestines are missing most of their length, four; your bone marrow doesn't have enough nutrients and can't process enough water to make blood, and five; your left kidney has already failed."

None of them are surprised by the diagnosis, this was all that they'd known for years, but Yagi asked what they were all thinking. "How do you know about all of that?"

"When I shook your hands," Horizon says, placing his now empty glass on the table and his visor seals itself, voice becoming slightly mechanical once more. "I did a full body scan of both of you, I can single out the obvious things with just a passing graze but if I'm going to scan down to the cellular level I need a few seconds."

"That's why you didn't let go at first," Yagi says.

"Mhm, and it's also how I know that the detective has some kind of ear Quirk, unless those extra bones in there are for show," he turns to Tsukauchi. "So, Super Hearing?"

Tsukauchi sighs, "lie detection, and impressively, you've never lied in my presence."

Horizon chuckles, "I see why Nezu keeps you around, and yeah, lying is for people too weak or pathetic to handle the consequences of their actions, it's beneath me."

Tsukauchi shakes his head, "I don't know if I should be impressed or concerned that you genuinely believe that..."

Nezu laughs, causing everyone to look at him, "well it's good to see everyone getting along well enough."

Tsukauchi grumbles but they ignore it as Horizon speaks, "so I assume you can't tell me what caused the injuries, right?"

"So long as you don't share the information with anyone else," Yagi says.

"Doctor-client confidentiality, I'll take it to my grave."

Yagi looks at Tsukauchi who nods, then he explains. "I was attacked, Rivet Stabs, Super-Power, Lighting Surge, and a few other Quirks, all at once."

"I see, a team of villains huh," Horizon says. Yagi nods along, not wanting to expose the truth of All For One. "Well from the looks of it you've got, at best eight years."

"That long!" Yagi's eyes open wide. "But the other doctors said that my injuries...that nobody can survive in my condition..."

"How long ago did this happen?"

"Four years ago," Yagi says.

"I see," Horizon leans back and taps the chin of his visor. "Well, you wouldn't have lasted even a few minutes if your Quirk wasn't so abnormal."

Nezu, Yagi, and Tsukauchi all sit up straight at that. "What exactly do you mean?" Nezu asks.

"His quirk is like nothing I've ever seen before, at least not outside of myself."

"Your Quirk is like mine?"

"No, not at all, your Quirk is obviously a power-type, the complete opposite of mine. But while mine allows me a sort of dominion over my mind and body like no other, yours provides energy at a cellular level. Your organs haven't been able to sustain you for years but it's like your Quirk has so much energy that it stretched your final few minutes into years. Assuming you never actively use your Quirk, the energy it provides you can take you to eight more years at best."

"That long," Yagi whispers in awe. "But what if I do use it?" he can't help but ask.

"I can't imagine a situation where you'd ever think that was a good idea," Horizon says. "Every bit of energy you expend is directly taking time off your life, the time you could be spending with your family or friends, if you want those full eight years then you should retire and try to take it easy."

"Mmm, everyone says that, but I can't do that, not yet, not until---" Yagi stops himself, realizing what he was about to say. "Not quite yet."

"Well it's your life, throw it away if you want," Horizon shrugs. "But for the record, I don't appreciate people wasting my time, and me extending your life for you to throw it away is exactly that, you're lucky being your doctor is part of my contract."

"Thank you," Yagi bows respectfully. As he sits back up he then asks, "how exactly can you help me? The best doctors in the world couldn't do anything," Yagi immediately panics and waves his hands about, "not that I'm doubting your abilities doctor!"

Horizon grumbles slightly then thinks for a moment, "I won't be able to completely save you from death, only extend your life slightly. If I was the doctor on site when you were first injured I could have gotten you back into top form...but at the time I was only eleven---"

"You're fifteen!" Yagi and Tsukauchi yell.

"Huh, I assumed you knew," Horizon looks at Nezu.

"I told you they don't know anything but the bare minimum," Nezu shrugs.

"Right, but I assumed you told them my age at least," Horizon sighs. "But anyway, perfect training since I was four then manifesting a powerful Mystery Class Quirk when I was five---"

"Mystery Class!" Yagi yells. Horizon revealed this about his quirk simply because the classification was on his ID.

"Plus constant training...means I'm the miracle doctor of your dreams, at only fifteen," Horizon shrugs. "And yeah, Mystery Class."

"A Mystery Class healing Quirk?" Yagi asks.

"Healing, warping, some other things too," Horizon shrugs. "All that matters is that it'll let me operate on you. I'll be able to restructure your organs and some of your bone marrow while healing it, pushing cell regeneration as opposed to cell activation, which I assume Recovery Girl used a lot to keep you alive, right?"

"Right," Nezu nods.

"Yeah well, most Heal Quirks force cell activation, effectively healing you by cutting down your life span since cells can only divide so many times within a lifespan and that's what it triggers. I'm able to use external energy to trigger 'cell regeneration', which is an unnatural process that doesn't cut into your lifespan. That paired with some of the other things I can do, I'll be able to get you from eight years up to fifteen years...assuming you don't use up more energy than needed to survive," Horizon shrugs, as if it were such a casual matter.

"A living miracle," Nezu says, all while Yagi and Tsukauchi are staring in awe. "I see why you chose that name for your company."

"Thank you," Yagi nearly doubles over as he bows, sincerely thankful for anything Horizon can do to help.

"Is there any way we could have saved him entirely?" Nezu can't help but ask, and all eyes shift to Horizon once more.

"Yeah, organ transplants within a week or two of the injury. It's too late for any of that now, his Quirk saturated the damaged tissue so much that if any foreign organs try to attach the energy it provides would overwhelm, reject, then destroy it," Horizon shrugs.

"I see," Yagi says. "And are you ready to operate?" he looks around the small apartment, unsure of what happens next.

"Yeah I've got everything set up," Horizon stands up and begins walking away, waving his hand in the air, "just follow me, this should only take an hour or two at most..."

END CHAPTER---

pat.reon (5 Chapters ahead): Keanu_Eugene

I update every weekday so see ya Monday :)

254