Chapter 3: To Watch Is To Learn
1.2k 11 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Celestia wakes up, at first, she lazes in her bed for a few moments, throwing the red blanket back over her head and sinking further into the comfortable bed. She had upgraded from a cradle in her parents' room to a full-fledged king-sized bed in her personalised room. It wasn't girlish, neither was it boyish — the bedroom could belong to either gender. However, it was a clear abuse of the wealth of the family.

A two-metre tall mirror lined by intricate golden patterns that would be worth a fortune in modern-day money. A luxurious and high-quality red carpet. A sizeable window that allowed for an unobstructed view of the palace and the city beyond; the view never got stale, especially during sunsets where the picture was at its best. A grand chandelier hangs in the centre of the ceiling, an additional item that would bring someone mountains of wealth. There were nine teddy bears Celestia was forced to keep in order to keep her childish and innocent act maintained. The moment she got the chance, she'd burn every one of them in cold blood.

A grown man, even if they're in a child's body, doesn't need toys to comfort them while they sleep. Luckily, everyone interpreted this act as Celestia wanting to be a tough person. Of course, a toddler doing this is strange but not odder than an arsonist child.

Celestia's eyes shoot open as she realises what time it and what is happening today. She gets dressed quickly and jolts to the window, she brushes aside the silk curtains and looks into the courtyard.

Approximately 300 men in high-quality armour stand in rows, disciplined and ready to die for the country. Each person with a wooden sword in their hands. At once, they move the weapons skyward then bring it down in sync. These were no ordinary guards or soldiers, these were the best of the best: The Valkyrie Riders. Disappointingly, they don't ride flying pegasi, neither are they a brigade of beautiful women. However, their combat abilities are near unrivalled, especially on their beautiful warhorses.

At the helm of the division is a man. He, like the Valkyrie riders, is beyond average: an anomaly that shocks Celestia. Fredrin Alberson, current Marshall and known as the One-Armed Warrior for blatantly evident reasons. He took over the role of Marshall after Leodore married into the royalty; before, he was merely the fifth son of a barely-known baronet. They both fought alongside each other in a war against a nation. Fredrin and Leodore are close comrades and rivals.

"He is someone I strive to be, indomitable, courageous and independent," states Celestia. "He's so friendly too; I wish more people on Earth were friendlier and more considerate."

Up, down, up, down, up, down. Celestia's eyes trace the swings of the elite soldiers below her. She picks up the small training sword she sneakily and silently stole from Cirian and begins swinging in sync.

After approximately six motions, her body has given up; annoying and expected. Girls who are barely two years old have no business swinging wooden swords their size up and down. Despite her arms already aching, she continues to follow along. It takes another four swings before her arms practically fall off and she drops the wooden weapon.

She may have 30+ years of experience in a previous life, but that won't help her build strength in a child's body, doing this will. No matter how exhausting it is. Celestia looks at her hands, covered in blisters and splinters — "not very ladylike" everyone would say at this sight. She's been doing this every three days since she stole the sword from Cirian. She'll deal with the tiny splinters later; now she to hide the training sword under her bed and start to comb her hair before her servants arrive and start pestering her.

For the first time in a while, Celestia properly looks at herself in the massive mirror. She looks like a child version of her mother, like a clone. Golden eyes and crimson hair — both natural features inherited from her mother. The rate at which her hair grew is scary. It must be one of the advantages of having royal blood: beauty, red hair, golden eyes, a robust immune system, luxurious home, absolute authority. Then there are the disadvantages such as being the centre of attention all the time and then there the being married off thing.

Celestia hears what seem like 1000 footsteps, she sighs, preparing herself for the endless pampering by the horde of maids. On cue, nine young teenage maids burst into the room like SWAT officers in a sting operation. They immediately seize Celestia whose attempts to escape the comparatively larger girls are futile. 

She is swiftly undressed and redressed in a fancier, tailor-made white dress that is rather lavish to be handed to a one-year-old girl. Being rich has its perks, she's starting to think that that sentence is the motto of this world and can be applied to the last too. Celestia couldn't help but feel she's being spoilt too much. The dress she was wearing before was perfectly adequate, but no, just ramp up the fanciness. When and if the peasants revolt, the rich are going to metaphorically, and possibly literally, burn.

Ellionette, the old head maid, begins guiding her to the throne room. Along the way, she is joined by Cirian and Ruby who are being escorted by their personal attendees. They are escorted by the head maid Ellionette to the one room Celestia has been giddy to see for nearly a year: the throne room.

