Chapter 5 – What’s Going On!?
86 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thud!

Congratulations! You have assisted one person, and the quest Helping Others has been updated.
Congratulations! You have shown excessive prowess with a sword and gained the ability Sword Mastery.
Congratulations! You have shown excessive prowess with your body and gained the ability Martial Arts.
Physical training has slightly recovered your weakened attributes.
Congratulations! You have won against the player Percival in a duel.
??? approves of the training session.

I guess beatings also count as help for the right people.

Novus brought his knuckles to his chin as he sat atop Percival’s tragic figure. Around them, the translucent sphere drew back in as it vanished above Novus’ head and signalled the end of the duel.

Groan.

“You’re welcome.”

Novus chuckled to himself as he continued to analyze in his head.

I think I understand it now. It’s all disconnected.

Novus closed his eyes as he felt the aches and pains that threatened to overwhelm his senses. His body was crying out in weakness from too much physical strain.

Novus pushed past the pain as he felt the connections in his mind forming and disappearing all over his body. His mind was weak, likely from the strain of pushing his senses to the limit in avoiding Percival’s terrible spearmanship.

At this point, Novus was already struggling to accomplish even a simple aspect check-up. But, he pushed on as he tried to navigate his mind’s senses towards his soul.

Tch.

Novus clicked his tongue as his senses combed over where he felt his soul reside. However, it was like wading through a dense fog as his own mind failed him.

Something is blocking my senses. Either that or I’m too weak to sense my soul right now.

Novus’ expression eased as he reopened his eyes and contemplated himself.

At least my memories seem untouched.

Novus readjusted his sitting posture as his brows furrowed again.

What a terrible triad of aspects. My body is worse than a rusted gnomish machine, and my mind feels weaker than a newborn faerie. I can’t even tell if my soul is whole or not.

??? defends its efforts to provide a suitable vessel.

“You did a shit job. Do better.”

??? stomps its foot.

Novus put his hand to his forehead as he tried to calm himself from arguing with a god-like child.

It’s like they tried putting together three different ingredients into one pan and just hoped it would make a good meal. Do they not know the basics of the aspects? You’ve got to alter them so that all the aspects form one complete whole more remarkable than their separate parts.

??? says to embrace the challenge.

Novus shook his head at the god’s shamelessness.

“Could have at least provided me with some ways of growing them. Only after that can I even think of linking my aspects now.”

The mystery god sending Novus messages didn’t respond. Instead, Solace’s voice travelled directly into Novus’ mind.

《 Strengthening methods requested… Methods found. 》

Solace’s mechanical voice continued as Novus looked at the sky like a bored kid stuck inside a classroom.

《 Solution one: the increase of levels provides redeemable points to strengthen the three core aspects. 》

《 Solution two: unique training methods exist that can slowly strengthen the three core aspects. 》

《 Solution three: elixirs of natural and artificial forms exist to provide permanent enhancements to the three core aspects. 》

“Stop. Stop. Just stop.”

The adrenaline rushing through Novus’ system finally settled as a deep unwillingness to continue crept up on him. Finally, tiredness convinced him to go and think no further.

Novus got off Percival and laid down beside him.

“I don’t want any of this. No more struggling for power. There’s no reason for it.”

Immortality without power. Who knew it’d be so dull?

Novus laid down as the nearby Percival finally felt strength returning to his body. Enough to squeak out a response.

“You’re wrong.”

Novus gazed over to Percival with rapidly dulling eyes. He didn’t respond aloud, but his thoughts intrusively guided him. That was simply his questioning nature.

Solace, am I like them? A player?

Solace didn’t have an opportunity to respond before more questions overloaded Novus’ head again and made it hurt.

Wouldn’t I be closer to what Percival called an NPC? How does Percival know so much about the system anyway? Where does he get his knowledge? Was it you? Are you in their heads too? Controlling them? Controlling me?

Suddenly, Novus’ thoughts cleared away, but one question remained.

Solace, what are you?

Solace didn’t reply. Or perhaps, it wasn’t allowed to reply.

??? says you’ll find out with time.

Tch.

“Damned Divine.”

