Chapter 1: The Reaper
318 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

scin·til·la

[sinˈtilə]

NOUN

      1. a tiny trace or spark of a specified quality or feeling.

 

I stood at my post at the river Styx and watched as the newly departed soul appeared before me. Charon the boatman gave me a silent gesture acknowledging my presence. He turned around and stepped into his boat heading back across the river.

 

My amethyst eyes watched as the departed soul seemed disoriented. Giving him a small smile of encouragement I reached my hand out.

 

”At the end of your life, your soul takes a journey” He placed his hand into mine. ”Before you reached me that soul was judged.” I dropped his hand after his eyes were now focused. ”Your soul has been judged as rotten and now you will spend eternity here, in hell”

 

The pitch black orbs of the soul widened in disbelief. Panic struck him as his eyes shifted around. He turned his body in different directions determined to find a way out. When he thought he found one he took off. Seeing as this was a normal response I was ready. I raised my scythe slicing it through the air. Immediately a force field surrounded him trapping him inside. He banged on the shield screaming to be released. He just kept saying ” I don't belong here”

 

I raised my arm floating the shield back towards me setting it on the ground. Releasing its power I bound his hands. Stepping closer to the soul my eyes glowed a bright amethyst showing my powers. With anger in my voice, I spoke: ”You belong here, all murders and rapists belong here”

 

I turned him around and pushed him roughly through the archway. Marching him down the alley we passed by many of the old temples. Reaching the gates of hell we were met by Cerberus. His black as night fur shined in the light of the lanterns. The middle head of Cerberus growled at us as the other two sniffed at our presence. The soul trembled in fear as he began to back away. I grabbed a hold of him pushing him forward again.

 

Μείνε ήρεμος” I whisper to the giant hell dog. (Stay Calm)

 

Shifting his eyes from the soul unto me he snorted. I gave a light laugh running my hand over his fur. A rumble left his chest as he nestled his middle head into my side.

 

”You keep treating him like this and I’ll lose my guard dog” A voice echoed.

 

I turn my gaze and watched as the shadowy figure emerged.

”Thanatos” I reply offering a small smile. I bow slightly showing my respect.

 

Πίσω,” Thanatos says as he motions towards Cerberus. (Back)

 

The three-headed dog snorted again and shuffled back to his den. Thanatos took a deep breath inhaling the air. His silver eyes narrowed as they shifted to the soul. Raising his hand he pointed his black painted fingertips.

 

”Your soul is rotten and it shall never leave this place” Thanatos snarled.

 

 He waved his arm turning his back to us. We watched as the gates of hell opened. Inside fires danced across the floor. Screams were heard as the flames licked at their victims. Thanatos whistled and a black flame shot from the gate. It took ahold of the soul pulling him inside. The soul wailed loudly shaking his restraints begging to be released. Soon his screams were silenced as the doors closed.

 

Tapping my scythe on the cobblestone three times it disappeared. I ran my hands down my side straightening my shroud. I bow to Thanatos turning to leave when he laughs.

 

”You’ve been doing this job for ions Christos don't you think it's about time you got used to it!?” he asked as I continue to walk away. Waving as I shout ”Yes, Yes, God of death one day I will”

 

Making my way through the alley I turn off to another corner. I step out into the main pavilion being greeted with other demons and Gods walking about. I take a deep breath releasing it slowly. Deciding that now would be a great time to do some much-needed shopping I headed to the apothecary.

 

Standing in the isle of the rosehip oil I was trying to decide which to get. I sifted through large bottles, short bottles, and round bottles. Suddenly my body jerked forward as I felt a heavy weight on my back.

 

Turning my face to catch a view of the disrespectful entity I see a bright smile.

 

”Jonas, what are you doing?” I asked with a chuckle.

 

My best friend Jonas wrapped his hands around my waist and nuzzled his face into my back. I felt him laugh as he shifted his weight. Leaning to the side his pink eyes met my own.

 

”I'm just greeting the only other sexy muthaclucka (besides myself of course) here in this hell hole” Jonas answered as he grinned brightly. He gave me a wink and pecked me on the cheek.

 

Raising my hand I booped him on the nose. Shaking my head I patted the hands around me. Jonas released his hold on me and walked to stand beside me.

 

”You know, as your best friend it's my duty to always be real with you,” he said. Placing his hands on my shoulders he pulled me into a tight hug. ”And this is real, You are beautiful inside and out, a little scary but beautiful ”

 

I slap his back and watch as his tail curls around and slaps me on the butt. For a half snake half water demon, he really is skilled with his tail. Suddenly I hear my best friend snarl. I crane my neck back to see his eyes trained in a direction. Releasing our hug I turn in that direction to be faced with the one person who makes me weak.

 

Hypnos is the God of sleep and surprisingly enough the brother of Thanatos. The God of sleep is gorgeous with his tan skin and pitch black eyes. His hair cut as you would see in the human world.

 

Our eyes met for just a second before I grew shy and shifted my own. Jonas wrapped his hand around my waist and pulled me closer to him. His eyes were trained on Hypnos as the God walked past us.

 

”I really hate that low budget rip van winkle,” Jonas says scrunching his nose at the God. ”It's such a shame that his hot brother shares the same genes as him” he sighed.

 

”He’s not so bad” I reply biting my lower lip.

 

Jonas turned his pink gaze my way and suddenly yellow specs shone throughout. I knew he was angry but, not at me. I ruffled his hair and gave him a bright smile. Turning to walk away I heard him grumble.

 

”You're only saying that cause you want to suck his-”

 

I jerk around and hold my hand across his mouth. He gives me a muffled laugh as I try my best to shush him. Suddenly I feel something wet hit my palm. I snatch my hand back to see the smirk on Jonas’ face.

 

”You little gecko, you licked me!” I screamed.

 

Walking away from me he hums. ”Only because you won't let me lick you somewhere else”

 

”Ew” left my mouth immediately as I heard Jonas laugh his ass off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

12