Chapter 59 – Preparation
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“OUT!”

Shatter!

Novus shattered the illustrious windowpane featuring the Light God as he was forced from the church. Thankfully, the window was right above Novus’ favourite fountain.

Splash!

From beneath the water, Novus emerged and punched the brick that had previously ignited his self-destructive frenzy.

Crack!

Novus’ shock briefly stopped his immense frustration as he noticed the fountain brick splinter under his strength. Novus was somehow soothed, and the colourful words he was about to toss through the window were sheathed back into his mouth.

The nerve of that woman…

It was hard to tell if Novus thought about Edna or Avalan's Priest. Regardless, Novus stepped out of the fountain with drenched clothes as his furrowed, mountainous brows eased back and reviewed the loss of weakened attributes.

At least I'm not losing experience towards levels anymore. The weakened attributes aren't much better, though.

Whew.

“They’ll be back, Novus. They’ll be back.”

Novus walked along the streets to calm himself and eventually stood before Circe and Goibhniu’s house. However, Novus didn’t dare enter.

“No entry. Disturbing equals death.”

Novus read the sign on the front door aloud and noticed the thickness of the ‘=’ part of the door, like it had been drawn over multiple times. Novus didn’t dare test the sign’s claim.

There goes getting some good equipment to help me climb the mountain.

Novus sighed as he thought of the only other place that might have decent equipment. It didn’t have to be the quality of his previous Etched Villager’s Sword. It just had to last a climb on a mountain.

Eventually, Novus weaved through the streets and headed to the auction house he had walked past many days ago: The Starlight Auction.

 


 

Plop!

With his butt squirmed against the chair’s back, Novus flipped through the various items listed in the convenient auction system interface.

“Hmmm. Good deal. Oh, there too. The auction has a surprising amount of decent deals.”

Novus laughed inwardly at the players who knew nothing of the value of the items they were practically giving away.

These foolish players could ruin the market prices on the mainland like this.

Thankfully, the Starlight Auction was the only auction on Avalan and, as Novus soon found out, across the many beginner islands that spanned this part of the world. All it took was reading the brochure at the front desk.

They would ensure that the prices found here couldn’t disturb any existing systems, at least, not if it didn’t benefit them. As the unchallenged number one of auction houses across Angrea, they could easily take control at any point. However, from here on Avalan, only the beginner island’s various goods were available to Novus if he wanted anything teleported in straight away.

There were such reasonable prices that Novus debated selling the sword Edna had given him.

 

Soul Training Sword

A sword capable of naturally training soul power through basic channelling and sword use. It is commonly made and used by necromancers, mystics, and other professions of the soul.

Rank: High Iron

Effect 1: The soul's power can be channelled to the sword’s blade for an increase in damage, defence piercing, increased durability, and a durability repair effect.

Effect 2: Provides a slight gain in soul power-related skill proficiency.

Durability: 86%

 

Ultimately, Novus decided against selling it. It would be hard to find a sword capable of training his soul power and with as much durability as the current sword. Novus fiddled further with the system’s auction interface as he ordered new equipment. Previous battles, or through Edna, had already destroyed his last equipment, and he needed another set. Novus quickly found a matching set. Then, after ordering many other price-worthy items, Novus’ coin was utterly depleted.

Bting!

A bell resounded in the lobby surrounded by players, but oddly enough, Novus was the only one that responded to the sound. Novus ran to the counter and was surprised by the person there.

Doppelganger King and Starlight Auction Owner, Bartholomew James.

He was dressed in neat attire as he offered a hand to Novus.

“Here you are, sir. Your ordered items.”

Novus dazedly took the man’s hand and found a system message appear in the corner of his vision.

Bartholomew James Doppelganger #1982735 wishes to give you multiple items: Snakeskin Gloves x1, Snakeskin Boots x1….
Do you accept the items?

“I accept.”

The snakeskin equipment set wasn’t anything imposing, likely player-made, which wasn’t anything to boast about at this point in their careers. But, it was enough to give Novus an extra degree of confidence with whatever challenges he would meet with climbing up the mountain.

So it was one of his many doppelgangers. Leave it to Bartholomew to already be stretching his hands into a new source of income.

“Thank you for your patronage.”

The doppelganger had a broad smile as he awaited Novus before suddenly dividing into another replica that served another customer simultaneously.

The sight would be odd for any unsuspecting player, but Novus was familiar with Bartholomew’s duplicating doppelgangers. It reminded him of a past life event where he saw one of Bartholomew’s doppelgangers duplicate at an entire banquet of important guests, only so he could form karmic ties with each of them.

“I would like to store items today as well.”

“Of course, it’s a complimentary service for any auction member. Would you like to open an account?”

“Yes.”

