Vol. 1 Chapter 132: Decisive Battle
113 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Minister of War asked reluctantly: "Can't we think of another way? Can't we do something else? Raise a sum of money from the private sector or take out a loan from abroad?

As long as there is enough weaponry, we can still arm a few more divisions, and if these Bulgarians, this partial division, dares to come, we will be able to seal the gap?"

The Prime Minister gave him a blank look and walked away without saying a word! He knew the Serbs had paid enough for this war. The young and strong workforce had been siphoned off!

In order to raise funds, a frantic devaluation of the dinar, and sharp inflation, have burdened the citizens, and if it were not for the Bulgarian invasion, perhaps the revolution would have broken out by now!

As for international loans, isn't that a joke? A government that could fall at any time, who would be so stupid as to lend him money!

...

Fearing that he could never have dreamed, Subrovich was given a direct message by the Prime Minister! Upon receiving orders from the country, he immediately stepped up the offensive!

In the dark of night, the silence was broken by artillery fire twenty miles away from Mount Mijur, as one Serbian soldier, armed with a bag of explosives, charged heroically against the Bulgarian lines under a hail of bullets!

With guns blazing, the defenders seemed to be prepared for the enemy's attack, and the 'pop, pop, pop' sounded as they began a frantic harvest!

After the brave Serbian soldiers had paid the price of their lives, they finally got close to the line, and with a "boom", they successfully detonated the explosive package, and he destroyed a single fire point!

The heroic story they can sing is constantly played out in the darkness of the night, as one Serbian volunteer team, under cover of their comrades, rushed into the defense line and died with the defenders!

Although the Serbian soldiers had done a great job, it did not help the overall situation! Compared to the price paid, the results achieved were minimal!

In one night, after paying up to 8,000 casualties, only a dozen fire points were terminated, which was insignificant for the impact of the entire defense line!

But Subrovich now does not care. This big gamble has begun, Serbia has no way back, and he has no way back!

Compared to the daytime, the exchange ratio of the night attack has dropped too much! It has been reduced from dozens to one to five to one, although still hard to accept, but at least see the hope of victory!

Now it's Dante Christov's turn to worry on the other side. Subrovich's performance is abnormal! Last night, the Serbian army showed fighting power; before, is a totally different concept!

Never looking at the five-to-one exchange ratio is very good. Once the defensive line where the gap is torn open, the situation will be instantly reversed, both sides make short work of each other, and casualties will certainly increase greatly!

Bulgaria was on the verge of victory, so he had no intention of taking the Left Army to die with the Serbs!

Dante Christov asked hesitantly, "What did the Chief of Staff think of the Serbian offensive last night?"

The chief of staff said with a smile: "The Serbian army is not as useless as we thought. Their officers are still very capable. It is impressive enough to lead a group of mobs to break out as such a fighting force!

But now Subrovich has no choice and is taking a complete gamble with a little luck! Our Right Army, now moving towards Belgrade, if he can't defeat us soon, then in another half month, the army will have to come to their capital!

Our first reinforcements, three new divisions, are only fifty kilometers away and will arrive tomorrow morning; if they can't defeat us before then, they won't stand a chance!"

Dante Christov tapped his head and suddenly said: "No, the Serbs should not yet know our strategic purpose. After all, the logistic supply line is so long that they can cut it off at any time with just two regiments and come to a counter-encirclement!

And according to their estimates, our earliest reinforcements should be able to arrive only three days later!

Then the strong attack last night makes sense. They think they still have time to destroy us!

If not, they didn't get a breakthrough last night, and they should have given up by now. After all, in daylight, our firepower advantage is too great for them to get a victory!

If we can break through them tonight, it is useless, as reinforcements will arrive at most tomorrow, and our Left Army is finished together!

But Subrovich would never dare to do that. Once the army in the Niš region is finished, Serbia is finished too!"

The chief of staff brightened up and said, "In that case, why don't we just let them do it? Let the reinforcements speed up and come overnight, we'll let go of part of the defensive line, set up a gaping pocket formation, and fight them head on!"

Dante Christov was a little hesitant. As the commander-in-chief, he had to think about the overall situation, the chief of staff's proposal was too bold! Even with the heavy losses of the Serbian army in the Niš area in the last few days of the war, there were still 140,000 to 150,000 soldiers who could fight.

And what about their own side? More than 40,000 people can be put into the battlefield by the Left Army, and even with the reinforcements of three divisions that are not fully organized, there are only 80,000 people!

It may be possible to defeat the Serbian army, but what about casualties? What would be the value of losing 30,000 to 50,000 men, even if they achieved victory?

Having difficulty deciding, Dante Christov turned his attention to the others and asked, "What do you think?"

The commander of the First Division was the first to comment, saying, "I support the opinion of the Chief of Staff to fight the Serbs, a strong army needs to be tempered by iron and blood!"

"But what about the risks? I have no doubt that if we make a decisive battle now, victory will surely be ours, but what about the casualties? Such a victory would be meaningless to us if the losses are too high!" A staff officer questioned.

...

The crowd was arguing about it, it was difficult to unify the opinion, and it returned the question to Dante Christov.

"Well, it's better for me to make the decision! You're all right, for all the right reasons, and in line with the current situation in Bulgaria!

We have a limited population and can't afford too many losses! But a strong army, again, must go through the experience of iron and blood!

I have decided to have a decisive battle with the Serbs right now, and I will take the responsibility no matter the outcome, so let's start preparing now, everyone!

Now pass my order, make the reinforcements speed up, and you must come here tonight!

Before dawn, the First Division creates an opening to the southeast and lets the Serbs in the trap! Set up a pocket formation inside and cover them with artillery fire at dawn to make them regret coming into this world!"

...

0