1-Waking up to rain
1.5k 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the middle of an alley was a very weak young man asleep, his home, built upon pieces of wood resembling a square hut which did little to protect him from the rain.

“Ha!”

He screamed in pain, unknown why the sudden burst of pain. The soul of the previous body and his were merging in a painful process, the merge lasted a minute and vanished as quickly as it began.

He huffed, his body shaking, and looked around. This home barely functioned as a shack. There was a knife across from him next to some bread.

“I wanted to kill myself? Come on,” he looked up as the memories of him attempting suicide multiple times flooded mixing with his memories the life of this one was sad, more so than his life before reincarnation.

‘I can’t remember how I got here, wait I died in my sleep I know that much, did I meet god?’ his mind cluttered the more he thought about how he got here the more he grew to accept it, it as a weird sensation telling him that this was natural.

But he accepted and the more he knew the world he had entered. “I’m in the Danmachi world? This is a good choice. Did I get a wish? Hm... I can’t remember.” He looked around, seeing the rain outside and the hut he lived in.

“I guess even in a new life I have no family huh,” he chuckled at his sorry state.

-Growl

His stomach churned. He looked at the bread. It was probably a few days old. He grabbed it and ate it whole. He was careful but stepped out of the small home and into the rain.

He removed his clothes and washed them. Since he was in the alley, there was no one to see him.

Moby looked cleaner now, his hair long enough to cover his eyes. He could tell it was a metallic red, and with the spare change of clothes, looked slightly better. Feeling more comfortable, he sighed, watching the rainfall.

Staring out into space he organised his thoughts, ‘I need a plan I’m joining Hestia’s familia it’s small but if I work hard enough, I can make big splashes and with the magnet Bell I can also get stronger,’ he glanced at a small knife across from him.

‘Right now, though, I need to join the guild and become an adventurer. I wanna at least have some value before joining the familia, although I doubt they’d turn me away.’

He waited out the rain as soon as it let up and ran across the streets to the enormous building in the distance; he knew his way around thanks to his recent memories also He could see the massive tower in the distance, which isn’t close to the guild but close enough.

[Orario Guild]

Arriving at the building, he entered. Many eyes darted towards him, but soon all lost interest in seeing a poor sap walking in the building.

He walked up to a free till and across from him stood a familiar half-elf. She tilted her glasses, greeting him with a smile.

“Greetings customer. How may I help you?”

Seeing her across from him left him dumbstruck for a second before he spoke. “I’m curious if I could become an adventurer. Is it possible without joining a familia?”

She nodded her mind going to the same thought, “of course, we have a list of various familia’s who are always recruiting for newcomers, but we can also enlist you in the guild if that’s what you prefer though we highly discourage that as you won’t grow stronger without Falna from a god or goddess so it is in the best opinion to join a familiar but if you rather not then the commission fee will be slightly larger and if you agree that way then we can register you immediately.”

She paused a second, scrutinising him. “Erm, do you have any capable skills or experience before we continue? I apologize, it's our rules, so we don’t send anyone to their deaths.”

Moby nodded, saying no would have him immediately sidelined, and his knowledge in chemistry and biology wouldn’t be that beneficial and neither would say he can land five bottle flips in a row, but that was his past life and this one he has experienced with fighting other people.

‘Life here is tough,’ he sighed and looked at the half-elf, “I have some combat experience and am capable with a short sword, knife or glaive but I’m sure with some practice I can be a more desirable candidate in the future,” he flashed a grin.

Eina across could only smile, ‘another one sigh,’ she nodded and continued to create papers for him. Name Moby Tick, Age 16, a few minutes later he got an adventurer's card.

“With this, you have access to the lower floors. Please be careful and don’t push yourself,” she smiled like an employee member.

“Mn, thank you,” he bowed and turned to leave.

-Bump

“Oh, sorry eh?” “I-I;m so sorry!”

He clashed with the man the rabbit himself, Bell Cranel, “Uh y-yeah, just watch your step is all,” Moby chuckled before leaving the guild.

“Eina, who was that?” Bell asked, pointing to his back.

“Hah, a newcomer like you... he hasn’t joined a familia.”

The boy’s eyes widened as he glanced, Eina reading his mind raised her hand, “not happening Bell.”

[Dungeon of Babel] [First floor]

Moby stood at the entrance in front of him the walls are light blue coloured and in front a ten-meter-long hole that leads straight into the dungeon.

-Gulp

He clutched his fist and descended onto the first floor. There was a wide hallway lit with blue light. The source knew what he had to do and to be careful.

-Kree!

‘Goblin!’ He glared at the green midget and dodged back, ‘as a follower of the five slayers I will end your existence!’

