Volume 2 Chapter 27: An Arduous Quest for the Brave
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Traveling above the vast lands and waters of the East in the world, the Eve Kingdom was flying with the cool breeze as its speed was slow and steady, enough to capture everything around them. The sails were lowered and folded properly, and as the ship was moving, it was under the long line of white cloud and the tip of the mast was barely touching it. The dangerous heat of the sunlight was blocked by the fair cloud above them, keeping them safe and comfortable with the cool and warm temperatures.

The crew members of the Eve Kingdom were on the deck, and peace and quiet were the atmospheres, coming from them. 

Eve was sleeping on the forecastle deck comfortably as the deck was cool and the strength of the light was good enough to not distract her eyes for her to relax and sleep deeply. She was sleeping with a satisfied smile, facing the cloud above. For Sparrow, the babysitter of Eve, he was standing before her, staring at what's in front of the ship with an emotionless face as always. He was just doing his job and it seemed he was not carrying his sword, gifted by Captain Hedrick, as it was impossible for him to hold it anywhere or place it somewhere around his body. But there was something new to his clothes as there were full of patches and stitches because the boys didn't buy their necessities. So they only had one attire for their journey.

While both of them were at peace, Mana was on the main deck, sitting on a chair with her working table. She was working with her stuff as there were so many things on the table. She seemed very focus on what she was doing and concentration was needed. But for Book, he was just watching Mana working because he had a role given to him.

When Mana was holding a wire with rubber gloves and staring at it, she slowly laid her hand on the table and felt nothing from her hand. She looked troubled and checked beneath her hand. Her sense of touch was right as there was nothing, so she asked her assistant, "Book, could you go to my room and bring me the toolbox? I forgot the wire cutter inside it."

Book quickly ran to the fixed captain's room and replied hastily, "On it!", as his back was shown, there was a patch on his butt cheek.

When he entered the room of Eve and Mana, he observed the place. He started looking from the left to the right. The toolbox was under the bed, beside the leg of it. It was visible for anyone to see it from afar. Book saw the toolbox and went passed through the right. He was squinting his eyes to spot carefully the toolbox and was whispering to remind him, "Tool... Tool... Tool... Toolbox."

After finishing on observing the room, he decided, "Alright, let's start with the cabinet.", and walked towards the cabinet. He clearly knew what a box was, but he completely didn't know what a tool was. Hence, he had no memories of a toolbox.

"...", minutes had passed by, and Mana was patient enough as she was still working with her own stuff, but now, it was with different items. Then Book came with a huge size and amount of Mana's clothes, containing her shirts, bras, panties, shorts, pants, and socks, around his arms. He was also carrying various items such as combs, bottles of cream, skincare, shampoo, conditioner, oil, sunblock, and more. His whole upper body was literally covered by the size of everything, he was carrying. But between his legs was the toolbox, Mana asked for.

Some clothes and items were dropping on their own while Book was walking towards Mana. When he approached her, her table was shadowed by something tall. She looked at her side and saw what she possessed. Her jaw slowly dropped from what she was seeing. Book told her, "Sorry! I don't know what a toolbox is, so I brought anything I could see. Have I got what you wanted?"

"Yeah...", she replied and slowly went her hand at the lower body of Book. She took the toolbox out from his legs and ordered him, "Just make sure to return everything back to where they belong."

"Of course!", he answered and went back to the room to return them all.

"..."

After quite a time, Eve's stomach grumbled and woke up from her slumber. She still looked tired and sleepy, and she stretched her arms and upper body. She opened and closed her mouth multiple times to wet the dry areas around her mouth. Then she smiled and said, "What a nice nap... Hey, Sparrow. Let's go and eat something. I'm hungry.", as she looked at him.

"Sure..."

She stood up and walked towards the main cabin to eat while Sparrow followed behind her back. When both of them were walking to the main cabin, a white dove landed on Sparrow's head with a scroll under its talons. He completely ignored the bird and went inside the cabin with Eve.

Back to Book and Mana, Book finished his previous job and was already observing Mana working. He was enjoying what he was seeing and Mana just shouted  out in the blue, "It's finally done!"

She retracted the whole wire into the disc and he asked curiously as he didn't know what just happened, "What's done?"

"The electric wire that I have been working on.", she replied as she removed her rubber gloves and placed them on the table then she showed the disc to him.

