Chapter 2: Being A Self Aware Infant Is Boring
1.4k 10 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1 Month Old

I have officially, and begrudgingly, given up on going returning to my original world. My name is Celestia Elise Adellum now and there seems to be nothing I can do about it.

With nothing else to do other than cry and be breastfed by wetnurses, I lounge around in the cradle and learn the language through hearing people speak as they come in and out of the room to check on me. It isn't a very efficient way to learn a language, but, at this point, there's nothing else for me to do other than catalogue the faces of the servants.

It is surprisingly easy to learn the due it's a similarity to European languages. Annunciations are the hardest things. It's like listening to an overly pompous French/ Italian person speaking English. Perhaps it's just the nobility, such as I ,who speak like this.

I guess that makes me a genius child since I've learnt how to speak at one month old without the aid of a tutor.

Now and then, the queen will pick me up and go for a stroll around the halls palace. It's surprisingly calming. I wish I could see further so I can properly make out the details of the outside world. These walks have been the highlight of my weeks as there is barely anything else to do other than sleep and get changed by maids. Also suckling on the breasts of wetnurses. At first, it was nice but now it's just becoming extremely monotonous making the walks around the only exciting thing.

3 months old

It is today that I first spoke in front of anyone. It was in such a stupid situation as well. I was on my weekly walk with my new mother when she sneezed, and I, being a formerly well-cultured and polite individual unintentionally said: "bless you." Yes, brain, I am indeed that stupid. My little stunt caused the queen to jump in surprise so much she almost dropped me from her hands. With the floor being made of stone and only a thin carpet on top of it, that would've probably killed me right there and then.

This situation led to a whole host of ridiculous things: apparently in this country, when a royal child first speaks, the exact moment must be recreated on a painting. I had to just sit still in my mom's arms doing absolutely nothing for about four hours. Granted, I was asleep the majority of the time, but it was still dull.

You would think the queen would detest the waiting, correct? No! No! Are you mad? She loved every second of standing around doing jackshit and just looking forward smiling while the painter did his thing.

Next, a massive party is thrown and within three days, nearly 90 people and shown up because I uttered two words accidentally. During the celebration, my new family members had tried in vain to make me speak in front of others. Like hell I'm going to do that. This is my way of spiting you! Revenge will be sweet for me and embarrassing for you.

6 months old

It was inevitable that I'd eventually come down with an illness; however, to have this earlier in my new life is frightening. From the chatter I've heard from the innumerous servants, I've deciphered that Queen Serena nearly had a sibling, but said sibling passed away from illnesses around my age. There is also the fact that the king's adult cousin also passed away in chilbirth, the child didn't make it either. Both tragic stories.

I hope I don't drop dead. I haven't even seen the outside world yet. I know this is an isekai! Let me in! Or in this case, let me out. If I die, I blame Queen Serena for sneezing with me in her hands.

On the bright side, Cirian, the sweet and quiet child he is, has started to look after me during the night. He's the only person I've spoken to willingly. He knows how smart his little sister is. Honestly, this kid is quite intelligent too. He knows how to read and write perfectly at three. He's yet to have a tutor as he says that learning first hand is better than regurgitating things people have told you. Way to take a dump on schools! Good on you!

Today we had a nice conversation:

"Greetings Celeste," says my brother extremely formerly.

"He-lo Zi-ray-arn," I reply, pretending to be less experienced in speaking.

"Stop speaking like that, I've heard you practising speaking when you think no one's around."

"Why are smart?" 

"I don't know. But know, you're not alone with your intellect. I learnt to speak at two months old. At least, that's what mom tells me. I do not remember."

"I'm tired, need sleep. Sick?"

"Indeed, you are ill. I've already asked mother to keep an eye on you more. She says I'm a well-mannered gentleman that'll develop into an exceptional king and you'll become a beautiful princess. She's also said that she'll try not to sell you off to a random noble, but instead marry for love as she did. You probably don't understand me, you don't know that many words, right?"

I nod, completely lying. I have quite a big grasp of the language due to be being self-aware from day one.

