Chapter 18: Truths
115 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watched as Morpheus opened his mouth just an inch, allowing the mist to flow out. He tapped on the wooden floor twice and then dissolved into the fog.

 

The scenery changed into a cloud-covered forest. The trees we're slightly visible but, with all the fog it was very hard. I looked towards Hypnos and caught his intense gaze. He just stared at me with a smile; without saying a word. He extended his hand to me with a look of expectation.

 

I placed my hand in his as he helped me to my feet. He pulled me close and enveloped me into a hug.

 

”I've waited so long to do this” he whispered.

 

Hypnos pulled back gazing at me with his onyx eyes. His silver flecks glistening through the mist. He grabbed my hand again and tugged me behind him. I couldn't see where we were going so I stayed quiet and trusted him.

 

As we walked through the sparse foliage I heard the forest come alive. Birds chirped loudly; communicating with one another. I heard small animals scurrying across the dense forest floor. As we stepped out into a clearing a small house appeared.

 

We hiked closer to the cottage allowing me to admire it more. When we stopped at its doorstep Hypnos turned to me.

 

”Where are we?” I asked.

 

Hypnos placed his warm palm on my cheek and smiled.

”We’re in the woods of Artemis” he answered. ”And this is our home”

 

My eyes widened at his words, turning to glance at my surroundings. Nothing seemed familiar to me; not a single thing.

 

”What do you mean our home?”

 

Hypnos smiled again not answering my question and instead opened the door. The room was illuminated by the fireplace burning. Two recliners sat before the flame, soaking in its warmth. We stepped further inside to see the whole room.

 

It was much like my home in Seattle. It was filled with touches of me but, it was also filled with the smell of Hypnos. Warm eucalyptus mixed with lemongrass filled my senses. I inhaled a little bit deeper reveling in the scent. I felt myself being tugged towards the sofa. In a daze felt the cushion sink beneath me. Hypnos took the seat next to me.

 

”Here I will answer all of your questions, just, please listen to the end”

 

I give him a short nod as an agreement. Lowering my gaze to our intertwined fingers I smile. Soon the weight of the situation hits me and the smile disappears. I raise my head once more and spoke.

 

”You said that I was your mate then why won't my essence glow and why don't I remember any of this ?” I ask gesturing at the surroundings.

 

He froze for a second his body tensing at my gaze. The sleep God took a deep breath and blew it out slowly.

 

”It’s  true that we are mates, but the reason our essence won't glow is that I- I suppressed them”

 

”You!” I shouted as I pointed at him.

 

He gripped the accusatory finger bringing it his lips. He kissed the tip of it gently and brought it down slowly.

 

”Yes baby, only because I had to. We were happy here, every day we'd spend our days at work and come home here; to each other. We’d sleep in on lazy days and bathe in the sun when the dryads chose to let the sun in. You were my comfort on rainy nights and I was yours in the moonlight.” His tanned fingers caressed my cheek and smiled.

 

 ”That was until Phanes came into our lives. He came across as a friend but, his intentions were anything but.” A frown soon replaced that smile.

 

Hypnos stood up slowly leaned in and kissed me on the forehead. ”One day while I was visiting Thanatos, Phanes came to see you”.  He walked to the fireplace and stared into the flames.

 

”He came under the impression of having you guide a lost soul he’d come across. With you being the sweet person you are you didn't hesitate. He led you to the ice caves but there was no lost soul”

 

I furrowed my brows trying my best to remember. Nothing he said was ringing a bell.

 

”The bastard trapped you inside for hours”

 

I started to tremble at his words. Hypnos turned to face me and saw my actions. He rushed to my side and cradled me against his chest.  

 

A soft hand landed on my head. The gentle touch comforted me as it rubbed my hair. ”When you didn't come home I left to find you. My core ached and glowed brighter with each step I took. When I reached the cave you were in a deep sleep. I ran in, grabbed you, kissing you over and over again. I wanted you to wake but, you wouldn't so I panicked. I picked you up and ran to Hepius’ home.”

 

I felt tears sting my eyes as they pooled at my lashes. Feeling the salty water streamed down my face I touched the drops.

 

”Hepius and his daughter Aceso were amazing doctors. They brought you back to me” Hypnos finished and kissed my head. ”When you woke you were so traumatized that all you could do was hold me. ”

 

My arms wrapped around his back and pulled him flush against me. I buried my face into his chest as I deeply inhaled his scent.

 

”As time passed you were able to tell me what happened. Phanes told you about a prophecy, a prophecy where you bring a child into this world who will be more powerful than either of its parents. Being the asshole he is Phanes kidnapped you to change that prophecy”

 

”He wanted to stop me from having your baby?” I ask in astonishment. I raise my head staring at his black eyes.”Was I pregnant?”

 

Hypnos smiled as he leans in and kissed me softly. ”No my love you were not but, I'm truly glad you said our baby”

 

My cheeks redden causing my body to heat. I dropped my head again and buried it back in his chest. Hypnos chuckled deeply prompting me to feel the rumble.

 

”But given a little more time I have no doubt that you would've been” he chuckled again. 

 

“Hypnos….” I complained with a mumble.

 

”Yes baby?”

 

“Don’t tease!” I grumbled.

 

“Ok, I’ll be good” he said as he kissed my temple.

 

“Phanes wanted to change the parents of the baby, you and him instead of you and me. A child with the power to not only take a life but, also grant it. That would make him or her the God among gods.” His large hands caressed my back slowly. ”He wants to use the child to get rid of Zeus and establish them as the ruler of Olympus. That would give him a stronghold in our world. ”

 

”I’m nothing special but, our child, they would be..amazing” I mumbled.

 

”You, my love with power equivalent to Thanatos but, more potent are indeed something special”

 

I blushed at his words trying to ignore his playful hands. I reached for his wandering digits and pulled them to my chest. ”Why can't I remember any of this?” I implore. “I can only remember the god of life….hurting..” my voice trailed off into a whisper.

 

”You weren't settling well after bringing you home. You were having nightmares and crying all the time. I knew something else had to have happened but you refused to talk to me about it” he sighed lightly and closed his eyes. ”I was worried, so while you slept I asked Morpheus to help. What he saw I understood why you cried.” he sighed once more. ”In order to help you, I took you to the river of unmindfulness. Lethe helped you drink the water as she placed a spell on you.”

 

”The spell of reincarnation ” I gasped loudly.

 

”Yes, you wouldn't reincarnate but you would remember nothing of our past. It was the price I was willing to pay to give you peace. Afterward, I suppressed our cores hoping to help the process.”

 

”I don't think it helped much because I was still very much drawn to you.” I whisper as a blush took hold of me.

 

Hypnos gave a hefty laugh and spoke again. ”It just means we are destined to be together,” he replied with a smile. ”I then gave you one last kiss.” he said as he pecked my lips. ”Promising to watch over you from afar trying my best to never approach you. Looks like I failed” he hung his head and sighed.

 

”I am sorry my love” he whispered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7