[Arc 2] Chapter 25: The Temple Escape
5.9k 37 115
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"HA-HA-HA! To think that ol' Jack would be the one to save us!" - Felton

"Yes, yes, but Felton, why did you end up here?" - Jack

Felton was a dwarfen friend of mine from before I died, and a veteran adventurer even back then. 

"Well, me, and me gang, has started helping the town security guard lately, but when we discovered some suspicious people walking about in the slums, we tried to take care of them, but the tables were turned by some undead-counterfeit made of tar." - Felton

"Ahh, that guy. Some of my allies have seen it as well." - Jack

"Whoa-! They must be some lucky chumps to still be alive. Well, us too, since it knocked us out so effortlessly that it didn't care to finish us off." - Felton

Typical Felton, always the optimist. Not even being kidnapped will make him feel down

"Speakin' of yer allies, are they the one that the missy over there's so... cursingly angry off?" - Felton

"That's the one. One of them, the one that's not looking for our getaway vehicle right now." - Jack

As I talked to Felton, I tried my best not to look at Mira, who was sitting while holding her legs, mumbling stuff like "I'llkillher, I'llkillher, I'llkillher, I'llkillher...", as if reciting some voodoo curse.

She was given a new shirt by some of the female hostages, not that it's enough to calm her down from the spider-bugging Garami did to her. Seeing as the spider turned to dirt after getting squished by Mira, it must have been some sort of kin made by Garami. I've got no other explanation for that, even if I don't know why she did it.

"Hey, boss. Help us out here. We can't let these bone-rags do all the work." - Adventurer A

After getting called by his party members, Felton joined the rest of the barricade group, which consisted of his party, the other hostages that could still fight, and the two Skeletons that Garami had given to us. All that we need to do now, is hold the fort till the elf Carion comes with the Golem wagons. 

But that tar-undead, it managed to fight off an E-rank adventurer party on its own, without letting them fight back? That thing could be even more bad news than we first thought. Garami looks like she could run away from it, but what about Carion? Is he gonna be alright? 

---

Carion's side, a little while ago

"O-okay, see you later then." - Jack

With that, Jack and the gang went inside the temple again, leaving me with the Skeleton Thief, and the Undead Dragon, Levi was it? Anyway, we started to walk towards the stables, located in the south-east part of the temple. 

"So, ehm, how are you today?" - Carion

"......" - Skeleton Thief

"......" - Levi

Okaaay, this is going to be one awkward job. One good thing is that the files Garami found in the office indicates that there are no guard patrols out there by the stables. A little weird, but if it means getting out of this place, then I'm going to swallow my doubts, and go through with it.

---

"......Yeah, I've got no luck tonight." - Carion

As we reached the stables, a hastily built structure made of simple wood poles, we found out why there were no guards assigned here: the stables doubled as a resting ground for the tar undeads! Last time I am going to swallow my doubts alright.

Stupid promises to myself aside, what should we do now? There are three, freaking, maneating, dripping tar undeads there, taking a break over there. Just one of them is bad news, even if the one with lamb-horns that Garami appraised turns out to be exceptionally strong. The worst thing is, mister Lamb-horn is one of those three! Okay, it's official; we're toast.

"You got an idea?" - Carion

The Skeleton Thief only shook his head to my question. Figures. He is only assigned to this team to unlock the wagons, so battle prowess ain't his talent. Why didn't Garami assign some more muscles to this team? I'm glad for being on this team, instead of having to go to the prison area, but this is way above my paygrade.

We could try to sneak around them and steal the wagons without a fight. But then, we would just include the hostages in the eventual battle that is going to happen, when the tar undead notices the theft of the wagons. Oh crap. I'm no thieving specialist. How am I supposed to figure stuff like this out?

*poke, poke*

Just as I was going to call quits, Levi started to poke at my back. When I turned around, she was trying to make some signs, pointing at the tar undeads, then at herself.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot understand you like that." - Carion

Levi didn't like my answer, and started to run towards-! What are you doing?! You can't beat those guys head-!

*ROAAARR!!*

-on...? What? The tar undeads that were hit by Levi's dragon breath started to rotten away into black goop. Even Lamb-horn couldn't defend himself. Levi started to pound the melted mess, like some kid jumping in rain puddles, either for proving that the tar undeads did die, admiring her work or simply for childish amusement.

