Chapter 17: Ring
357 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Severus decided to spend the rest of the day thinking about his future plans and if there was one thing that helped Severus think calmly, it was when he was making potions.

So he decided to go to Diagon Alley to sell the parts he had taken from the Acromatulas he killed and with that to buy various ingredients for potion making.

He had already planned to brew the potions he owed Borgin for the sword and Severus would also make several potions for Draco and Hermione for their headache and for their more persistent burns to improve as the days went by.

He had learned a lot about medical magic and patient treatment, all thanks to Madame Poppy Pomfrey who was the magical nurse who attended him at Hogwarts.

Whenever Severus finished a fight with Potter and his bullies, she was the one who was in charge of helping him.

Madam Pomfrey was always very professional in her work and he respected the woman for that, he learned a lot from her over the years.

Once Severus had left the room to let them rest.

Hermione, who when she woke up had instantly noticed the lack of her wand and Severus' treatment of her burns, belatedly noticed another small detail she hadn't noticed before.

She and Draco were wearing only an apron and Severus had treated their burns, so he had undressed them.

Hermione blushed at the thought, she was quite embarrassed and furious because no one had ever seen her naked before.

But she calmed down quite a bit when she realised that he had at least left her in her underwear and that he had covered these parts with magical bandages.

It was still embarrassing, but Hermione relaxed noticeably at how professional Severus had been in attending her burns.

She couldn't be angry about it, but she was still a little red-faced at the awkward and embarrassing situation she was in.

 

           ~~~~~~~

 

-20 June 1976, England, Great Britain.

 

-Cookeworth City, House of Severus Snape.

The next day, when Draco and Hermione awoke, Severus proceeded to give them back their wands.

He had taken them before just to avoid trouble, but now that they had come to an agreement under oath, it seemed reasonable to give them back.

A wizard without his wand always feels naked and helpless, so it seemed the right thing to do as a show of trust between them.

 Draco and Hermione were very grateful that Severus now trusted them enough to give them their wands.

When they woke up to be questioned by Severus, they knew immediately that they didn't have their wands.

They both tried not to be too alarmed at the time, but they knew that he could hex or threaten them at any moment and there was nothing they could do about it.

That was one of the reasons why Hermione couldn't help but talk non-stop, explaining and answering things as calmly as she could to Severus, it was her way of calming down.

Draco, unlike her, preferred to be quiet in a difficult situation.

During the conversation, Hermione did her best to sound confident and not show her concern, but still, she was very uneasy without her wand, she knew she was in a dangerous situation, she was a witch without a wand at the moment, and she was at Severus' mercy.

And to make matters worse, she was looking to make a deal under those conditions with a wizard-like Severus Snape, he had everything in his favour to threaten her or torture her so that she or Draco would give him all the information without the need to make a deal.

Clearly, Hermione wouldn't give any information under torture, but Severus didn't know that and she didn't trust Draco to be that strong either.

And since Hermione was at a disadvantage, the best option she could find for the moment was to present herself as his distant cousin, this would make Severus suspicious but it would also make him more curious and open to listening to her.

Hermione had already thought of several ways to blend in with Draco at that moment without raising too much suspicion on them.

One of those options was to use the Prince family along with Severus to validate their identities at the Ministry and Hogwarts, but she had more options as well.

She wished to have had more time to think about the best option, but given her unexpectedly disadvantageous meeting with Severus before she could think things through, she proceeded to choose the option that best suited the situation she found herself in.

Hermione knew Severus wanted answers as to why two unknown wizards were lying unconscious in his house with burn wounds all over their bodies.

She probably could come up with a lot of excuses, like death eaters, but it wasn't entirely convincing, so she decided to go with the option involving Severus and his family, fortunately, she had already thought of a credible backstory for that option.

At that point, Hermione was a little reassured because she knew from Professor Snape's memories that he would not go so far as to torture her for information, at most he would threaten or frighten her in various ingenious ways, but he would not resort to physical violence. 

