Chapter 7: Oddity
567 16 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Celestia is the only child that was allowed to stay while Cirian and Ruby got sent to their bedrooms. Celestia didn't know why Serena allowed her to stay; maybe it was her begging or remarkably stubborn attitude that somehow convinced her mom to let her wait outside. However, she's starting to wish that she had left. Her heart thumps in her chest like war drums as she watches similar apothecaries, physicians, nurses and all such run in and out of the room. The majority of the servants present here were at her birth. It was watching her birth from another perspective.

A lot of the passing by staff would greet the princess briefly, before rushing in to assist the queen. Something lingered in the reincarnated princess' mind, a large bulk of the people looked worried, some pale in the face. Fear clouds Celestia thoughts at what was happening behind the door to make the people look so distressed. Her father, Leodore, is yet to be seen.

"Hello, little princess," a female voice says.

The anxious Celestia turns her head to the origin of the voice and comes face-to-face with a short woman wearing purple robes and has a golden staff in her hand-tipped with a red orb. The insides of the magical sphere seemed to be swirling and turning as if there was a hurricane contained within. She had the stereotypical witch hat that you'd expect to see in children's novels, but this one is well-kept and even has beautiful white flowers on it. At first, she assumed her to be kneeling because of how close the voice was to her. Celestia was so used to voices feeling slightly further away, due to nearly everyone towering over her. That was not the case today; this woman was just tiny.

Celestia wanted to say something, but she found herself unable to speak. The female just rubbed Celestia's head with a smile.

"I believe this out first time meeting, Princess Celestia. You are yet to meet me because I have been quite busy throughout the last couple of years with my work. It's prevented me from visiting you when you were born. I am Royal Archmage Petra Patrono, it's a pleasure to meet you," she spoke in a calming, quiet voice, almost angelic as the Queen herself.

She curtsied at the princess. It takes a few seconds for Celestia brain to catch up with her words and reply with her curtsy. Celestia stumbled a bit, her form massively off from what would be considered proper. Well, she was only two years old, what do people expect for her at this age? Or is it just royalty that have to be able to host feasts at the age of nine?

"You are worried about your mother's condition?" She knelt down to meet Celestia. "It's okay, princess, we have some of the best doctors, physicians and apothecaries in the Kingdom of Nuria. We have all eyes on her, the best eyes at that. I'm worried too, but I know she'll be safe if we pray to the Great Mother and Great Father. She'll be safe with our and their protection."

Celestia hesitantly nods, she was right, with this amount of people looking after and caring for Serena. The chances of her mother dying are low. Or at least Celestia hopes that's the case. The royal family are revered as Demigods, heads of the religion; most of the people here wouldn't flinch if they were demanded to commit a form Seppuku.

Petra gives Celestia a little lollipop before entering the room. The reincarnated princess watches as this mysterious figure disappears behind the doors. She runs over their conversation for a few moments before sudden recognising something. It was strange -- this was the first mention of mages she can recall since her birth. She's heard of magical enhancement/warrior magic but never of actual witches and wizards and mages and Harry Potter stuff.

The princess continued to wait, unaware of what is happening behind closed doors.

 



It was a known fact all of the royalty from all three of the Divine Bloodlines had the hair and eye colour representative of their founders. The Castemyre's had bright golden-yellow eyes and amethyst-like purple hair. Argendorne's have shining silver hair and eyes as blue as the ocean. Adellum's were gifted with crystal-like red and amber eyes accompanied with blazing crimson hair.

This child was different, thin brown hair with a very faint hint of red, not akin to that of the Royal Adellum Line. His eyes were not like precious shining rubies like all before his birth: they were a dull combination of red and grey. Not as bright as his mothers or her ancestors.

Serena lay in bed, bloodsoaked towels beside them along with people weeping tears of pure joy. She is exhausted, beyond so, her skin a deathly grey. She looked like a skeleton, a fragile one at that. Not a muscle of hers could be moved and her entire body on fire. She held the odd baby in her hands, crying silently as the baby settles in her arms.

"What is this?" The Queen hisses quietly. Why did this boy look so strange? He didn't even look like a royal child. The room was dead silent; the Queen's eyes laid upon everyone in her chambers. "Petra stays, everyone else who isn't royalty leaves, your work here is done."

"But, my Queen, y-" The physician's concerns are silenced with a harrowing scowl. The Queen delivered no more words towards him as his only choice was to leave with everyone else.