"Ooohhh... That's good."

"Yep, and I will make more of it later but let's take a break for a while.", she walked away from him. Then she was reminded of something and was able to tell him, "Book, clean up the table first before you're free to go."

"Alright!"

Mana walked to her room to take a rest from her work while Book was placing all of the things on the table in the bag. He was picking any items he saw and put them inside the bag peacefully as he was alone on the deck. Then a loud, angry shout of Mana destroyed the silence, "BOOOOOOOOOOOK!!!"

The shout came inside the captain's room, and Book casually looked at the third-floor and said calmly, "Yes?..."

"THEY'RE ALL MESSY!!!"

A wire flew towards his forehead and got stuck on it.

Mana was on the deck of the third-floor, beside the taffrails, with an angry face. She continued her anger, "YOU DIDN'T PLACE THEM PROPERLY, YOU- Oh, wrong disc..."

She realized that the disc she used was a different one as she looked at it. But when she looked at Book again, she was puzzled as there was nothing happening to him, "Huh? The electric wire isn't working?"

While as for Book, he was curious about the wire on his forehead, "What is Mana's wire doing here?" 

He decided to hold the wire and tried to pull it out, but it was really stuck and impossible, "What the?",  as he said in confusion.

While Book was struggling to pull the wire out with all he could, Mana became curious about her electric wire that she was figuring things out with the disc, "Huh, everything looks fine and working but Book isn't electrocuted and paralyzed right now. Is there a problem with the source?", and rotated it to see the other side of the disc, "Hmmmmm..."

She completely had no idea why the electric wire was not electrocuting Book even the disc was working well, so she casually held the wire with no protection and got electrocuted. The muscles of her body contracted, making the grip of her hand tightened. She was stuck to hold the wire while screaming in pain. While so, Book had enough and let the wire be on his forehead, "Well, might as well fini-" 

Before he continued his words, the disc immediately retracted its wire and pulled Book towards Mana. When Book was pulled, he shouted in fright, "AAAAAAHHHHH!!!", and his screams continued while being pulled. 

His frightened face hit the chest of Mana, and when the disc retracted the whole wire, she stopped holding the wire and getting electrocuted, but the force that pushed her was strong that she flew to the wall and hit her back. She kneeled down and wrapped her arms around her waist, gasping for air as she was having difficulty in breathing, and placed her head on the floor. For Book, he walked backward like a drunkard as he was feeling dizzy. The wire was still stuck on his forehead as the disc was on it, too, but there were some cracks from the disc that malfunctioned the source that generated more electric flow, making Book surrounded by moving electricities around his body. But he seemed fine with it as he was not acting differently. When he regained proper consciousness, he saw Mana in pain, so he approached her to help, "Mana, are you okay?"

Before he could touch her, Mana finally was able to breathe properly as the pain was fading away and stood up immediately with a fist. She shouted, "Don't touch meee!!!"

She punched his face and sent him to fly towards the taffrails. He flipped over and he fell down to the second-floor while screaming. But after she punched him, she felt a shock from her hand that she immediately pulled her arm back, "Ah! Fuck!", and shouted quickly.

"..."

Inside the main cabin, Eve and Sparrow were eating so many foods on plates on the table. She was enjoying the food while laughing at him because of the bird was poking his head, "That's hilarious! Ahahaha- Auck! Euke!", and she started choking from her food and grabbed her throat. Because of this dangerous situation, this was probably the first time Sparrow widened his eyes to their fullest and felt great worry and panic that he moved over the table to save Eve. 

The bird flew away from the commotion.

He went behind her back and held his fist. He placed his fist on her waist and began doing abdominal thrusts. He kept doing it properly, and she finally spat the food out and had her airway cleared. 

After saving her, she started coughing and it was a good sign that the eyes of Sparrow went back to its original form and he sighed his deepest relief.

"Here, drink some water...", he said as the bird went back on his head and started poking again.

Eve took the glass of water and drank it all. After that, she felt relief and refreshed, "Ahhhhh...", then gave him a thumbs up and expressed happily, "Nice job, Sparrow!"

Sparrow slowly shook his head left and right, "Do-don't do that ever again... Laughing while eating..."

"Don't worry, I learned my lesson!", and gave him a smile, "Hihi!"

Then a loud thud was made above them and Eve had to look at the ceiling and asked, "What was that?"