Severus Snape always considered himself intelligent and capable enough to be able to get the results he wanted without the use of torture, he felt it was unnecessary to extract information through physical violence or suffering.

He was above such acts, Severus would use his wits, intimidation, or a potion if necessary to get the same or better results.

But Hermione was wrong to think that young Severus would believe anything she said, she thought to use her distrust and intrigue to get him to listen to her all the way through, but he didn't even give her time to explain things, she had expected him to be so distrustful, but not that he wouldn't let her keep talking.

He simply shut her up with a spell and proceeded to talk to Draco and it was then that Hermione gave up hope that her alibi would work.

'Luckily it all worked out pretty well..., not as I expected, but it could have been worse' Hermione thought.

"Alright, take this, it'll help ease your headache," Severus said, handing them a potion that looked awful.

But neither of them complained, they just nodded and took the potion.

"And this for your burns, it will accelerate the recovery process," he added, handing them another potion that looked and smelled even worse.

Hermione and Draco looked at each other for a few seconds thinking that maybe he was just trying to poison them, but they shook their heads and took the potion.

"Bloody hell, this is disgusting, it tastes like Troll shit," Draco complained as he took the potion.

Despite Hermione thinking the same as Draco, she didn't complain out loud.

"What Draco means is thank you, Severus," said Hermione thanking Severus and looking at Draco with an angry and disapproving look.

It was good enough that he was helping them without them complaining now.

"You're welcome, now to the important thing, you two are still in no condition to move around," Severus began.

"So, to save time, it would be best if you tell me where the ring is now so that I can do all the paperwork at Gringotts," he finished.

Draco and Hermione agreed with that, although the deal was that the responsibility of giving him the ring was theirs, but if they gave him the location at his request and Severus got the ring, it didn't affect the oath.

 Finally, they told him where the ring was and Severus wasted no time in going to look for it on his own.

It was only a few hours before Severus got the ancestral ring of the Prince family.

It wasn't hard to find the ring, which was in an old abandoned castle in the Republic of Ireland.

Draco and Hermione knew the exact location, so it wasn't difficult for him to get to the castle and get it out of the place where it was hidden.

After taking the ring, Severus headed for Gringotts Bank, which was in the middle of Diagon Alley.

Gringotts was always a very imposing building.

Severus climbed the white stairs that led up to a pair of tall silver doors manned by two goblin guards. 

He was very interested in learning the techniques the goblins used for the security of Gringotts, as Severus wanted to protect his own laboratory so he could experiment with all sorts of things in peace.

 

 

When Severus reached the main hall after passing through the silver doors, he saw many rows in the corridor, each with goblins sitting at high tables doing their work.

He also saw many wizards and witches waiting patiently in line.

Severus had rarely been to Gringotts as he had no business at the bank due to his limited income, but he knew the inner workings. 

He walked to one of the lines where he found a smaller queue and lined up for his turn. 

When it was finally Severus' turn, he saw that the goblin was writing something down without paying attention to him.

"Excuse me," he said trying to get the busy goblin's attention.

The goblin looked up clearly annoyed at being interrupted, then looked him up and down for a few seconds. 

"What do you need, wizard?" he asked.

Severus didn't mind the goblin's behaviour, he already knew they all had this attitude.

"I am here to take the inheritance test and register as the only direct heir," Severus said and gestured to his ring.

"Hmm..., right... What is the name of the House?" the goblin asked, staring at Severus' ring. 

"Prince," Severus replied calmly.

 The goblin looked at him for a few more seconds and then began to leaf through a thick book on his desk. 

"Let's see...Prince... Uh-oh yes, right, the House has no heir..." the goblin commented.

"So you want to go through the verification and proof of inheritance?" he asked, looking at Severus.

"Yes," Severus nodded.

"The requirements..."

"I fulfill all the requirements to restore my pureblood status and become the heir to the family," Severus said quickly, confident and calm, he didn't want to waste time. 

