Vol. 1 Chapter 126: The Bulgarian-Serbian War 2
120 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was difficult to tell exactly when or where Bulgaria would start attacking, but he knew that the army had to be consolidated now!

The meeting began with Subrovich's usual style of the snub. No, it was a morale booster.

"Gentlemen, the Second War of Bulgaria-Serbia has begun. A few hours ago, Bulgaria declared war on us!

It takes a thousand days to raise an army and a thousand days to use it!

When a country is in trouble, it shows its heroic character!

Nine years ago, in the first war between Serbia and Bulgaria, we lost, and the shame of the war has been engraved on the heads of every Serbian soldier since then! The high cost of the war has been on the shoulders of the Serbian people ever since!

The country's economic crisis has erupted into political chaos and civil disorder!

Now the Bulgarians are here again, and it's a narrow escape!

The opportunity has come for us Serbian soldiers, and it can only wash away the shame on our foreheads with blood!

Win this war, and Serbia will have a new life..."

It's a pity that before Subrovich could finish, the retainer barged into the command with great haste and handed the telegram to Subrovich!

When he looked at the telegram, Subrovich's face was getting ugly. The Bulgarians had actually attacked!

Of course, Bulgaria has declared war, and now that it launched the attack, it does not surprise him. The key is where the attack is very special!

Subrovich's military instincts were still very good. When the Bulgarian army attacked from the Vidin region, its strategic objective was clear to see, straight to the Serbian capital - Belgrade!

The assumption is that Niš has fallen to accomplish their goal! It is clear that to him, the Bulgarians have already beaten Subrovich!

Otherwise, the army in the Niš area can strike from the flank at any time and cut off their retreat!

Subrovich slapped the table, followed by a smirk! Since the Bulgarians are so cocky, here's your chance!

The Serbian army in the Niš region is not the 168,000 that existed a few days ago! One after another, reinforcements are coming from all over. It makes the total number of troops in the Niš region already up to 210,000!

The reason is simple, Serbia has given up on attacking Tran and therefore threatening Sofia from the lower South Morava region! Even the most confident Serbian general does not think it is a good choice to march on Sofia now!

The plan of the Serbian military, with a small number of troops deployed in the area next to Tran, threatened Sofia and held back the Bulgarian forces! The main force is concentrated in the Niš area to lure the enemy deeper and then make a decisive battle!

In theory, the Serbian army has the right strategy to complete a strategic deception! There are already gathered in the Niš area, 80,000 elite and 130,000 mixed, four times more than The Left Army's forces!

The pressure was on Subrovich. If Serbia was to win this war, they had to destroy the Left Army before Bulgaria could react!

It isn't easy to keep a massive army movement secret, and even with the cover, the intelligence officers discovered the movement of the Serbian army!

Ferdinand, far away in Sofia, is discussing with the General Staff!

"What do you think?" Ferdinand asked.

Chief of Staff Petrov analyzed: "Serbia is concentrating its forces in the Niš area, aiming directly at our Left Army!

For now, the easiest or most conservative way is to order the Left Army to defend the place by relying on fortifications! Even if Serbia concentrates more than 200,000 troops, it is unlikely to break through the Mount Mijur defense line!

Although the troops are four times as strong as they are, we have the upper hand regarding firepower! Just delay a few days; the Middle Army or the Right Army will get a chance to break through and attack from both sides, and we will finish the Serbian army!

The downside is that if this happens, the Serbs in the Niš area will likely run away before we besiege them!

There is also the possibility of sending reinforcements to the Left Army simultaneously. There are still three new divisions in Sofia, and it will only take three days to reach the Mijur area before launching a decisive battle!

In that case, the Left Army would have to face Serbia's main force alone for three days. There is a certain risk! But the generals at the front, who mostly support the second option, believe there is no way the Serbs can defeat the Left Army in three days!"

Ferdinand asked hesitantly, "What would be the outcome of the second option, if the most pessimistic estimate of the staff was followed?"

Petrov replied very professionally, "The Left Army suffered heavy losses and was forced to fall back to the area of Mount Mijur for defense!"

"Your opinion is also in favor of the risk now?" Ferdinand asked, puzzled.

Petrov explained: "Yes, Your Highness! Although this would be very risky, we can totally afford it! It is bearable to suffer tens of thousands of casualties in order to cripple Serbia!

With the most optimistic estimates, our Left Army may directly defeat Serbia's main force, and then Serbia will not be able to get a warlike soldier all the time in ten years!

Although there are more than 200,000 people in the Niš area, the real threat to us is only the main force of 80,000; the remaining 100,000 or so people, who have not received professional training, can hardly be used to attack!

Weapons and equipment are their greatest weakness. Serbia's military industry is weak, and they must import most of the weapons and ammunition. The number of types of weapons they are equipped with now, perhaps the people in the munitions office may not be able to figure it out!"

Ferdinand thought about it. The fighting strength of the Bulgarian army is not bad, and the big deal is only the loss of the Left Army! It would be worthwhile to cripple only Serbia and say, "Then let's do it!"

...

At dawn, the Right Army has ended the battle! At this time, the sky has been slightly shown gold, and the clouds rushed to gather in the sky, dipped in blood, showing a faint red.

Popov was busy counting the battle results while being interviewed by war correspondents!

Frankly, he didn't consider defeating a bunch of peasants who had just put down their guns to be any great achievement!

But war needs heroes! Being one of the first units to achieve success in battle is something that it must publicize!

For the general public, it is too difficult to distinguish with them the difference between the main force and those that are not. It is better just to say how many enemies were annihilated to be done!

As long as the numbers are big and powerful, it's fine! Obviously, Popov's Right Army is doing a great job, with absolutely enough numbers to kill the enemy and very few casualties of their own, which is perfect for propaganda!

"General Popov, what do you think about the battle yesterday?" Bulgarian Daily journalist asked.

Popov said with a headache: "Sorry, Irene, I'm really busy now! The results of the war are still being counted, you can watch and write, it doesn't matter, I don't care!"

Irene said without resting, "But Uncle Popov, this is my first war visit, it's important! You have to know that I specifically applied to come here, and you have to cooperate, it's a propaganda need!"

Popov rubbed his forehead and said, "Irene, my dear niece, I now order you, as Commander-in-Chief of the Right Army, to go to rest right now! This is a military order, and if you continue to annoy me here, you will be sent to Sofia now!"

Irene glared fiercely, puffed up, and turned around and left!

1