After equipping all his items, storing the items he didn’t immediately need, and ensuring he hadn’t forgotten anything, Novus contently left the Starlight Auction.

 


 

Slash!

With a strike exceeding what the blood raccoon could follow, Novus tore a wound through the creature’s hide.

Squeal!

Then, with a finalizing strike through the skull, Novus’ sword barely managed to kill the last of the battling blood raccoons.

Huff. Huff. Huff.

As his breath heaved in and out, Novus dug his fist into the ground.

This is harder than I remember.

Novus was currently undergoing tempering training like the storybook heroes who chose to seal their powerful skills to refine their weaker skills further. Novus was aware of the positive outcome of this tempering as his body gradually refined his swordsmanship and control. However, understanding the tempering training’s effects didn’t mean he had to like the process.

“Couldn’t I at least use my aura?”

While Novus was complaining in a relaxed tone, he was inwardly tensed. His eyes subtly shifted to the brush of a few forest trees, and he sensed the trailing presence disappear and reappear further away.

Sigh.

If you’re going to track me, at least let me attack you every once in a while.

Crunch…

The sound was further away, but Novus’ iron-ranked body managed to sense it. Novus’ face let out a smirk as he hopped to his feet and proceeded deeper into the forest. It didn’t take long to notice several other presences appearing near him.

Suddenly, a piercing arrow launched straight towards Novus’ head.

Ptang!

The black hue on Novus’ quickly drawn sword shook as he narrowly parried the arrow and lodged it deep into the ground. However, a slight scratch lined his face. Evidently, Novus’ swordsmanship had yet to fully blossom, even with iron-rank body attributes.

“How!?”

A shocked voice echoed out from behind the tree cover above Novus. A few more arrows were quickly fired but were met with equally useless fates as the arrows dug into dirt instead of flesh.

Quickly finding the origin of the shots, Novus looked at the young girl with a simple wooden bow and deep, luscious tree-green hair and eyes.

“Bonnie, what did you expect from the one player our guild leader fears on this island?”

Ack!

A heavy punch pierced through the equally heavy armour of the young man with dirty-blonde hair and toppled him over while he clutched his stomach. Novus vaguely recognized these two players.

A calm, muffled voice from beneath the figure’s mask defended the guild leader’s pride.

“Don’t insult our guild leader; he fears no one.”

Novus recognized this man too. In fact, his image was sharper than the other two players since he was the one to land the fatal strike against Tham.

“Ezekial, be easy on Gawain. If it’s him, I might just accept him as a rival.”

Of course, no image was sharper to Novus than the impression of the rotting hazel eyes and pitch-black hair before him. Dense killing intent pulsated from deep within Novus, which surprised Cain and his group, but even more so Novus. Unfortunately, Novus didn’t have the time to investigate as greetings were in order.

“Hello, Cain.”

Novus’ words prompted the eerie smile to crease Cain’s face.

“Hello, Novus. For a while, I was nervous you had already found a way to leave the island ahead of us.”

Novus chuckled as he shifted his attention to the forest around him.

“No entourage this time?”

Cain’s lashes refused to come together as he fixated on Novus.

“When Ezekial sent word that you were here, my captains and I were the only ones close enough in the area. Though, if you take too long—”

Ptang!

Gawain’s kite shield shifted before Cain as Novus’ interrupting sword strike closed the distance. But, unfortunately for Novus, Gawain wasn’t one of Cain’s elite captains for nothing and blocked the surprise strike.

Novus quickly parried another arrow as a few curly locks of crimson hair came off from Ezekial's darkly glowing dagger. Judging by the dark glow of the dagger, Novus was sure any regular block would be phased through.

Slice!

Gawain winced as a wound opened on his arm, and he activated a yellow hue on his shield that charged toward the counterattacking Novus. Evidently, Gawain somehow managed to get his hand on a mana-related skill.

However, attack skills were only valuable if they hit their target.

Novus dodged low to the ground as he interlocked his feet with Gawain’s feet and felled him like a falling tree towards the arrow flying in the air.

Puchi!

Ack!

“Hey! Friendly Fire!”

Interrupted by Bonnie’s arrow, Gawain uttered an angered shout and was met with her own yell.

“Steady your feet, then!”

Directing his rage into his sword, Gawain scrambled to his feet and plunged his sword towards Novus’ who attempted to get up after dodging another of Ezekial’s sneaking daggers. But, unfortunately, Gawain’s strike wasn’t fated to connect as Novus rolled to the side, then quickly backwards.

Two daggers were pulled out of Novus’ last location as Ezekial appeared out of stealth and glared at Novus. There was a brief lull as Ezekial, Gawain, and Bonnie paused.

Clap. Clap. Clap!

0