"..."

Above the main cabin, the loud thud came from Book as he landed his back on the second-floor deck. He laid down in pain while Mana rushed to the taffrails and looked down from the third-floor, "Sorry, Book! I had to do it because you are literally surrounded by electricity and I don't know how that's possible!"

"Yeeeee...", he replied softly.

After the commotion, Mana rushed to Book with a pair of rubber gloves equipped for safety precautions. Both of them were squatting on the floor but before she removed the disc from his forehead, she asked curiously, "Hey, Book, how are you not feeling the electricity?"

"I don't know."

"Are you made up of rubber or what?"

"I'm pretty sure I am not.", he answered surely.

Mana squinted her eyes in doubt, "Hmmmmm...", and pulled his nose towards herself. Book felt the pain, "Ow, ow, ow!", and she stopped pulling and told herself, "I am afraid my stupidity will be the cause of my death soon."

Mana tried to pull his nose to check if it would stretch like any rubber would, but it didn't and she felt stupid for doing that because no humans were made of rubber.

"See, I told you that I'm not made up of rubber.", he proved to her as he was touching his nose to ease the pain.

"But you're literally surrounded by sparks of electricity! How are you not feeling anything?! And where does it even stay? Inside of you?!", she said in surprise.

Book looked his arms and around his body, and asked curiously, "Wait? I'm supposed to feel something?"

"YES!!!", she shouted in disbelief.

"Huh, this reminds me of Airis' thingys that came out from her."

"Magic? No, this is science. Magic was officially declared extinct twenty years ago in a way that no one could already obtain it from birth and pass it to their offspring anymore. Don't you watch the news?"

"No... But how did Airis and Polly still have this Magic, you speak of?"

Mana pulled the disc out, and the electricities were gone around Book. Then she used the glove as a bag for the disc and placed the gloves in her bag. She answered, "That means, they are the last generation of Magic users. The scientists made a study about the extinction of Magic and the results were that all of the Magic users from the previous generation had lost their Magic completely and the last generation Magic users were already losing Magic. Their most accepted case for the reason of extinction was that Magic doesn't belong to human anatomy and deemed to exit from the exosphere. Our bodies just couldn't contain Magic anymore and that's why Magic is slowly expelling itself... We're just filled with holes."

"Weird, shouldn't Magic be extinct when no one has it anymore?"

"Heh, the scientists told us on television that the moment Magic was collapsing, that was the time of their extinction because there is no knowing when Magic would finally be gone, so they just declared it extinct even there are still people with Magic."

"So... Airis and Polly will soon never use Magic ever again?"

 "Yeah, but Polly will likely lose her Magic first then followed by Airis, probably a couple of years. Because Polly is losing more Magic than Airis. That's why Polly is weaker when it comes to using Magic and Airis is stronger. So Polly has bigger holes while Airis has smaller holes."

"That's too bad for Polly...", Book was saddened by it.

"Ahhh, don't worry. Polly is very strong even without using Magic. She's like stronger than both of us combined.", Mana placed a cooling bandaid on the bridge of his nose to ease the pain from the punch she did.

"Hmmmm... How come you know a lot about Airis and Polly?", he was curious about it.

"Oh that?", she stood up and continued, "I was raised by Airis' parents secretly and became their adoptive child. I grew up with them together, us three in the castle. Well, I grew up with my sister, Airis, first then with Polly, my close friend. Then I became a troublemaker by tricking people and got my first bounty of fifty thousand Xeyen with the name, "Trickster". After my father knows my bounty that reached eighteen million Xeyen, he tried to erase my criminal records, but it was too late as the wanted posters have spread around.", then she laughed softly, "Hihihi... You should have seen my father's face when he saw my bounty..."

Mana reminisced the past as she felt nostalgic from saying such words. When she was a young girl, she had done a lot of mischievous things that used trickery towards people especially done at night. Simple tricks that included: putting spiders in the shoes, cutting holes of the pants or shorts around the genitals area, turning on and off of the kingdom's power supply multiple times, and more. Her favorite trick was to demolish a house silently in day to make it seemed disappeared and the owner would go home late at night. So when the owner came in front of the house, tired and sleepy, he shouted in shock, "WHERE IS MY HOUSE?!?"