He pulled out the small knife and charged at the goblin. He dodged its swing, closing the gap as he stabbed it in the neck.

-Shunk.

The blade was well in. He twisted the blade until a pop sounded.

-Pop! -Poof!

It exploded into smoke, leaving a small gem behind. He felt weird by how calm he was rather, but because his other half was from this world, adapting to it became easier and seeing monsters were natural; he pocketed the gemstone as another goblin appeared.

A grin flashed across his face as he dashed towards the creature.

Moby spent roughly an hour hacking and slashing against goblins. There were times he had to jump back to avoid their claws. His shirt got torn because of that and, with his quick thinking, he tossed it as a distraction.

-Kree?

He threw it at the goblin’s face and stabbed its stomach with another one to the neck. ‘goblin slayer was right.’

He closed his eyes as it exploded in his face, dropping its core.

“Hah, huff... how many now 17?” He didn’t know what the exchange rate was, but he wanted enough so he could rent a room and have a decent meal, and some new clothing, too.

He got up and, after some more monster hunting, decided to not go deeper. Right now, the first floor would be his limit.

‘I need a guidebook,’ he sighed and turned to leave.

“Hi!”

“Woah!” Moby jumped, falling flat on his ass. ‘Bell?’

“A-ah I’m so sorry, let me help you up, uh hi my name’s Bell. We met in the guild,” he smiled.

“M-moby,” he mumbled, his heart ready to jump out of his chest.

Bell nodded, his eye shining as he got to the real matter, “I heard you’re not in a familia. I was wondering if you wanted to join ours! I can promise you, goddess, is nice, and you can talk to her immediately.”

Moby staggered, the boy shining like a bright light. “I’ll take it to mind, but right now, I just want to get strong first.” He covered his face even with those words. Bell was shining like a mini sun.

“Thank you. It’s the Hestia Familia,” he pulled his hands into a handshake, “I’ll see you there!”

He smiled and ran off further into the dungeon, “I didn’t even say yes, well, whatever.”

[Orario Guild]

Moby made it back and unlike before, some adventurers were looking at him more so than before, probably because he was topless.

Eina, who was also glancing at the Moby, sighed before turning to a co-worker, “can you please take my shift? I’ll speak to him.”

After being covered she went over to him, ‘why is he topless?’ “Excuse me, uh I’m sorry I forgot your name.”

“Moby, ah It’s you from before,” he acted surprised and smiled, “I’m back from the dungeon and brought these, I didn’t go deeper though since you know,” he motioned to his top shirt and some light scars across his body some he gained before transmigrating.

“Y-you did?” she looked at the stones in his hand. ‘He did,’ she glanced at his face, giving a closed smile and nodded, “please head to that till over there.”

She moved to the back, and Moby chuckled. He could tell her surprise. He followed and placed his magic stones. The tray slid in and quickly was replaced with coins.

‘Hehe, gold, wait why am I so excited?’ he grabbed the coins which amounted to 16,500 Valis.

He thanked Eina and left quickly. He knew his way around the city and went into a weapons shop. The owner was a racoon man.

There were also other people inside, Moby browsed looking at the weapons and prices, ‘if only I have an appraisal skill, but whatever... oh?’ He picked a Glaive it was slightly shorter than him, but it looked good and the price was just 4,000.

This helped as he went on and found some used reinforced brown leather clothes, a shirt 2,000, leather pants 1500, boots 500, gloves 500 and a leather pouch.

“I’d like to buy these please,” he dropped it all on the counter. The Raccoon man glanced, “8,500.”

‘Damn,’ he thought while paying. He left the store and moved to an alley to change. He now looked somewhat like an adventurer.

‘It’s time to hunt.’

[Dungeon of Babel] [First floor]

-Shunk!

He thrust his glaive, splitting the head of a goblin; he exhaled, wiping the sweat from his face and looked back. There were five dead bodies. After getting the stones, he went further into the labyrinth.

‘Dodge!?’ He jumped back in time as a blur smashed the space in front of him. He growled, seeing a fury humanoid monster ‘kobold.’

It bared its claws and charged, Moby clenched his butt cheeks and thrust the Kobold dodged getting up close

-Pah!

Its claw struck the spear. He followed with a headbutt and jumped back, ‘my hands feel numb, guess I’m not that great in combat yet.’

Both circled each other. “Hu!” he dashed and swung from the side, expecting it to jump. He followed its path.

-Guaaa!

He sliced its front and dashed close, clenching his fist and punching it in the face, staggering the kobold back before he went in for one last thrust.

-Shunk! -Poof

“Hah phew,” he exerted himself to keep up and strike. At that moment, his body was burning and yet, despite it all, he was excited.

30