Unfortunately, our chat is interrupted by an entourage of nurses and physicians and apothecaries and all sorts. What a day that was.

9 Months Old

I got over my illness pretty quickly, around five days after I contracted it after getting sneezed on. Expectedly, nobody knows about germ theory. Instead, they think bad smells cause illness. The idea is similar to that proposed by Romans. No wonder the entire palace smells of herbs. This world doesn't, at least to my information, have a man such as Galen or Hippocrates with their incorrect theories of illness creating more problems for people. Luckily physicians and apothecaries are the main sources of medical advancements. It's better than the Theory of the Four Humours.

I also, super secretly, got out of my cradle in my parents' room and went for a look out the window. That was much more difficult than I imagined. Worth it!

The city called Nuria is absolutely mesmerising. Towering buildings that pierce the sky. However, I'm not given enough time to see the landscape as Leodore barges in and sees me leaning against the window and panics like the goof he is. The window's closed idiot!

At least there wasn't another painting debacle.

A whole year passes, and now Celestia is a year old and is forced to wear dresses. Unlike the still energetic Ruby, Celestia is a much more relaxed and maintained young lady, but still talkative and childish. Especially to children working alongside the adults. She mostly speaks to the younger children because they're less likely to try to dodge the conversation on the off-chance they accidentally cause Celestia to cry. Ruby thus far has gotten three or four employees fired for similar reasons.

One day, seemingly out of the blue, Celestia confronted her father requesting that she gets sword-fighting classes much like her brother Cirian, who started taking them recently.

"You want to take sword-fighting classes?" says Leodore confused. "That isn't very lady-like. Perhaps etiquette classes like the ones your sister will begin are more suitable. You could get your pretty face scratched taking sword fighting classes. You don't want to end up with a scar like mine."

There were two main reasons Celestia wanted to do sword-fighting classes. The first was because everything else was boring. The second was because of her predicament as a princess.

She had managed to decode that, as a princess, she'd be thrown off to some older nobleman eventually. As a former man, Celestia is disgusted at the thought of taking one up the ass. She saw the best way to prevent something like this was either running away from the luxury or to become a swordswoman and continue to live lavishly.

The last thing she wanted was being helpless.

"I'm serious, papa," replies Celestia scowling.

"Little darling, you're so cute," returns King Leodore, ignoring the pleas of his daughter.

"I refuse to marry some Duke's son!" screams Celestia.

"Why? You get to be spoilt and have your every need fulfilled."

"I don't want that! I want to be independent," Celestia retorts.

"My husband," Serena had entered the room now and as the possessor of royal blood, her word is above that of the King who had come from a low-class family. If Celestia can get Queen Serena to back her up, Leodore can't do anything about it. "What is all this arguing about?"

"Mommy!" Celestia says, putting on her best puppy eyes and starts clinging to her leg through her dress. "Daddy doesn't want me to fulfil my dreams."

"And what might those be?"

"To become a swordswoman and fight bad people!"

"You are a pretty young lady, I couldn't imagine you fighting people. The road to becoming a skilled swordsman is arduous and demanding; most men are unable to do it," the Queen says, much to the approval of Leodore. "However, I believe you could do it. You've tried to hide your intelligence which shows just how smart you are. I have one of my famous gut feelings that you'd make a brilliant swordswoman."

"You surely jest," stammers Leodore.

"I jest not, my gut feelings never lie to me and have yet to be wrong. I was right about the gender of Cirian and Ruby, not to mention the drought and cold snaps four years ago."

"See, mommy is nice! Why aren't you daddy?!" shouts Celestia in the most childish tone she can muster.

"Fine, we'll begin your lessons when you're older. If you quit, it'll be your fault," Leodore grumbles.

"I'll become the best swordswoman and make you proud!"

"Better than me?" says Leodore.

"Much better!" Celestia continues. 'YES YES YES YES YES! I've done it, maybe, I think. I can't wait to get older now. But I wonder what age I'll start at. I may start at a older age compared to Cirian because of my gender. That doesn't matter, as long as I can get the vow of celibacy and chastity. When I do, I'll be golden.'

32