"Uhm, yeah, good work. Now, try to hold off the guards while we get the wagons. They are probably en route, due to that roar of yours." - Carion

As soon as I mentioned the last part, Levi started to look depressed. Even someone like me could understand that. Who would have known that an Undead Dragon could be so... interesting? Amusing? Strange?

"Oh, and try to destroy those 'turrets' that is on the temple walls while you are at it." - Carion

While still looking down in the dumps, Levi did something like a salutation with her front leg. 

...What an amusing Undead Dragon.

---

Garami's side

LEVI'S OP!!

While I was waiting at the rooftop for the Shadow Guards to leave the office, I saw Levi trashing some guys down by the stables. And those 'guys' were Draugrs! 

One Corrosion Breath and those hunks of tar melted like ice cream in the Sahara! One of them was that #4 from before, who should have over 500 HP. 

Okay, we have two possibilities: 1 is that Raoul's barrier spell is way too effective, and 2 is that the Draugr ain't so tough after all.

Raoul is just a newborn mimic, so I doubt it's the first one. Meaning, the Draugr may be weaker than their corrupted status says that they are. 

"What?! The Draugr was defeated?" - High priest

Oh-oh. Guess the high priest got the news now too. Gotta solve the mystery about the Draugr another time.

"Yes, sir. Some insolent pagans have tried to rob our wagons, and by some mistake, defeated our god's kin." - Cult messenger

"Argh-! Shadow Guards! Go to the stables and kill the thieves!" - High priest

"But sir, what about the prison break?" - Cult messenger

"What prison break?" - High priest

Just bad news for you this night, mister high priest. While the messenger told the high priest about the prison break that was underway, compliments of Mira and the gang, I positioned myself from the rooftop to the open window to the office.

"Grr, then assemble all the cult members in the temple except the Shadow Guards and stop the intruders, AND prisoners!" - High priest

"Sir!" - Cult messenger

After getting his orders, the messenger, alongside the Shadow Guards, went out of the high priest's office. About damn time. I've been hanging outside his window while waiting for this moment. Shadow Guards are too bad of a match-up with me, so defeating 8 of them ain't gonna end up well for me.

After the last Shadow Guard had left the room, I snuck in through the opened window, and into the office. After collapsing on the chair behind his desk, the high priest started to moan in exhaustion with his head in his hands.

"Argh, what a pain in the neck this job turned out to be. We've lost three prototypes, and now we're close to losing the material for the first real one as well. Why did I even agree to work for someone related to that group anyway?" - High priest

*Stab*

"It must have been the worst decision in your life." - Garami

I said that but the poison coated Orimaru hit his heart from behind his chair, so he shouldn't have the time to hear me before he died. The Backstab art worked perfectly, so it wasn't all for my embarrassment. Not that I needed to be behind him at all...

All that is needed now, is to gather all the files in this office, and I'm out. First I gotta web the door shut in case the Shadow Guard decided to return. Okay, what interesting stuff do they have here? Hopefully, something that is equal to the info I got from the guards of the control room. Thanks to them, I think I know what that surprise attack is after all.

Ah, and before I forget; please let this pitiful high priest be reborn as a more decent person, Goddess of life.

... Yes, even someone like me can sympathize with the bad guys.

---

Mira's side

Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill...

"Hey, Missy! We need some help here if you could!" - Felton

Kill, kill..., huh? What are they doing... or right. The barricade. We are waiting for that elf to come with our getaway transport.

"...Fine. What's the problem?" - Mira

"THE TAR UNDEAD!!" 

All of the ones protecting the door shouted out to me at the same time. Did they practice or something?

"......Fine, I'll take care of it." - Mira

"? Didn't you hear them just now? It is the Draugr. The same kind as the one with more than 500 HP, remember? The cult members haven't been able to breach the barricade we put up outside the entrance, but if something like that comes and helps them-" - Jack

"I'm in a bad mood right now, so keep quiet and just watch me flood those guys away." - Mira

"Oookay?" - Jack

This no-good Skeleton! Fine. I'll show him the true worth of a sprite.

"You guys! Make some space!" - Mira

The hostages and summoned Skeletons quickly moved to the sides and the cultists and something that looked like a large Skeleton covered in tar came to sight. So that's the famous Draugr. This guy is the product of those damn thieves that hurt uncle Wayvel...

A few seconds later, and the chant for my water magic was finished. Take this, you damn bastards!

"MASSIVE CREATE WATER!!" - Mira

*SPLAAAAASH!!*

As I promised, a massive amount of water, no different from a real flood, came out of the magic circle and washed away the cultists and the Draugr.

