The last Archmage
384 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world was shaken, literally, the most powerful earthquake in history was felt across the world, the coastal cities barely had any time to evacuate as tsunamis came rushing towards them. This left emergency relief organizations to scrambling their volunteers to save the survivors. But, little did they know, this tragedy would greatly benefit the world.


My eyes were still closed, not willing to open, I was still in my bed with my body unable to move. That was, until, a big earthquake made me fall comically to the floor (Aftershock) straight on my face. Now I was awake, my face getting the floor for breakfast, I struggled to get up off the the floor, with part of me in pain, part of me wanting to get up, and part of me wanting to make the floor my new bed. Me wanting to get up somehow won, Slowly, I got up from the floor due to the pain. I looked around the room,but, something was different... their were a few things that fell to the floor,  probably from the aftershock.

 

But, that was not it, there was a book on the cabinet next to my bed. This confused me a bit, I didn’t remember bringing a book back home. Did I accidentally steal someone else’s book? Coming out of my thoughts, I looked closer to the book. It looked to be straight from a fantasy novel, it was a bit old and worn, with a green cover and a golden trim, it had an half-orb made of glass in the center, around the orb was a silver circle, in the circle were the four ‘elements’, each with their own circle made of a strange crystal. This was probably the most expensive book in the world! What was it doing in my room!? Wanting to inspect it closer, I picked up the book. Then, all of a sudden, my room started to bend and shift around the book, this was a nope for me and I tried to throw the book towards the wall to stop it, I couldn’t let go. I was panicking, what would happen if the book kept this up? I’ll tell you the answer, the room shattered around me, leaving me standing in an endless abyss of white. But, that wasn’t the strangest part, standing in front of me was an old man, wearing a white robe coming down to his feet, it parted at the top all the way down to his feet with elegant engravings, the old man was what looked like a Kung fu master, with a bald head and a very long drooping white mustache and beard, and based of of my description, you could that he was Asian. Then, out of nowhere he said the words that would change my life forever “get a girlfriend you fucking noob!”, that’s not what he said, but it’s definitely funnier, he actually said this “hello, you my be wondering where you are and why this is happening to you, I’ll answer the first,  you are in your spiritual plane, the second, you must figure that out by yourself. My name is Theo pen’dragon,” well he gets straight to the point “ I am the last Archmage of humanity, I died 20,000 years ago for humanity to continue to prosper and survive, so I am very late to the afterlife, but I must have a replacement, you are that replacement.” Wait did he just say that I’m going to become an Archmage!? Oh HELL YEAH!!! “Unfortunately, I cannot teach you” F**k!! “Personally” oh “ you will have to use this book to learn, it is one one of the most powerful spell books ever written, it is the Archmage legacy.” On the outside, I was frozen, on the inside, their was so much crazy that it’s equal to a worldwide rave party, and the living incarnations of the good olé U.S.A and mother Russia arm wrestling. “ I have altered it to help guide you in the ways of magic, if you do not want this, then I am sorry, you must bear this burden, for the sake of humanity. I wish you luck in your endeavors to become a master Archmage. So farewell, and may I see you in the afterlife” welp... ima go grab Voldemort and make myself Harry Potter.

 

 

 

I was was back I my room, I could hardly believe what was happening, but at the same time it was hard not to, looking down at the now much more valuable book, their were runes glowing along the spine. Curious, I put the book back down on the cabinet and observed the runes, they weren’t glowing anymore. I tried to figure out what this meant, but I didn’t have enough data to come up with something. Looking back down at the book I decided to read it, cause who wouldn’t want to use magic? Picking the book up again, half expecting to be sent back to my ‘spiritual plane’ again, but my worries were for naught as it did nothing, I turned to the first page, but it was all in a strange foreign language, then it flashed a bright light and blinded me for a few seconds. When my eyes recovered, looking back down at the book I could read it like it was my native language, Excited I read the first page, it told me how to ‘unlock’ my mana and chi pool. Don’t really know why I would be learning chi but I’m not complaining. For mana it said that I must look deep inside my mind and break the obstacle, I didn’t know what the obstacle was but it must vary from person to person, for now I would unlock my mana now and my chi later, looking deep inside my mind I was searching for the ‘obstacle’, when I found it was like a wall, I guess my obstacle was a wall. I pushed on the wall with all I got, until some cracks appeared, making me push even harder until it shattered completely, I could feel the mana in my head spreading out through my brain and spine, even though I had a small headache and the mana I had was small I saw this as an absolute victory. But then I realized something, magic has been seen as a fantasy for hundreds of years, what will happen when I’m gonna show them or they find out about it? If I tell them their gonna see me as crazy, if I show them their gonna either A: See me as a monster, B: Be in denial, C: The government comes and dissects me, D: Ask or make me teach them, or my favorite E: Worship me. For now though I’m just gonna keep this as my little secret.