Yet, the excitement is vastly dampened for one reason. The reason why Celestia immediately threw herself back in the bed earlier was because of the coming event: the royal parade, it's meant to be done when a royal child reaches two years old; however, this year, Leodore decided to do it earlier. The Queen, who is currently the highest authority nationwide, didn't protest the change despite the complaints from Celestia. Not even Celestia childish charm and attempted manipulation could sway either of their minds.

Ellionette opens the throne room doors revealing the fabled throne room.

The first thing Celeste sees is the red and gold carpet that stretches from the entrance to the steps of the twin thrones upon which both monarchs are seated. The grand ceiling depicting significant events described to her by Cirian: the Great Demon War, the Second Witch War, crowning of High King Ulderic, the Golden Apple being given to High King Ulderic and the forging of Night Breaker. Inside the walls are six statues that were in various poses, all armed with stone weapons.

To the average eye, these were statues that only advertised the wealth of the nation, but in actuality, they were powerful golems. They possess no morale and will never retreat, their wills more unbreakable than the material they're made of from. The perfect warriors to protect the throne. Each one is said to be modelled after influential monarchs of royal blood.

Prejudices exist here, she's been told a trillions of times at minimum to 'act ladylike', and that fighting is for males while she should be focussing on the academic side of life as women are 'better at that'; however, the fact that both male and female rulers are here is surprising.

"Ah, my little girl, the time has come," Leodore says.

"The royal parade will be happening shortly," states Serena.

"Okay, mommy and daddy," Celestia replies childishly, trying her damndest to hold back her discontent with the parade.

"I want to do it! Can't I have one! I want one, I want one, I want one!" yells Ruby, the actual child. "It's not fair."

"My sweet dear, you've already had one," replies Queen Serena.

"It's my turn!" Celestia screams, acting out the role of a royal child flawlessly. 'I don't want to do this at all, but I have to play the part of a child better if I'm going to keep the gig up. I think ten is a suitable age to drop the act. I'll probably do it earlier as this is starting to drive me up the wall.'

"This is dumb," utters Cirian.

"We also have another surprise after the festival," Leodore says while smiling to his wife.

"What is it?" asks Ruby.

"A super-secret!" answers Serena. "Now let us not waste another moment."



Celestia returns to the palace in the carriage, despite maintaining a face that could warm the hearts of millions, inside she is absolutely wrecked. The experience was similar to chinese water torture in her perspective. The entire time, she wanted the royal parade to end. If this is something she had do deal with annually, she formally quits being a princess. 

Why did she despise the event so much? She had flowers thrown at her, some lucky people got to kiss her on the cheek, she had to stand up for nearly three hours and sit for more than two, it was blazing hot the entire time causing her to become sweaty, and she had to deal with the deafening screams coming from the enormous crowd. At least she knows that the royalty is well-liked in the high-class and middle-class districts. The only plus side is that she got to look at the city from a ground-level view for the first time — this act very nearly altered her mind about the experience.

"So, what is the surprise?" Crian asks.

"You're going to have another sibling!" replies Leodore.

As soon as he had finished, he is firmly bonked on the head like a child by Serena who has a mixed expression on her face, "You just had to ruin it. I should be the one to say it since it's coming out of my body."

"Another sibling?" says Cirian. "Will it be a he or a she?"

"We don't know until we see a physician from the guild. Until we get a confirmation, if we get one at all, it'll be a mystery." 

'At least I won't be the youngest. The only problem is that if the child is a male, it could cause some inheritance issues later along the line after mom and dad kick the bucket. Wait, did I just call Leodore and Serena my parents? I only say "mommy" and "daddy" to imitate how a child would refer to their parents, but then, I subconsciously called them mom and dad. I'm turning into a child! Maybe its this body's brain frying my memories or soul or some voodoo hoodoo like that.'

"My father used to say to this to me: 'With royalty, son, there is a golden rule about succession. There will be an heir and a spare.' Now if either Cirian or this little guy dies, then other–"

Before Leodore could finish his rather dark joke, Serena strikes Leodore in the chin with her elbow cutting short his sentence immediately.

"My dear! You just have no restraint, do you?" berates Serena. "I've already spoken to you about these jokes."

"Apologies, it's just how I am," returns Leodore, rubbing his chin.

"Such a mental load, but it's why I love you," utters Serena.

"Mommy and daddy don't do any disgusting stuff like kissing in front of us!" yells Ruby.

"Go if you wish not to see it," says Leodore, his eyes still fixed on his wife.

"Run along kids, me and daddy wish to have some alone time."

'Don't have to tell me twice.'

30