Chapter 16: Lake of Shadows
123 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quickly the photo was snatched from my hand. I felt a tap on the back of my head and darkness enveloped me. As all strength left my body I felt weightless. My body like I was being cradled in something very warm; I felt safe.

 

”Sleep” Hypnos whispered.

 

Fates POV

 

Hypnos stood with Christos in his arms and walked to the bed. He laid him down gently, tucking him in. His long tanned fingers brushed a lone strand of hair from the other’s forehead. Hypnos gazed lovingly at the now sleeping reaper. Onyx orbs shined brightly as they traveled over every inch of the beautiful face.

 

With timid fingertips, Hypnos brushed over the long lashes of the reaper as he slept. Hypnos smiled as the lashes fluttered at the disturbance. His touch traveled down the length of the flushed cheek. The exploration stopped at the sculpted jaw and lingered. Christos inhaled deeply with parted lips and exhaled. The sleep God’s eyes snapped towards those pink lips.

 

Hypnos inhaled a sharp breath while licking his own dry lips. He swallowed thickly trying to ease the discomfort. His body began to lean closer stopping a hairsbreadth away. The two deities' lips were barely touching.

 

”Sir?”

 

Hypnos snapped out of his daze and quickly backed away.

 

”Sir?” Morpheus asked again.

 

”I'm going to my study for a while please look after him Morpheus” Hypnos asked as he left the room.

 

The butler stared at the sleeping deity on the bed. He smiled lightly as he approached its side.

 

”Sir, why must you both suffer?” Morpheus asked as he took a seat.

 

Morpheus inhaled deeply and closed his eyes. When he released the breath his eyes shot open and revealed bright turquoise orbs. He whispered three words into the air:

αγάπη, σοφία, αλήθεια (Love, Wisdom, Truth)

 

The Oneiroi became translucent, fading into nothing.

 

Christos POV

 

 The surroundings we're a dull grey filled with barren trees. Eerie fog covered the landscape and all I heard was silence. I stood at the edge of a pitch-black lake when suddenly I saw a ripple in its water. I bent down to get a closer look. I extended my arm and grazed my fingers across the surface.

 

”This is called the lake of shadows”

 

At the sound of a voice, I turned in surprise. I was soon faced with a familiar face.

 

”Morpheus” I whispered. I raised from the lake and walked towards the Oneiroi. ”If you’re here that means this is either a dream or a nightmare”

 

”You will have to decide which this is your honor, I'm only here to speak with you” Morpheus answered.

 

A piercing pain strikes my temple and causing me to double over in pain. Suddenly flashes of images appear before me. They were quick and choppy never giving me a full picture. A smile here a side profile there. I even heard someone whisper something.

 

When the flashes ceased I was able to gather myself again. I focused my sights to find Morpheus staring at me. It was as if he expected what had happened to me.

 

”You touched the lake of shadows, it's abilities seeped into your subconsciousness,” He said as he offered me a handkerchief.

 

I accepted the folded cloth and dotted the sweat from my face. ”What are it's abilities exactly?” I ask.

 

”It breaks the barriers that have been put around someone’s subconscious and allows the shadows of their past to bleed through” 

 

”You mean those shattered images that I saw came from my past?” I ask in slight disbelief. ”No, that can't be, I-I don't remember any of those-those pictures,” I say waving the now damp handkerchief around.

 

Morpheus nods slightly and gives me a small smile. ”You and only you can know what those images mean.” he replied. ”But if you will allow me to assist you maybe I can help”

 

”What do you mean?”

 

The Oneiroi walked towards me and placed his hands on both sides of my head. ”Excuse the boldness your honor”

 

Like lightning, I felt a jolt hit my body. Sounds of breaking glass echoed throughout my senses as I fell. I was free-falling through a cloudless orange and pinkish sky. I soon landed on my feet, confused and disoriented with my surroundings.

 

μωράκι μου (My little baby)”

 

That whisper, I heard it again. My little baby that's what I kept hearing. I turned in circles looking in all directions to find out where it was coming from. It sounded so far away at times and at other times it was right beside me.

 

μωράκι μου”

 

I whirled to my left quickly and to my astonishment, Hypnos stood before me. His smile was so dazzling it stunned. The sleep God was standing with his hand outstretched to me. I opened my mouth to speak, to ask what was going on. My actions we're stopped when I felt my body shiver.

 

I saw myself or another version of me walking to his side. They held hands and the other me smiled at Hypnos.

 

”Hypnos do you think we’ll be ok”

 

”We will always be ok because you will always have me and I will always have you” Hypnos replied and he kissed my other self sweetly on the lips.

 

The vision faded and I began to fall once more. When I woke I was laying on a cushioned mattress. I untangled myself from the sheets and arose.

 

”How is your honor feeling?”

 

I looked up and found Morpheus at the bedside staring at me. He stood with an air of elegance and assurance.

 

”What-What happened?” I asked as I held my head and tried to get out of bed.

 

”I take it you had a dream”

 

I stilled in my motions and searched my memory. There was a feeling of a……. ”Yes!!!”

 

”I did have a dream but it felt more than a dream” I answered. ”It felt like a weird memory.” My eyes shifted from place to place trying to recall the dream. ”I was with Hypnos and he called me his μωράκι μου”

 

”Was that all you saw?” Morpheus inquired.

 

”No,” I said in a confused tone. Immediately the image of a kiss shared between us flashed. Heat spread across my cheeks and down my neck.

 

”I mean yes that was all I saw, I most definitely did not see a kiss!” I screamed as I jumped to my feet and ran to the bathroom and slammed the door.

 

”Well sir if you definitely did not see it then I guess it didn't happen” Morpheus said with a laugh.

 

”What are you talking about Morpheus?” I heard Hypnos ask.

I wonder just how much Christos will admit to. If Hypnos asks him about the dream will he admit the kiss?

8