The physician shuffles from the room first. Everyone still present in the room bow, before funnelling out of the room one-by-one; each passing by the anxious princess, who was still waiting outside the bedroom.

"Is there something wrong with him?" Leodore questions, breaking the silence.

"Look at him," her voice was full of disgust and contempt as she stares at what she thinks is an abomination. Her usually motherly eyes becoming colder and colder the more she observed her new child.

"What are we going to name him?" Leodore squeaks, he didn't meet this side of Serena often and when he did he was frightened to his very soul.

"I thought it was your turn." She sinks into the bed. His very existence fills her with a great loathing.

This child is a 'Tainted Blood': an outrageously rare defect in all of the three royal bloodlines. Regarded as imperfect, unlike the perfect royals.

Hastily, she transfers the baby to her husband, not wanting to touch the boy anymore. This was not a royal child.

"Not after all of that," Leodore comments as he takes the baby from the Queen.

"What was the name of your uncle again, Leodore? The youngest one who travelled to Rhinea for a decade and had that insufferable laugh."

"Caesar," Leodore replies, rubbing his head a bit in embarrassment.

"Please, leave us, Leo with that in your hands. Have the child washed and do whatever. Tell Celestia that she may enter soon."

Leodore did not dare to protest or ask why his wife had grown so cold so suddenly. He didn't know what suddenly came over his wife, and frankly, he didn't want to be in such a crushing environment much longer. Leodore leaves the room, praying to the Great Mother and Great Father that something wasn't amidst. He goes over to comfort his daughter before disappearing down the halls of the palace.

The world became mute for several moments like reality itself was holding its breath and waiting for Serena to speak. Petra remains as still as she could; her eyes fixed firmly on the ground. Serena usually was a motherly and soft-spoken person, one who carried herself like an angel and who's voice alone could calm anyone; however, she has the capacity to terrify the masses with an aura like her mother and grandfather. Two equally fear-inspiring individuals. Though she carries herself like an angel, gliding with every step she took, yet her eyes could conjure a fury that could incinerate everyone and anyone. Petra could feel the heat herself.

"Did receive my letters while you were in Rhinea?" Serena's voice cut through the silence. She had lost most of the harshness in her tone.

"Yes, I did... I'm concerned for you Serena," Petra finally looks up and takes a deep breath. Her nervousness fading momentarily. "You've tried to hide the symptoms, haven't you? Your skin is grey, your pregnancies have grown more and more difficult, you've felt weak and feeble -- and you decided to not seek treatment?"

"Three individuals, you included, know of my illness. I have been seeking treatments for my ailment a particular Potion Experts in the Magic League. I ceased taking them five weeks due to my symptoms worsening abruptly," Serena clenches her fists and lets out a low growl. She hadn't raised her voice, she kept it calm and collected. "And then, just to rub it in, the Mother blesses me with an abomination of a son, the last thing I will do in this world. The first Tainted Blood to be born in a millennium. Why must the Great Two do this to me? The same bed I give birth to a mutant freak, the same bed I die on."

Petra was at a loss for words, she any confidence she had left had died. She solidified like a statue, awkwardly listening to her liege and friend.

"If I were a faithless, heartless Queen, I would command someone to drown my child. Yet, I don't want the last action I do in this realm is to order the slaughter a baby, my baby," the Queen says, she may be disgusted by the child as any royal parent would, but she was still a mother. "I may be disgusted by him, and it may be a disgrace to every one of my ancestors, but the Great Two have given me this child for a reason. Raise him as if he is any other royal child."

"I will inform Leodore," Petra nods moving towards the door to exit.

"How goes... your search in Rhinea?" The Queen asks, her voice growing slightly weaker.

"It will do you no good to continue speaking, my queen; save your strength and rest. I will inform you about Vermillion another day. After all, you should save some of your energy for Celestia," Petra bows and leaves.

Serena sighed, knowing Petra was right. A better time to discuss that will be when she is well-rested. "Come in... Celeste," she calls out to her daughter, who was patiently waiting outside the door.

I guess you could say this book has returned now after 10 long months. Hey, atleast it's here. First time writing a chapter for anything in ages as well so I hope I haven't worsened or anything. 2020 was a bit crazy and well, it didn't help my writer's block for any of my stories whatsoever. However, I have finally wrote something. I hope my brain can muster up a couple more chapters.

13