Those tricks made her laugh as they were so hilarious for her. She enjoyed doing it so she kept doing it but those acts were against the laws, so the soldiers tried to find her. When the soldiers couldn't capture her because of her tricks that made it difficult, they had to make a bounty of her. Starting with fifty thousand Xeyen and with the nickname, "Trickster", and because of her bounty, the wanted posters spread around the area of the kingdom. When she grew up to a fine, young woman, her bounty reached eighteen million Xeyen that the higher ranking soldiers had to inform the king and queen.

Inside the entrance hall of the castle, the soldier waited for the king and queen to inform them about something important. When they arrived to listen to his words, he spoke.

"My king and queen, thank you for accepting my request to listen to my words."

"Go on.", Xarthus said.

"I have discussed this with the rest of our fellow soldiers about the dangerous criminal, "Trickster" in our kingdom."

"Trickster?", he asked curiously as he never heard of it.

"Yes, my king. We have discovered one of her items that uses a wire for her to swing from one place to another.", he gave him the disc as a piece of evidence and continued, "With the length of the wire, it is possible for her to reach the castle's wall and infiltrate inside. My king and queen, I ask you, on behalf of your soldiers to protect you and everyone in the castle, to increase the guards."

"Trickster, huh?", he was curious about the person's being.

"I am very sorry for you to worry about such problems, but we can abolish it if we add guards in your home."

"Hmmmm... May I see her wanted poster?"

"For I am prepared, here it is, my king."

He gave the wanted poster to Xarthus, and Xarthus said, "Let's see, let's see..."

He looked at the face of the criminal and immediately, his eyes were wide opened from utter shock, "My... My... Child... Eig-eight... Million...", he whispered to the point that the soldier didn't hear it.

Eyerine took a look and smiled happily, "Woah, she looks beautiful and cool."

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!!"

"I know, my king."

Xarthus held his collar and shouted at his face, "NOOO!!! That's not what I mean! Remove all of this now! I don't want this to see this!"

The soldier was confused, "Eh? But why?"

There, Xarthus realized and thought critically, This is bad, they don't know anything about Mana... My poor child..., then he asked, "How long has the Trickster been with a bounty?"

Before the soldier could continue, "Since-", Eyerine interrupted, "Since she was eight years old. She got her first bounty of fifty thousand Xeyen."

Xarthus quickly moved his head at her with squinted eyes, "You knew about this?", and she just smiled at him, "Of course."

"Papa! Mama!", Mana called as she was on the stairs of the second floor.

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!", Xarthus yelled in panic and shock. He pushed the soldier hurriedly towards the door and continued, "Okay! You may now go! There's nothing for you to do here!!!"

"But, my king, how about our request?"

"Hi, Trickster!", Eyerine answered her call and that blew Xarthus' mind, "WAAAAAAAAAAAAALALALALAAAA!!! YOU HEARD NOTHING!!"

"Trickster?...", the soldier was baffled when Eyerine called someone with that name.

"NOOO, there's no Mana here! OH SHIT! I MEAN TRICKSTER HERE!", he kept on pushing him while the soldier was sliding towards the door. The soldier calmly asked one more time, "So, what about the request?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah! Just leave! We're busy for the moment." when both of them were on the doorstep, he continued, "Thanks for coming and have a good day!"

Then the door closed and behind the door was Xarthus sliding against it, trying to calm himself down as he was breathing heavily. There, Mana laughed while walking down to the first floor. She clearly knew what happened as her mother called her by the nickname. When she approached her, she asked, "Papa knows now?"

"Ehehe, yes.", and the mother and daughter laughed together while Xarthus was about to have a heart attack. He brought tears around his eyes and shouted in worry, "You monsters! Why was I the only one who didn't know about it!"

He ran towards Mana and discussed as he held her shoulders, "Ahh! This is bad! We should stop making your wanted posters and lessen the guards here!"

"We can do that, but you just accepted the soldier's request to increase the guards, dear", Eyerine reminded him.

"NOOOOO!!! What should we do about that?!", he panicked as he held his head and Mana answered, "I can live outside the castle. I can take care of myself already."

"That's a great idea, Mana.", Eyerine was happy to hear it and Xarthus was still worried, "But what if you were captured? You'd be sent to the Crusader!... If that happens, we will go to war against them!"

"Don't worry, dear. Our daughter is skilled in escaping. I've watched her since she started doing it. That's why she's named as Trickster. Isn't that cool?"

