Death of a friend
1k 3 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Ryoto's pov)

I knew this day would come, but I hoped it would be further in the future.

I was currently in the living world together with the whole family. It wasn't the first time my children were in the living world. They visited uncle Isamu a few times before, but... these days are over.

Isamu... has died. He wasn't killed or anything like that. Old age caught up to him, that's all. He also won't come to Soul Society. If the Soul is too strong during his life, then after its death, it won't come to Soul Society, but its Reishi will be absorbed into the world around it.

During the whole ceremony, everyone was quiet, and it went smoothly. I held Yukima's hand the entire time, and all my children behaved and didn't talk at all the whole time. I'm not even sure if they understand what happened to Isamu.

After it ended, we returned home. I will be busy tomorrow doing some cleaning, but Masaru, who was holding Rin's hand, spoke up, surprising me.

"We are not going to see uncle Isamu anymore, are we?"

I noticed that he squeezed Rin's hand in frustration.

It looks like I need to have a talk with my children.

---

The first thing I did after returning was gathering my children in the living room.

"Kids, as Masaru has said before, uncle Isamu has left us, and you or I won't be able to see him anymore. It happens to everyone, but as Isamu was a human, even though he was a Quincy, he couldn't live as long as we can."

I spoke very gently and tried to choose my words carefully. It's not an easy topic to talk about.

"Dad... have you ever lost anyone before?" Akio asked with tears in the corner of his eyes.

I nodded.

"Aren't you sad?"

"Of course I am. Every time I lose someone. It never gets easy, but that's also part of life. People die, and sometimes it's out of our control, but the time we spend with these people and the memories they left behind will never disappear, and no one will be able to take it away from you.
That's also why I try to cherish the time I spend with people as much as I can."

I pulled all three of them into a hug.

"Also, remember, crying isn't a sign of weakness. You can cry if you want, whether you are happy or sad. Never be ashamed of your tears."

As if it was the sign they were waiting for, they all started crying as I hugged them.

They cried for a long time before they went to sleep in my arms. I put them to their beds and kissed their foreheads, and exited their rooms.

Soon after, I talked with Rin, Yoruichi, and Isane and left the house to the very familiar hill with a grave on it. In my hand, I was holding a Quincy cross, the first cross Isamu ever used. He left it with me.

I decided to bury it next to the old grave in a small container. I also protected it with some Kido, so that I would be notified if anyone ever tried to steal it. So from now on, there are two graves on that hill.

Both of us were never drinkers, but I thought it was an appropriate moment to pour sake down on his grave. Then I poured the drink for myself as well.

"Consider it our last drink together, Isamu. It was great being your friend, goodbye."

That evening I shed a tear first time in many years. First time since I killed Koro-sensei.

Once again, I was reminded how fleeting one's life can be.

"Do you have a place for three more?"

I heard a familiar voice from behind me, and I didn't need to turn around to know who it was.

"Sure, you're welcome to take a seat anywhere on the ground." I answered.

"Who is looking after the children?"

All three of my lovers came to check up on me.

"I asked Komamura to look after them. They are asleep, so there shouldn't be any troubles with them." Rin answered me.

"I see..."

They sat down nearby me, and no one said a word. We didn't need to. I understood that they just wanted to be there for me, and they understood that I needed some time to mourn Isamu's death.

I shared the drink that I had brought with the girls, and as I was about to leave, I turned to the grave one last time to look at it.

I'll keep my end of the promise Isamu. I won't let anyone destroy the peace that we created.

(Masaru's pov)

A year has passed since uncle Isamu died. It's sad that he won't go to Soul Society, and I want to cry because of it, but I need to be strong because I'm the oldest brother. I also know that dad is hurt the most. I could feel it. I don't know how or why, but sometimes I feel what others feel or plan to do. It's strange, and I don't have it under control. It happens randomly.

Today I'm going together with Yukima and Akio outside Sereitei for the first time alone.

Dad and mom were very worried about letting us go, but Yoruichi-kaasan convinced them, saying that we were strong enough to defend ourselves from the everyday bandits and other troubles.

I don't want to sound confident, but since we got our Zanpakutos a few months ago, we have made significant progress in our training. We even started learning Kido, although just a few easy ones.

Now the question is where to go. As always, Yukima and Akio were arguing, but I knew that deep down, they cared about each other, but I still try to be a middleman as much as possible.

"I'm telling you, it's best to go somewhere where we didn't go before! What's the point of visiting a place we already know!?" Yukima presented her argument.

"It's because we know that nothing dangerous is going to happen there. If we come across trouble, dad won't let us go alone anymore. Do you want that!?" Akio responded.

"How about we go somewhere close to the place we know, but at the same, it would be a new place, so we would be exploring a new area but within the safe zone."

They agreed with me, but I feel it's only because they don't want the other person's option.

---

END

Discord server: https://discord.gg/HB2DweuG4J

45