Chapter:15 Closer
125 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly the pulling of my body slowed to a stop. Hypnos just stood there with his back towards me. He slowly dropped my hand and stilled. I brought my arm back to my side as I stared at him in confusion.

 

”Hypnos?” I questioned.

 

”Why do you need to see him ?” he asked back.

 

I opened my mouth to speak but closed it again. I took timid steps towards him and spoke.

 

”I only need to ask who’s been doing my job since I've been gone?” I replied.

 

Hypnos turned to face me and stared me in the eyes. He didn't speak he just continued to gaze. I began to feel very embarrassed and subconsciously licked my lips. I notice his eyes dart towards my actions. His pitch-black orbs shone as the golden slivers reflected.

 

”Then we should go quickly I would like to get home before midnight” He replied to me.

 

What was strange though is he never looked me in the eyes when he said it. His gaze remained on my lips which made me feel self-conscious. It led me to lick my lips once more. I guess that broke him out of his trance because he cleared his throat and quickly turned from me.

 

”Come”

 

He motioned for me to follow him as he took his first steps. I did as he asked and kept in step with the sleep God. When we reached the river Styx Charon was standing on his boat talking to someone. The person appeared to be a tall man wearing a black cloak. With his back facing us I couldn't see who he was. When Charon’s eye locked with ours he gave a small bow.

 

Suddenly the man disappeared in a puff of grey smoke. When he departed a faint scent of sandalwood drifted across the air. Charon stepped off the boat and walked towards us. His pure white eyes revealed nothing but emptiness as they gazed at us.

 

”Your honors what may I assist you with?”

 

”I know I haven't been here for a while now but who's been guiding the souls?” I asked the ferryman. 

 

Hypnos seemed to not want to wait for the answer. He walked to Charon’s boat and he began to examine the vessel.

 

”Thanatos himself has been filling in, Sire”

 

”What!” I ask in surprise. ”Thanatos, the God of death, his brother” I pointed to towards Hypnos. ”Filled in for me?” I finished pointing towards myself.

 

Charon swiveled his opaque orbs towards Hypnos then back at me. ”Yes, your honor, the sleep God, your-”

 

”Charon!” Hypnos shouted is a growl.

 

He quickly appeared at our side and stared down the ferryman.

 

”Forgive me, Sire, ” Charon whispered as he bowed slightly.

 

Hypnos turned to face me and spoke. ”Now that you know who has been performing your duty we should leave”

 

Without giving a chance to even ask what just happened he just took off. He walked down the long cobblestone path. When he reached the end he turned to me. The sleep God extended his hand and in a very gentle whisper he mumbled .

 

”Christos”

 

My mind was stunned. It apparently stops working whenever something like this happens. It won't form coherent thoughts nor words that would make me seem somewhat intelligent. I just stood there and gapped at how beautiful Hypnos looked in the dim light from the burning fires dancing across his chiseled features.

 

”You should go, your honor, ”

 

Charon’s words broke me from my daze.”Ah, yes you're right”

 

I broke into a jog to catch up to Hypnos. With hesitation, I reached out my hand and placed it inside of his. He pulled me closer to him and gave me a small smile then released my hand. Hypnos began to walk away again.

 

My hand lingers in the air for only a few. Slowly I draw the hand to my chest. The heat from my hand seems to warm my core. I closed my eyes to allow it to flow through me. My core shook at the familiar feeling, stirring at the tenderness. I took a deep breath and released it slowly. After calming my essence I followed behind.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

”Welcome back Sir” an older gentleman who I assume to be Hypnos’ butler answered the door.

 

”Thank you, Joseph (Morpheus, oneiros), ” Hypnos answered as he walked through the door. ”Joseph this is Christos, he’s my new personal assistant, please provide him with anything he may need.”

 

As I passed by Joseph he bowed towards me and gave me a slight smile. I returned the smile and continued on. We proceeded to walk down a long hall. The walls were strangely empty. There were no pictures or décor anywhere to be found. If Hypnos was going for a  minimalist vibe he was definitely nailing it.

 

”Can you guess?”Hypnos asked out of the blue.

 

” That Joseph is a Oneiroi?” I responded back.

 

”Yes, Morpheus to be exact.”

 

”So you also have a personified dream working as your butler.” I said with a small smile.

 

Hypnos halted in his steps and turned to face me. He walked closer to me and whispered: ”Morpheus or Joseph as he’s known on earth, enters one's dream or nightmares to guide or pass along messages” he said as he stared into my eyes.

 

He released a shallow breath slowly. I felt the warm air hit my lips. Subconsciously I licked them causing my eyes to flicker a bright purple. I felt my heart began to race and my body started to tingle.  Knowing that things were getting out of hand I snapped back to attention. I cleared my voice and turned on my heels.

 

”Are you trying to live a minimalistic life?” I ask pointing to the empty spaces.

 

”I don't see a need for things I cannot form a connection with”

 

Hypnos announced this to me as he walked away. I followed Hypnos as we entered a room just to the right of the corridor. I stood in the middle of a giant bedroom. The center of the room held a king-sized bed. It was made using simple white cotton sheets and a white comforter. Two massive pillows that extended the width of the bed.

 

As I was being amazed at the emptiness of the room and the giant bed, my eyes caught something. Over by the built-in wardrobe, Hypnos stood. He began to take off his suit jacket, then his tie. When he turned to face me he was now unbuttoning his shirt.

 

”Dinner should be ready around 6, I'm going to take a little nap, will you wake me then?” he asked.

 

I promise I was paying attention to every word he said but, the way his fingers danced around those pearl buttons……

 

”Christos?”

 

”Christos?”

 

”Yes!!!...ah Yes, I'm sorry, I will…I will wake you for dinner” I answer quickly.

 

Hypnos pays no mind to my rambling and proceeded to remove his shirt. Tossing the clothing aside he stepped inside the bathroom and closed the door. I heard the shower turn on spraying its fluid. I stood in the center of the room peering at the large area. I wasn't sure what to do at this moment until it hit me, I was IN Hypnos’ bedroom.

 

The place where he sleeps and clearly gets ready is where I was presently standing. Moving towards the bed I traced my fingers along the cool sheets. They stopped at the pillows feeling it's fabric. I smiled at the thought of how cute Hypnos must look while asleep. Suddenly my smile slipped from my lips replace with confusion.

 

”A sleep God that sleeps?” I mumble to myself.

 

Shaking my head at my silly thoughts my eyes catch something. Under the pillow, there was the corner of a picture sticking out. I grab its corner and pull it out slowly. My Amethyst orbs grew in size.

 

”This….this is me” I whisper.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10