Vol. 1 Chapter 134: One General Achievement is Ten Thousand Bones
114 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kuristlejic, the 2nd Serbian Division commander, looked at the casualty report in his hands and could not speak for a long time!

However, the Second Division lost a regiment of troops in just one day. Such casualties have exceeded his heart's ability to bear!

It is completely different from the previous attack. These are the main forces and not the same concept of various troops!

Yes, they are making good results, more than 10 miles long defensive line, the Bulgarians, who are under-strength, can not bear it and retreat to the second line of defense!

After all, the machine gun is not invincible; it will be jammed after a long time and takes time to load ammunition. As long as you are willing to fill with human life, you can still seize the opportunity!

Kuristlejic can be sure that such an offensive, as long as it lasts for two or three days, can breach the enemy's defenses, but by then, the second division will also no longer exist!

As a senior officer, he naturally understood why he had to fight for his life, but having seen the casualties in front of him, Kuristlejic hesitated!

After some thought and hesitation, he finally gritted his teeth and walked into the command!

Subrovich gave him a puzzled look and asked, "What is Kuristlejic doing here if he is not commanding the war at the front?"

Kuristlejic said pleadingly, "General, we can't go on fighting this battle! Even if we can destroy the enemy in front of us, it won't change the end of Serbia's defeat. Stop the attack!"

Subrovich stared at him intently and said furiously: "Do you know what you are saying now? Kuristlejic, don't forget that you are a soldier! We have no choice. Even if the end of this war is doomed, we have to fight!

If we don't get a decent result, then Serbia is finished! It's really over!

We don't have the same opportunities as we did in 1886. The Bulgarians have made a move on us, and Austria-Hungary is eyeing us!

How long do you think Serbia can exist if we cannot show our determination and show them our courage? Would you like to see, once again, the Great Serbia fall?"

Kuristlejic is silent. Politically, it's beyond him!

When the 19th century came, the Great Powers competed to expand worldwide, and by now, the world had been divided up almost to the point where Austria-Hungary expanded into the Balkans, not for a day or two!

Although still allies now, judging by the position of the Austro-Hungarians in this Bulgarian-Serbian War, they want a weakened Serbia!

It should be known that there have always been people in Austria-Hungary, who advocate the annexation of Serbia, and once Serbia shows a hint of weakness, these people will pounce on them like hungry wolves!

By now, the Serbs were obliged to fight, both in the Niš region and in Belgrade, and they had to fight the Bulgarians!

But Subrovich did not say that the battle with the Bulgarians in Belgrade, which stretched the logistical supply lines of the Bulgarians, could also increase the chances of victory by a few points!

And as long as Austria-Hungary doesn't want Bulgaria to get big, it's likely to intervene!

It was clearly more in his personal interest to fight this war with Bulgaria in the Niš region! Although there is still no way to win this war, under the circumstances of the total defeat of the country, but if he wins this battle, he will be the hero of Serbia!

Subrovich is ready to accept the defeat of Serbia, and by now, he is not expecting to win this!

That is why it is no longer important to preserve the strength, rather than being the traitor's reputation, to bet on that vain luck. It is better to do everything possible to win the battle. You can fish for more political capital!

Kuristlejic was convinced that the idea behind the situation was not interested him! The problem now is still generally clear to him, and Serbia has paid too high a price.

Subrovich is right about one thing if they are not seen to be determined to protect their country, there is no guarantee that they will not be partitioned out!

...

Ivan Christov, on the other side, asked with a sigh, "How are the casualties among the troops? How long before reinforcements can reach the battlefield?"

The chief of staff did not answer directly and said in a low tone, "The situation is very bad, the Serbs have gone crazy, if we fight like this, even if we win, it's not worth anything!"

Dante Crhistov: "Yes! In terms of our national interest, it would be in their best interest to stop the war immediately now and preserve our strength!

From the point of view of their personal interests, they all have to fight on! Neither the Serbian government in Belgrade, far away nor Subrovich, near at hand, dare offer peace talks!"

The chief of staff said ruthlessly, "Since they want to fight, let's make it happen for them! In one day, we have paid more than 8,000 casualties. They have paid at least 40,000 to 50,000. Let's see who can outlast who?

Anyway, this afternoon, our reinforcements disembarked from the train at Mount Mijur and are on their way over, and in another hour or two, the first batch of reinforcements will arrive!"

Dante Christov lit a cigarette, took a deep breath, and said, "Let's just do it! Follow the original plan, let go of an opening before dawn and give them the final blow!"

...

Popov's stalemate on the Niš front created a chance to leave two regiments to pillage the southern bank of the Great Morava River while the main force crossed the river directly to Belgrade!

Aleksandar I was anxious. The Serbian government was worried! The worst thing still happened, at the start of the Battle of Niš, Subrovich could no longer afford to divide his troops!

The top of the Serbian government has now become full of people who are at the mercy of the people!

In theory, Belgrade still had three new divisions, plus the Royal Army, with a strength of over 60,000 men, perfectly capable of fighting a war!

Actually, all three new divisions, consisting entirely of old and sick people, from 50 to 60 years old, down to 15 or 16 years old, are the main components of this army!

Moreover, there is only a simple formation training. The guns are not equipped. One can imagine the combat power!

The Royal Army is just a showpiece. It sounds impressive! If they had real fighting power, Aleksandar I's father, King Milan, would not have been thrown off the throne!

The whole army is more than 1,000 people, it's enough to set up a ceremonial guard, but there is no need to hold too much hope for a battle or anything!

Looking at the worsening situation, the Prime Minister gritted his teeth and said, "Your Majesty, it has come to this point, we can no longer fight on our own, let's ask for help from Austria-Hungary!"

1