"See that You damn criminals! This is the power of this mistress Mira! Kwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" - Mira

"... Who were the bad guys again?" - Jack

Tch, the useless veteran keeps on talking too much. 

"G-good job there, missy. That flood just now bought us some well needed time." - Felton

"A-awesome. But wasn't Create Water a spell that absorbed the moisture in the air around the caster?" - Hostage A

"Idiot. Massive Create Water is an attack spell that transmutes mana into large amounts of water. Because of that though, the water is no different from poison, so it cannot be used for drinking water." - Magician-looking adventurer

"Aah, I see." - Hostage A

*tap-tap, tap-tap, tap-tap, tap-tap...*

"Uwa!" - Mira

"There's more of them!?" - Hostages

Ugh, they've regrouped already. And the flood water's started to come into the cells too. The Draugr... isn't amongst the cultists. Did it get taken out by the flood? No way it's that weak, right?

"Alrighty, one more Massive-!" - Mira

"T-take cover!" - Cultist 

And behind the corners, they go. Good thing they don't know how much mana this spell costs.

"Get back here, you lousy kidnappers! Come here and get the rinsing of your lives! I'm guaranteeing that it will flush away all the filth on and inside of you guys!" - Mira

"Don't fall for her provocations! We just need to wait here till they are too tired to resist!" - Cultist

Phew, that bought us some more time. The dwarf that looked like the leader of the party gave me a thumbs up, but for how long can we hold this stalemate?

*crk* *CRACK*

"Hey! The wall just-" - Hostage

The prison wall suddenly collapsed into dust. On the other side,

"You guys want to catch a ride?" - Carion

......

"ALL ONBOARD!!" - Felton

With the shout from the dwarf as a signal, all the hostages, adventurers, and Skeletons started to rush towards Carion, who had arrived with 6 wagons, all mounted with a Golem Horse. They are of the size that's capable of holding 10 people in the back, so there should be enough space for the 40 hostages.

Some of the adults took up the place at the driver seat, while, starting with the children, people jumped onto the wagon.

"They are running? Stop them!" - Cultist

"Levi, take it away!" - Mira

As if having waited for the order, the Undead Dragon peeked into the hole that Carion had made and unleashed her most deadly attack.

"Oh crap, it's a dragon!" - Cultist A

"From where did they get that?!" - Cultist B

"Don't just stand there, move out of the-AARGH!" - Cultist C

Uwhaa, that's not something that children should see. Good thing they are already inside the wagons and can't see this.

"Get to the turrets! Shoot them down!" - Cultist D

"Time to move!" - Mira

"We were waiting for you though." - Driver adventurer

He's right. I was the last one to jump on a wagon.

"In that case, start moving!" - Mira

"Okay!" - Driver adventurer

Golem Horses are luckily easy to command, so even an amateur can ride one of these wagons. They are also durable enough to crush the rock pillars that are spread around the temple grounds. The cultists started to chase after us, only to be hit by another dragon breath that Levi shot over her shoulder.

"Argh! Get to the turrets! Shoot them down!" - Cultist D

"It's no good. Some idiot has written some kinda magic rune on them that drowns the turret in poison when you try to use it." - Cultist E

"Aw come on!" - Cultist D

So that's what she did.

"Hey lady. Is the one who did that the one you were so angry about?" - Driver adventurer

"And still am! So what about it?" - Mira

"Well, I thought that instead of trying to get back at whoever did that," the driver said while pointing towards the turret buried in poison,

"It would be smarter to milk some favor from her, rather than to antagonize her." - Driver adventurer

"What?! And why should I... okay, I see you point." - Mira

"Hey, what are those black guys in the over there? They look damn strong." - Hostage

"They are some kind of elite force amongst the cultists. They withstood even Levi's, the dragon's breath." - Carion

Carion shouted that from another wagon to the guy that had asked the question. They withstood even Levi's breath, isn't that a little too sturdy to be true?

"No worries. They can't catch us on foot. We destroyed the remaining wagons when we stole these." - Carion

Phew. Finally some good news here. 

