Chapter 1: Rebirth
3k 11 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I've been in this warm and dark place for about five months; I can barely move, and I don't even breathe here. I might've been here longer — it's difficult to tell. I think I'm going insane. The only thing to comfort me is the voices from outside, speaking some unusual language that sounds like a mix between French and English. It is like a dialect of English more than a separate language.

I've managed to decipher some sentences being spoken:

"What are we going to name them?" says the hearty male.
"It's my turn to name!" says the delicate female.
"I'm the King, I get naming rights!" says the hearty male.
"You married into the royalty!" says the delicate female, whose voice isn't so delicate now.
"You fell in love with me!" says the hearty male.
"Daddy! Why's mummy belly so fat?" yells a child of indistinct gender.
"There's a thing called love, and when you make it, stuff like this happens. It's what happened to you and your brother," says the hearty male.

And that's all I can remember: thank you, thank you. For your rounds of applause, I know I'm beautiful. Yes yes, you can have my autograph. Shake my hand? Sure, why not. 

Yep, I'm going insane.

How did I end up in this situation? Death by exhaustion. Thanks, Earth. I guess this means I've been reborn — I think. I don't know, I'm very confused! I don't remember my name and much about my world. I can recall some parts of memory, but it's a bit hazy. I know that I'm a English-speaking male who worked as what I call An Office Dreg or more commonly referred to as a Salaryman. Again, my memory is hazy, I could be a CEO for all I know.'



The queen, Serena Esmere Ulovar Adellum, lies in labour. The king, Leodore Ulovar Adellum, clutches the hand of his wife whose screams of pain echo throughout the room. Physicians of the highest caliber observe the birth, checking for any irregularity they can. Servants race around the room, some with buckets of water and others with wet towels. If one could describe the scene in a single word, it would be chaos.

Serena pushes, the nurses replace the wet towels on her forehead and abdomen, the physicians continue directing the servants. A man runs in with a purple vial in his hands; he passes the physicians who sneer at the mere sight of an apothecary from the alchemist guild. He pours the vial's contents into the queen's mouth.

"Let us hope he doesn't poison her," spits a physician.

"Let us hope your ego doesn't poison the room," returns the apothecary.

"Apothecaries are useless, am I right?" says physician #2.

"Although I do respect their contributions to the world of medicine, it is the theories of physicians they base their cures and treatments on," replies the nicer physician #3.

"Perhaps," mutters physician #1.

"Nothing but a bunch of exploitive balderdash!" yells physician #1.

"Enough bickering!" roars Leodore, his authority immediately silencing the argument between the two opposing sides.

A cry is suddenly heard, causing all to turn their attention to the queen. In the hands of the head nurse is a baby, the source of the constant wailing. The nurse hands the child to the king, who presents the child to the queen.

Everyone except the head nurse vacates the room in respect. 

"It's a she," the nurse declares.

"She's beautiful already," Serena says, tears streaming down her face.

"What will her name be then?" Leodore asks as he wipes the tears away from the eyes of his wife.

"So you finally concede," Serena teases. "Her name will be Celestia Elise Adellum."

"Celestia, what a beautiful name. Elise, your mother, what a stubborn old fart," comments the King.

"If Elise heard that, she'd beat you senseless."

"Definitely," laughs Leodore.

"Celestia will grow up to be a fine woman like her."

"She was only 'fine' to you and our children," grumbles the King.

Meanwhile...

'My skin is on fire! Why does everything feel so dry? Now I know why babies cry so much when they're born. Every breath is like someone digging a lighter into my chest. And they call me a she? My name is– I don't remember. But it sure as hell isn't Celestia.

Where's all the modern technology too. No lights or hospital or anything. Is this what I think it is? A fantasy world? That sword on the wall and these crowns look too fantastical to be modern. I can think of three explanations: I've been sent back in time, I've reincarnated into a fantasy world, and finally this but a dream which means I didn't die of exhaustion. The last one is the most realistic and the less whimsical of the possibilities, but the surname Adellum doesn't ring any bells. Then again, I can't even remember my name; remembering the name of a long-dead royal dynasty is out of the question.'

The newborn baby feels themselves getting transferred into the hands of the queen. Now they have the chance to look at someone properly. She is unable to move her head; additionally, beyond a couple of metres, everything is too blurred to see.

Serena, a woman of unrivalled beauty: fiery red hair in an intricate bun, alluring orange eyes with a hint of gold and a flawless round face. Beauty like this should be reserved for angels. However, this face currently has tears streaming down it. Then comes Leodore: a youthful-looking man with curly medium-length brown hair and sharp hazel eyes. On his face is a scar that goes from his left cheek to his right eyebrow, leaving a little dent on his know. Most likely a famed high-born noble general before marrying into the royal family though this woman. 

'So these are my parents, both are exceptionally attractive. If my parents are this beautiful, how beautiful will I be? That is if it isn't a dream, and I merely fell asleep. Then again, the pain feels so damn real! Wait, why is Leodore crying? He didn't even give birth; his skin isn't on fire either! He has no excuse.'

"Aww, look at her face," Leodore says. "That's the face of a fighter! Are we sure she's not a he?"

"She's probably thinking, 'why is this ugly man trying to kiss me?'" teases Serena.

'I'm actually thinking where's the other child but okay. I definitely heard that voice once or twice.'

As soon as these thoughts passed through her head, two children come in: the girl screaming in like deranged maniac while the boy following silently behind. Running after them is a teenage boy and a teenage girl; both have worried and extremely apologetic faces on them.

"Cirian, Ruby, my children! You've come to join us."

"I want to see my sibling!" yells Ruby.

"Do we have to?" Cirian says.

"Apologies, your royal highnesses, we are unable to contain these two," says the female.

"No worries, you can leave now," the queen says.

"What's her name?" asks Cirian. "Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell–"

"Celestia," the queen replies quickly.

"Why couldn't I have that name!?" Ruby begins to pout and stop her foot.

"Don't worry, you'll both grow up into beautiful and fair maidens."

"Really daddy?" 

"Yes Ruby, my darling."

"What about me?" asks Cirian.

"You'll probably become heir," states Serena firmly.

"Ruling a kingdom sounds boring, I hate boring!" yells Ruby.

"I think it would be fun," argues Cirian. "I get cake whenever I want."

'What a nice and warm family. I almost don't want this dream to end.'

It starts...

35