 


 

Avalan’s Chief, simply nicknamed The Chief, held a frown on his face. The frown didn’t leave until he reached out and took a sip of his Blue Beetle Tea.

Sigh.

“So much to do and never enough time.”

The Chief wafted the soft aroma of the tea to calm his nerves. It helped as he leaned back in his chair and looked towards his second-floor window.

“I suppose a little light wouldn’t hurt.”

The Chief walked over to the curtained window and made two motions. One motion drew back the light-blocking curtain. The other motion brought the mug to his mouth.

Shatter!

The cup painted ‘Best Chief Ever’ shattered against the ground.

The Chief’s eyes shook as he saw the figure of a burly man getting his head chopped off. A mother ran with her daughter away from a man with blood turning into glittering lights. The man continued to punch another man while the decapitated body vanished into glittering lights. Finally, the lights entered the church, where the priest and his town guards aggressively threw out people the next moment.

“MASIKA!!!”

The shout shook the walls of the building as The Chief heaved in heavy breaths.

Creak.

Like a gazelle before a lion, The Chief’s office door opened inch by inch. Then, a woman fumbling papers was seemingly pushed inside all at once.

Papers flew everywhere in the office.

“Sir! I’m so sorry! I’ll clean this up straight away!”

The raven-black hair danced on her shoulders as the woman’s meek eyes focused on picking up papers.

Sigh!

An aggressive exhale caused the woman to look up and adjust her glasses to the top of her nose.

“Sir?”

The Chief’s fierce eyes made the meek woman flinch as he aggressively moved the glasses from her nose to the top of her head. He looked on for a moment as he saw the expected transformation.

The woman’s slouched back straightened with confidence. Her shaking legs stood straight as she loomed above The Chief’s short stature. Her eyes now locked dead with his as the glasses atop her head seemed more like a crown.

Slam!

The papers in Masika’s hands were aggressively stacked on The Chief’s desk as the woman twirled the desk chair and sat in it. Then, she placed her feet on the desk with a light thud.

“Hey, old man. Thanks for letting me out. What’s up?”

The throbbing vein on The Chief’s head only grew with each moment as his lovely assistant started to pick the dirt underneath her nails.

“WHAT IS GOING ON OUT THERE?”

The shout made the woman’s eyes return to The Chief.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah. The Divine’s Chosen have arrived ahead of schedule. So inconvenient. Someone should do something about it.”

The woman returned to removing the dirt under her nails. Then, with one graceful flick, the dirt sailed across the room and landed on the shattered remains of The Chief’s prized cup.

The Chief had to avert his eyes as he did everything in his control not to tackle Masika immediately. He was about to speak when she continued her explanation.

“Miss Edna warned us they would be coming soon. Did your old brain forget that part? I know your cultivation got crippled, but I didn’t think it impacted your mind.”

The Chief could barely hold in the flooding emotions of anger that told him to do everything and anything to the woman before him.

“Should I contact Miss Edna?”

Suddenly, all the emotions mixing in The Chief sunk.

“NO!”

Masika raised her eyebrow at precisely the right time.

Cough, cough.

“I mean, no. That won’t be necessary. Simply resolve the square incident. We can’t have these divine beings running rampant when they clearly abide by different rules. I trust you’ll handle anything else.”

Masika chuckled as she held her hand up and out in a mock salute.

“Aye, Captain.”

Despite agreeing, Masika made no further movement from the chair.

Flick!

The fingernail dirt flew over the desk and landed on The Chief’s freshly waxed shoe.

Like a gunshot signalling a race, The Chief and Masika burst into motion simultaneously. One raced to push the glasses to Masika’s nose, the other evaded fast hands.

“See you later, old man!”

Slam!

The door slammed shut as The Chief slumped into his chair.

Huff.

The Chief slowly opened a bottom drawer with a hidden key and took out a bottle of swirling rainbow liquid. He pulled out an emergency cup, filled it to around half, and was about to seal the bottle.

“FORM UP, RASCALS! WE’VE GOT WORK TO DO!”

An inner turmoil shook The Chief as the yell passed through the walls. The Chief took a swig of the bottle before downing the cup all in one go.

Sigh.

“I’ve got to find a new assistant.”

2