"Correct, Dorgob!" he said and another goblin approached the desk.

"Call Master Korgad for a blood verification and an inheritance test," the goblin ordered once he arrived.

Dorgob nodded and ran quickly, shortly after he returned with another goblin.

"Follow me, wizard," the new goblin named Korgad said to Severus the instant he reached his side.

The two of them walked through the vast marble hall, many wizards and witches were lining up to withdraw some gallons or exchange currency.

Finally, they reached a private cubicle that was apparently Korgad's office.

"So, a blood test and an inheritance test, right?" asked the goblin in his usual rude manner.

"Yes, I want to take the Prince family heritage and lineage test, to be the heir" Severus just nodded and explained again.

"Very well, first will be the test of inheritance. That would be 5 gallons for the blood lineage verification" Korgad informed with a bored look and voice.

"Here..." Severus calmly handed the five gallons to the goblin.

Although a part of him wanted to curse the goblins for this scam, 5 gallons was a lot of money for a wizard.

Especially for someone like Severus who had lived his entire life on this planet with the bare essentials. 

The goblin took the gallons complacently and then handed him a parchment along with a small sharp object.

"Here, take this and cut your finger," instructed Korgad who was clearly more interested in the coins than in the matter of Severus.

 Severus made a small cut on his finger.

Then the goblin placed the parchment in front of Severus and told him to put a few drops on it. 

Severus did as he was told and stared at the unusual changes in the form of codes on the parchment. 

It looked like a machine processing the information it had just received.

Korgad took the parchment in front of Severus and stood analysing the changes just as Severus did, but he seemed to understand everything that was going on, unlike Severus, who only saw strange codes.

 After a few moments, the parchment seemed to have begun to finish the blood analysis.

"Hmm... it looks like you can pass the heredity test, Wizard," Korgad said holding out the paper in front of Severus again.

 The parchment had information about Severus' blood heritage:  

 

Severus Tobias Snape

 

Age: 16 years old

 

Father: Tobias Snape

 

Muggle Bloodline

 

Mother: Eileen Snape (née Prince)

 

Magical Bloodline

 

- Prince family (50% blood)

 

 'Wow... 50%? That means my mother had already passed the heredity test before she was kicked out of the family' thought Severus rather surprised. 

Severus thought that he must have only 25% of the Prince's blood, as he hadn't expected his mother to have taken the inheritance test.

The children of the more orthodox and older pureblood families usually go through an inheritance test before becoming the next heirs, this test is actually a blood ritual in which the wizard strengthens the blood of his family's bloodline, thus converting the 'blood impurity' he has from another family to only pure blood of the family's bloodline, making him a pureblood wizard with a pure bloodline.

To perform the blood ritual, a mage must have at least 15% blood of the family lineage, be under the age of 18 and have the ancestral ring of the family in question.

The higher the percentage of blood in the mage, the greater the likelihood that the blood ritual will be successful.

Although blood rituals are forbidden and penalised by the Ministry of Magic, as this is an ancient tradition of pureblood houses to maintain and strengthen their bloodlines, the Wizengamot approved and allowed this ritual to continue to be performed under the strict supervision of Gringotts who are responsible for taking all necessary measures to avoid problems during the ritual.

It can be said to be a fairly safe ritual as it does not compromise anyone's life under the supervision and measures of Gringotts.

It managed to avoid the death of the wizard who goes through the inheritance test in case of failure.

"Very well, would you like to take the blood test now?" asked Korgad, ignoring Severus' surprise at seeing the details on the parchment.

"Yes, that's what I came for," Severus replied.

An uneasy feeling came over him as he saw the goblin's eyes begin to glow brightly and his mouth curl up.

'Well, who would have thought..., now I know why they are always so serious...'   

'...If they always smiled like that they wouldn't have a single customer, it's creepy' thought Severus amused.

"Follow me, the chamber for the Inheritance test is a bit isolated from the main facility," Korgad said as he led him through different corridors of Gringotts bank.

21