Xarthus squinted at Eyerine as how many things she knew that he didn't and she answered without any questions, "Mother knows best."

"And what does that make me as the father?!"

Eyerine shrugged and Mana tried to calm him, "Pa, it's fine. I'm kinda experienced in it already. It's impossible for anyone to capture me."

He sniffed and asked quietly, "Really?"

"Yep. So don't worry anymore."

He smiled as his worry faded and continued, "Then we will build a castle for you to live."

"Too huge. I prefer a small building."

"Alright, we will do anything for that small building, you prefer."

"Thanks, pa."

"...", Back to the present, another white dove landed on Book's head and he asked, "Huh? What's this?", as he stood up.

Mana wanted to know and looked at him, "Ohh... A quest."

"Quest?"

"Yeah.", she walked towards him and took the scroll from the bird's talon then continued, "Some rich guy wants us to do some dangerous work and if it succeeded, we will receive a lot of money or any rewards."

"Ohhh... So what's the quest?"

Mana opened the scroll and read what's on it, "Only for the brave, we offer you an arduous quest for a reward of one million Xeyen and an invitation to a luxurious party in the evening. Only for the first place. The reward for the second place is only the invitation to the party, and nothing for the third place and so forth. The quest is for anyone or any party to bring the egg of the last dragon first."

"EGG OF A DRAGON?!", Book burst in surprise and excitement and continued, "Let's join, let's join! I want the egg! Egg! EGG!!!" 

Then suddenly, the bird flew away as soon as Book said, "Let's join."

Mana wasn't sure why he was exhilarating, but she continued, "More details will be informed during the announcement in the garden of the Cathedral of Sertifica."

"We're in, right?", Book's excitement was visible and Mana answered, "We already did when you said you joined. The bird heard it and flew away."

"Yeeeeesssss!!!"

"But we can't."

"Nooooooooo!!!", he was saddened and continued, "Why?"

"It's because we don't have a map. I forgot to buy it and since the bird, our only hope to go to the Cathedral of Sertifica, flew away, so we might decline the quest."

Book showed his puppy eyes and a sad face, "B-b-but... Egg..."

"Sorry, Book. I don't know where the place is and I bet Sparrow doesn't care to know where it is, either.", and Mana walked away. 

"Awww... I want egg...", he whispered sadly while looking on the floor.

Then Eve and Sparrow just came out from the cabin as they ate a lot of food. Both of them were really stuffed as Eve was patting her satisfied stomach, filled with food. They walked towards the second-floor to check the loud thud. 

"What's up, guys! What happened?", Eve greeted them and Book looked at her depressed. He saw the two of them and replied softly, "Oh.. Hi...", and looked down on the floor again. There, he realized with a surprised face, "BIRD!!!"

He ran towards Sparrow and jumped to get the bird. He held the bird on its neck and it released a short choking sound. He then rushed to Mana and show her the bird, which was continuously choking. 

"We got a bird!"

"Huh, you're right... Then we can go there.", she carefully took the bird from his hand and laid its feet on her forearm.

"Woooooooooh!!!", he celebrated as he circled with arms raised up. Eve looked at them confused, "Huh? Go where?"

Book ran at her and answered immediately, "To get an egg of a dragon!!!", and Eve felt excited, "Egg?! Dragon?!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Isn't that cool? A dragon's egg?"

While Eve and Book were discussing the dragon's egg, Mana tried to comfort the bird as the bird got angry for getting choked, "Yeah, yeah, we're sorry. Could you help me go to the Cathedral of Sertifica?"

The bird started deciding while lowering its eyes at her, but she told, "We will do anything for you if you bring us there."

The bird slowly moved its head towards Sparrow and grinned pervertedly as blood flowed down from its nose. It nodded quickly at Mana and she was happy, "That's great! Let's go the helm and locate me to where the Cathedral is."

The bird understood what she said and flew to the helm of the ship. It landed on the topmost part of the handle, then she walked down to the main deck and to the helm on the forecastle deck. As she held left and right handles with both of her hands, the bird hopped next to the handle of its right. Mana was told by the bird's action and turned the wheel slowly to her right. The bird hopped and hopped on the handle until it hopped on the very top of the handle of the wheel. That was the sign for her to stop and let the ship head straight towards their destination, the Cathedral of Sertifica.

"Alright! We're going there!"

1