Chapter 0
58 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a very distant future, the humans have conquered a reasonable part of the universe, and didn’t find any life bigger than a colony of microorganisms. Their domain became so huge that they had to give up the concept of countries, as their territory was simply so relatively small that it just didn’t make sense. So they started to divide their society in solar systems.

The only system worth mentioning right now is Lyuth. It is composed of two planets and a sun, so it is very small compared to other systems. Because of that, many people considered them the weakest system in al universe, and never really paid attention to them. Their planets were called Mortem and Nür, both named in ancient Schkru, the language of a lost society.

Now you ask me: ‘How long will it take for all of this to happen? I mean, you are talking about a lost society that we haven’t even heard about.’ The answer to that is: I don’t know. In fact, not even the people in the future know. It has been so long that they have to use a different counting system for time. The story I'm going to tell you starts in the year of 400X, that I know. I also know that they use X because the number is so long that anyone might take two minutes to recite it. The last thing I know in that matter is that the number before the X is whatever’s before the nth algarism, and I do not know exactly which algarism it is.

Who am I? Well, that’s a question for another time. All you have to know right now is that I`m the one that`ll be narrating most of this story. Now, back to what matters. Some years before the story starts, the Lyuns had found another type of energy, one they named “Time Energy” because it caused disturbances in the temporal field wherever there was too much of it, but they were never able to study it in depth because they didn’t have enough. What they found out was that the Time Energy remnants that reached Nür seemed to come from Mortem, so they became set on reaching that planet.

The only problem with that goal was the “Lightning Fog” that surrounded the planet. It let nothing, except, maybe, for light, come near the planet. Mortem, in ancient Schkru, means Death, and there is a reason for that. This Lightning Fog was the name given to the greenish layer of Mortem’s atmosphere that was supercharged with some kind of energy. Whenever something came close enough, it would be struck by so many lightning bolts that not even ashes would remain, and most of the metallic materials would instantly melt because of the extreme temperature.

Still, the Lyuns managed to create a ship that was capable of withstanding anything weaker than Time Energy, which was, at least among their knowledge at the time, the strongest type of energy that existed. It is at that time that our story begins...


At the year of 400X, the Lyuns managed to land a spaceship on planet Mortem. This feat was intersystemically considered impossible, as the very name of the planet implies. Later that year (or not, it's hard to know if you don't know exactly which year it is), they built a Research Institute there and immediately sent its best scientists so they could start reserching the oddities of that planet. After the 1st Lyun Station of Mortem was built, many others were supposed to come, but that didn't happen. In fact, they spent more than 10 years before trying that again. All because of the simple fact that the building had disppeared.

======05:00:00 before incident======

Head Researcher Sophia Macarthur was discussing her findings with Vice-Head Heather Stuart. What they concluded was that Mortem had a distorted tmeporal field, meaning either the planet was older than they thought or that Mortem was actually a copy of Nür from a distant past, and that the Lightning Fog was actually a temporal containment field, which kept the space-time distortion inside the planet.

======02:05:00 before incident======

The research team was taking a break from trying to build a Time Energy Reader Prototype, as they would call it after it's finished, based on previous research and newly acquired data about Time Energy.

======00:30:45 before incident======

The whole research team begins to study spatial distortions that can happen within the Lighting Fog. A complete Time Energy Reader Prototype was left in Head Researcher's office. A distortion caused it to start transforming Time Energy into electric energy.

======00:05:00 before incident======

Head Researcher Sophia accidentally drops the Time Energy Reader Prototype in water, causing it to short-circuit and start shooting electricity infused with Time Energy everywhere. Anyone within 5 meters was immediately pulverized. The ones within 10 meters were severely injured. Luckily, the base is huge. The ones who survived for long enough to realize what was going on immediately started to run towards the escape pods, including the now Head Researcher Heather. She was the only to enter a pod and close the door before a beam of energy hit the fuel tank of one of the pods, causing a chain reaction. Heather was thrown into the Lightning Fog, the others died either because of the explosion or because they were hit by flying scraps of metal from the pods.

=======00:00:00 before incident======

A last, but extremely intense, burst of energy came forth from the Prototype, melting itself along with the 10 cubic kilometer base. There was nothing left.

0