Chapter 28: A Necessary Power
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared at Jonas’ small frame as he walked away. I was in awe with my best friend. I had never seen this side before. He’s always been fiery but never like this. “Jonas are you ok?” I asked as I slowly approached him.

 

He stopped suddenly and turned to me. What I saw broke my heart. His beautiful pink eyes were now shimmering with tears. I ran to his side immediately and wrapped him into a hug. “Its ok, its ok, please don’t cry”. I tried my best to comfort him. It only made him cry more. In a lose for words I looked towards Hypnos. He shrugged his shoulders also at a lose for what to do next.

 

“I don’t like using my power” he whispered through his cries.

 

My eyes softened at his quiet confession. I tightened our embrace, bringing him closer. We  stood there letting the silence of the room wash over us.

 

“My touch, my very touch can suck the life from someone.” he said suddenly breaking the silence. He pulled away from the hug and stared into my eyes. “It is not a power I enjoy.” He raised his arms and stared at his gloved hands. As more tears slowly filled his eyes I took hold of his hands. “Jonas….Jonas, look at me”

 

His pink irises stared at me almost as if they were blank. The golden flecks were no longer shining but, were dull. “You used your power to protect Cyan”

 

He hung his head allowing his hands to slip from my own. “If only there was another way to have accomplish that” he stated as he shook his head.

 

“Your power may seem unfavorable to you but it is indeed a necessity”

 

Hypnos was trying to console Jonas as well. I smiled at my mates attempt and pulled Jonas into a hug. Suddenly I felt a small hand grip the crease in my arm. I looked down to see Cyan smiling brightly at us. I pulled away from Jonas and knelt down lifting Cyan to my hip. He immediately reached out for Jonas wanting to embrace him.

 

“You want to hug me?” Jonas asked, unsure of what was happening.

 

Cyan just smiled and gave a small nod. I watched as Jonas also extended his arms welcoming Cyan. Although he was unsure of what to do Jonas reciprocated the hug. “Thank You” Cyan whispered as he tighten his grip.

 

Jonas stilled, he gaze went straight to my own in disbelief. After the initial shock a visible change in his demeanor could be seen. His shoulders relaxed as he exhaled slightly. It was like all the tension left his body and he was no longer upset. I gave him a smile as a reassurance and walked over to Hypnos. “I think Cyan’s thank you did more than our words ever could.” I said as I leaned into my mate.

 

Hypnos draped an arm over me pulling me closer into him. We stayed like this watching as Jonas and Cyan hugged. We were soon brought out of our thoughts by thunderous crackling.. Turning to the side we saw Thanatos standing before us. His face was twisted in anger and breathing heavy. His silver eyes darted from place to place. When they finally reached their intended he ran to Jonas’ side and enveloped him into a hug. Cyan trapped between the two didn’t even seem alarmed.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked as he leaned away.

 

Jonas nodded slowly sporting a stunned expression. Thanatos gave a comforting smile to his mate, and whispered an “ok”. He turned towards us and began to scan the room. Suddenly his eyes turned pure white and the air in the room became very heavy.

 

“Wait Thanatos….No I’m ok I promise “ Jonas said as he placed Cyan down. “No!!....whatever you do DO NOT DO THIS!!! He pleaded as he looked towards us for help.

 

Hypnos immediately walked towards his bother and grabbed his face. “Than we’ve talked about this” he said sternly. “He’s my mate and I love him” The death god announced.

 

“No, I know you love him” Hypnos replied. Hypnos’ body tensed as he closed his eyes taking a deep breath. When he opened them again he asked in a serious tone: “Do you remember what you said to me back then?”

 

Thanatos blinked slowly and pinned his gaze towards his brother. “I do…and I still believe it” He said before going silent again.

 

In the mist of silence I watched as Hypnos’ body relaxed. He exhaled slightly and continued. “I promise Jonas is alright” he said as he turned to face us. “As long as I'm here neither he or Christos we come to any harm.”

 

My mate dropped his hands from his brother’s face and sighed. Slowly the pure white eyes of Thanatos began to dim to their original state. The black flecks were now visible again. He stared at his brother giving a nod and said a “thank you”. He turned briskly towards his mate and gave him a smile. “Let’s go home”

 

 

 

 

1