Prologue
1.2k 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue:

It's already been three months since I've started working on these castle grounds, which located outside Greifore Town. I'm one of the workers hired, along with my master Gustav, by Duke of Iscania, Leonard Neville. The Duke wanted to build a castle on the outskirts of the town. 

I'm under the guidance of Mr. Gustav even before we were hired to work for the Duke's castle. He is a blacksmith, and I'm his apprentice. I helped with forging and forming iron and steel for the construction of the castle and armaments. 

This morning, I was monotonously preparing the tools in and out of the shop and cleaning the furnace so my master can readily use them. 

Then, of course, there was a task of checking the swords, which isn't my favorite, since I'll be checking my image on its surface of each sword. My master made me do this because the Knights specifically insisted that it needed to be flawless since Knights love to check their reflection on their blades. 

Why not carry a mirror then? Don't make me remind of my ugly face every morning!

"Oh, good morning, lad! You're early as usual!" My master bellowed right by the door.

"No, old man. It's just that you're late... as usual." I responded without looking at him. I was checking my last sword.

"Ooohh~, is that how it is, eh? You wanted me to be early 'cause you didn't have enough of the training, I see..." 

I went rigid. While recalling the murderous training, I immediately shuddered. Quickly, I put the sword on the rack and slip out of my leather apron then hung it on the wall.

"I-I have to go fetch those supplies at the gate, master." 

I don't know if he's serious about what he said, but I'm sure that I don't want to undergo that experience today. I make my haste to avoid this impending doom. 

"Cris! Be sure to come back immediately; I have something to give you~!" 

He shouted that as I am already far away. I waved at him. "Okay, Mr. Gustav!"  

I walk quickly towards the gate. I noticed some servant girls as I passed and greeted them good morning. They only responded with a forced smile.

I sighed. When will I ever get a wife? Ugh. What am I thinking? I can't even get a girlfriend, how much more a wife. It's too much of a high hurdle. At this rate, I'm going to be an old bachelor, just like my master. 

Later on, I fetched the supplies and pulled the cart back to the master's shop. I passed by the servant girls again, and they are gazing at someone.

When I take a look, they were looking at this young man. He was also a servant, but he had a subtle presence, and I admit he's a little good looking. I wished I was like him, but I want to be more handsome.  

After daydreaming, I resumed pulling the cart when I heard a scream. It came from one of the servant girls. They were pointing at the young man and shouting. 

When I turned to look at him, I saw he was under a stone-walled gate that was crumbling, and big stones were falling. Instantly, I was running towards him while shouting at him to run away from the wall.  

Good thing, he didn't get hit by the falling stones.

".. huff..huff... Are you alright?" I asked the young man who was searching for something on the ground near the debris.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you." He responded but didn't even look at me.

"..No, you could have died! Why aren't you running away?" I grabbed his hand to led him away.

"Hey, you two! Get away from there!" Some of the workers shouted at us from above.

"We have to stay away from here. Come on!" I exclaimed.

"Wait! I was delivering these documents to His Grace, and some of it was under that stone there. I just needed to get it." He said as he was pointing at a huge rock, and there's a piece of paper stuck out from it.

"No, no. I got this. Just go." 

I walked over to that stone, easily lifted the edge of it, and pulled the files. I walked back towards him, but then his face immediately filled with horror and shouting something I can't decipher. 

For a second, it got dark. I looked up and saw a big stone falling towards me. I realized right away that I wouldn't be able to avoid it. The last thing I heard was his scream then I was consumed with darkness. 

11