Chapter 4: Making A Friend
1.2k 13 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ruby and Celestia run down the palace halls, giggling and laughing together as they weave in and out of each other. For Ruby, this is merely playtime with her sister and a chance to get out of etiquette class; to Celestia, it is an opportunity to help improve her stamina. Behind the two uncontrollable girls is Ellionette, trying her damndest to keep up with the two balls of energy.

"Etiquette class is mind-numbingly boring," mutters Ruby. "Am I right, sis?"

Celestia replies with a nod instead of speaking mostly because she is already exhausted from running a few metres.

"Princess Celestia, Princess Ruby, please slow down!" Ellionette yells to them as her pace increases. Out of the corner of her eye, she spots two butlers dusting the doorframes. She whistles loudly, immediately catching the attention of both men. "Get them!"

""Yes ma'am,"" they both say as they dart in the way of both children.

"Go left!" shouts Ruby.

Doing as she's told, Celestia darts right and slips through the gap created with the distraction. Ruby dives through and between the legs of the older servants. Using their petite figures, the two manage to slip between the roadblock and continue the chase. Before the chase began, Ruby told Celestia to do the opposite to watch she said to confuse everyone. A reasonably intelligent tactic for a child to think up; however, it is to be expected considering the intelligence of Cirian.

Celestia and Ruby take two more turns, go through three separate doors, descend a staircase before taking one more turn out of sight. Their unpredictable and irregular movements confusing their pursuers. They dart into an empty guest room, confirming that they've managed to escape.

"That was fun," says Ruby. "We should do this again together."

"Isn't big sis tired?" asks Celestia panting.

"Hardly, I've done this many times before, but it's much funner with you Celeste."

"Funner isn't a word," Celestia comments without thinking.

"In my vocabulary it is, but getting caught isn't!" returns the red-haired older sister smiling.

'Dammit, I did the commenting without thinking thing again. But I have to agree with Ruby, this actually is quite fun. No one can judge me for it because I'm a child, therefore it is normal behaviour. In comparison to Ruby, my actions are nothing. Not only is she considerably mischievous but, quite cruel. She's probably the reason why most servants avoid me. They're scared that I'm like her.'

Just as Celestia is about to open the door to peak, Ruby pulls her backwards rather harshly and closes the door. No sooner than she does, what sounds like hundreds of footsteps go past. Ruby giggles as she hears the servants panicking at what to do.

After a few minutes, Ruby opens the door and allows Celestia to exit first. Immediately, she collides with someone rather hard. There are numerous loud clutters as what feels like thousands of metal objects dogpile ontop of Celestia. To an adult, such items would be harmless, but to Celestia, these items hurt a lot and each individual knock will probably leave a bruise of some sort.

Celestia opens her eyes to see herself surrounded by metal platters and cutlery. Prostrating themselves before the two princesses is a young girl no older than seven years old dressed as a maid. Her hair is rather long and silky for a commoner. Before Celestia could apologise, Ruby erupts like a volatile volcano. Going from calm to beyond enraged.

"Who are you to bump into royalty," screeches the harpy.

"A-apologies princess," the girl splutters like a broken car engine.

"Did I give you permission to speak?! You are to remain silent, you dirty whore!" Ruby roughly slams her foot onto the girl's hand. "What if one of these items were to cut or injure Celeste and permanently scar her? You are lucky. And it isn't I you should be apologising to, worm, apologise to my sister this instant and maybe your punishment will be less harsh. You stupid clutz!"

'Hot-diggity-damn! For a four-year-old, Ruby definitely has a mouth on her! I heard it was bad, but I never could've imagined her temper was this explosive and vile.'

"Ruby, this isn't necessary," squeaks Celestia, weakly trying to pull her sister from the maid, and diffuse the situation with manipulation of her cuteness.

"Listen, sis, if one of these would've scarred you, no matter if your royalty or not, it would've hurt your chances to get married."

'Scar me more please. No, that sounds really bad. Otherworld equivalent of the FBI, please don't kill me.'

"It doesn't matter, please leave it," Celestia says as she starts to pull harder on Ruby's dress.

"I'm so so so so sorry. Please forgive my worthless self. It was an accident, I should've been paying attention! I beg of you to forgive me! Please. I and my mother need this job to support our sick father," she whimpers, her forehead still digging into the ground.

"Mother you say?" mutters Ruby as she ponders on something for a few seconds before a grin forms on her face. "What is the name of your mother?"

"Erina, your royal highness."

"She will be punished for your mistakes. She will have to pack her bags after having ten lashes."

"No, she will not," states Celestia firmly as she steps away from her sister. The girl attempts to raise her head only to be shut down by Celestia. "Head down!"

"Yes, your royal highness!"

"You will serve me directly, and further mistakes will not go unpunished like this one, do you think this is fair, Ruby?" asks Celestia.

"Well, she is the one who bumped into you, therefore, it is up to you do decide the punishment. I doubt I will be able to change your mind," replies Ruby. "Very well, you will serve to Celestia directly, if I hear of any mistakes, you will sincerely regret it."

With that Ruby turns around and marches off in a huff. Once Celestia confirms she's gone, she turns to the child maid, "Are you okay, missy?"

"Yes, your royal highness," says the now-surprised maid.

"I apologise for that, I should've been more cautious and observant when leaving the room. This is my mistake, not yours."

"No, no, no, no, it is I at fault. If I..."

"It's okay. What is your name, maid?"

"You shouldn't concern yourself with me, I'm just a low-class girl."

"I command you, as the Second Princess of this Kingdom, to tell me your name! And take your head from the floor while you speak."

"Annabella Eri."

Celestia chuckles, "Your mother's full name is Erina Eri? I feel like me and you will get along fine, Miss Annabella."

"No need for honorifics, your royal highness," she mutters. "I'm a commoner."

"Another command, you will call me Celeste. Nothing more, nothing less! Is that understood?!"

"Yes, Celeste," she says. "To speak with such high authority casually is unnatural."

"Listen here, Annabella, I have no one to talk to other than my family, but that gets tiring after a while. Everyone seems so distant and I'm bored out of my mind. I needed something like this to happen, so I can forge a friendship with someone. No matter their class."

"Friend? You're my friend? I'm your friend? Friendship with royalty. This is a dream come true. I will not fail you, princess!"

"I doubt you will, Anna."

31