"Hey, missy. Where is that poison spreader anyway?" - Driver adventurer

"She's still at the temple." - Mira

"Eh? Shouldn't we have waited for her?" - Driver adventurer

"I'm able to handle myself, is what she said, and there's something she needed to do at the temple anyway." - Mira

"If you say so." - Driver adventurer

"Hey, I'm worried about that myself, but there's nothing else to do. This place is going to be a bull territory soon." - Mira

"Yes, what did you say!?" - Driver adventurer

The driver looked a little scary, so I revealed the whole plan to him, about how the prison break had doubled as a cover-up so that Garami could lure some BBs to the temple, in hope that they would demolish the place in their charge.

I understand that it's a crazy plan, but what else could we do that little amount of time?

"Missy, don't you guys know about the guy that's traveling with the bulls these days?!" - Driver adventurer

What? Was it a bad plan?

"The Bloodrush Bulls have reached the point of evolving! And one of the flocks in the area is lead by such a bull!" - Driver adventurer

......

"So..., that plan wasn't any good then?" - Mira

---

Meanwhile, at the high priest's office

=====================================================================

Karma Value has fallen.

=====================================================================

What happened? Did someone step on one of the Poison-Globe-charged sigil I had fixed on the gun turrets? I used a whole case of Mana Potions to get enough MP to mark all the turrets that was in the way of the escape plan, so if nobody triggered the trap, then I'm gonna cry. Or I would have, if it wasn't for this hidden treasure room!

The high priest must have been planning to run away from this whole affair with this money, and what an amount of money it is! There are several bags of gold here, probably more than an average citizen will see in their whole life. There are some golden statues and magic items as well, including bags and chests specialized to hold valuables for a low cost. Even those must be worth a fortune.

The room was hidden behind a secret door, that was opened by pulling out a book fromt the bookshelf. Even that experience alone was worht something!

=====================================================================

Karma Value has fallen.

 

Conditions satisfied.

Acquired title [Thief of Criminals]

Through acquiring the title [Thief of Criminals], skill [Detect Treasure LV1] is obtained.

Through acquiring the title [Thief of Criminals], skill [Golden Rule LV1] is obtained.

=====================================================================

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Keep the karma coming, if it keeps on giving me skills and titles! And talk about one that fits me! HA-HA-HA-HA-ha-ha-ha...

Ain't things going too well now? Including this treasure room, I also found evidence of the old goat being involved with this temple, and that he's part of the gang that stole from Mira's uncle. I even got clues on who those guys were, and their current location, except for two of them. Two out of five should be good enough clues to find that thump-thump.

But despite all this, why am I having this bad feeling that something crazy is going to happen soon? The bulls are on their way, yes, but no way they can cross the wasteland that fast, or...? Let's just pack up and leave. It wouldn't be funny if the Shadow Guards, or the Draugr, comes for new orders.

Kigal-Note/Classes/Warrior Classes: Shadow Guard

Class: Shadow Guard

Unlock requirements:

  • Have one of the following classes at LV30 or more:
    • Swordsman
    • Lancer
    • Shield Warrior
    • Hammer Warrior
    • Axe Warrior
  • Have one or more Criminal titles.
  • Have the [Taunting] skill at LV15 or more

Effect:

  • Grants skills related to guarding.
  • Grants resistance skills related to abnormal status conditions.
  • Enhances HP, SP, and VIT stats.
  • +correction to skills related to the class.

The Shadow Guard class is one of the Criminal classes, which requires one or more Criminal titles to obtain.

A Shadow Guard is a type of bodyguard, that is hired to protect VIPs of the underworld.

Shadow Guards are extremely resilient to any type of damage and are also very powerful physically. They do however lose the ability to use magic if they chose this class, but physical Arts get enhanced by the skills given by this class, so magic will not be necessary for them.

The skills granted by the class at each level are as follows:

  1. Covering LV1
  2. Bodily Status Resistance LV1
  3. Mental Status Resistance LV1
  4. Enhanced Arts LV1
  5. Attack Attraction LV1
  6. Battle Continuation LV1
  7. Onslaught LV1
  8. The Grim Guard LV1

The first three skills being accessible at once if Shadow Guard is chosen as the main class, while the last one is impossible to acquire for those that has Shadow Guard as a sub class.

The last skill, [The Grim Guard], is a class-unique skill, that reduces negative aspects of Black-attributed attacks, magics, or skills, like damage and debuffing. It does the opposite for positive aspects, such as healing and enhancing. [The Grim Guard] is also a requirement for the Shadow Guard to evolve into a Grim Guardian, a C rank Undead Lord, who will protect its master for the rest of eternity.

Garami's comment: How are you supposed to beat something that even poison can't kill while being that sturdy?!

115