 

And thinking about it my thoughts are a little clearer now, most likely from unlocking my mana pool, and imagine the possibilities of integrating magic into everyday life, hospitals can heal people with fatal injuries almost instantly, world hunger would be history, it might even have some uses in space travel! OK new objective, find a way to teach the world magic without killing myself, good. But what can I teach without knowing anything, back to the book! Looking through the book again I searched for some basic spells, after looking for a while I decided to learn the basic ice, fire, and shield spell first. Satisfied, I put on some clothes and grabbed the book before I realized something... I can’t be earths first Archmage in history without an outfit! OK secondary objective: get cool Archmage outfit. And with that thought the book reacted and the room started to shift and bend like it did before, knowing what was happening, I didn’t overreact like I did last time. But that didn’t stop me from feeling uneasy, then the room shattered bringing me back to my spiritual plane. Only,This time their was no old man just his robe, the robe in question really wasn’t my style, then the void of light spoke to me, kinda, it was in a language even more alien than the words that were written the books pages, but I understood every word, it said ”imagine/realize your robe/flesh” I... didn’t want new ‘flesh’ but then again isn’t what makes clothes technically flesh too? With that said I decided to take the risk, I closed my eyes and imagined a black robe that split apart in the middle all the way down to the bottom with a red trim, with long sleeves and a hood, all black with red trim, I also raised the height of the bottom robe to be just below my knees more like a trench coat, when I was done it looked like a badass battle mage robe. When I opened my eyes I saw that the old mans robe had changed to be an exact replica, with a hood and everything, happy with the design, the voice seemed to sense this and put me back in my room only this time I was wearing my new robe. Exited to practice Magic in my new outfit, I pulled up the hood and couldn’t help but feel like the most bad-ass person in the world. And with that I grabbed my phone headed towards the door, once in the hallway I slid down the railing and to the front door, I stopped a foot from the door, I can’t go out like this I’ll be to suspicious. And with that thought I headed through the hallway and into the kitchen, where I went into my back yard, there was a forest behind my house and would be the perfect place to practice without anyone seeing me. I ran towards the forest, eager to learn my first set of spells. Back when I was a little kid I found an old construction site when exploring the forest, it was probably for a parking lot or something, not really sure why people where building a parking lot in the middle of the forest but I’m not complaining, it offers enough room for me to learn safely without people finding out, once their I decided the I would learn the ice spell first, that way if I set something on fire I could easily put it out, it was a simple snowflake... literally, that was it. Drawing the symbol in the air while pushing my mana through my finger it created a basic glowing snowflake in the air, I suspended it there while I pushed a little mana through, making some small weak ice projectiles fly through the air and frost the grass which it landed in, this made me exited for what would happen when if I pushed more mana into the spell but was interrupted when my book projected something into the air.

 

Basic ice spell mastered

25% increase in mana pool

 

Well that surprised me, I didn’t expect to master it so soon but then again a basic snowflake is pretty easy, and the increase in my mana was definitely noticeable. And now I was even more eager to learn magic, after all reward does promote growth. I moved on to the fire spell, like the ice spell it was a basic flame, I drawn the symbol into the air and pushed a little of my mana through, it created a small fireball half as big as my hand and launched it into a barrel, I noticed it arced when it was in the air and made it a mental note. After the notification I examined the barrel to find that it was blown a foot back with a scorched hole in it, the fireball spell was a little more powerful than I expected. I moved on to the shield spell which was a triangle with a big dot in the center, and once again I drawn the symbol in the air and pushed some mana through, creating an almost clear barrier, but this time it was different, whereas the other spells were uncontrollable when ‘fired’ this spell I could still control it allowing me to turn it into different shapes. The notification made me lose focus but now I had an idea, I drawn the symbol in the air again but this time I used more mana, I shaped and condensed the barrier into an orb the size of my fist, then I shattered it, I was still in control, probably because I was the one that broken it, I then reshaped the shards to resemble daggers with a pointed end, now we were getting somewhere, I then looked for a target, I noticed a concrete wall to the left of me and decided that it would be my target, I decided to try to make a circle using my crystal daggers, yes that’s what I’m calling it, I raised the daggers near my right shoulder and fired, the daggers sliced through the concrete with ease, and made a perfect circle, that was some extreme sharpness and accuracy that my own spell had, and it only used a moderate amount of mana too! I walked up to the concrete wall and pushed the circle in the wall, it fell out on the other side. I could only think of one word, DAMN!!! I was happy with what I accomplished, I learned 3 spells, made my own spell and increased my maximum mana pool by 75%, I decided to learn one more spell for today for a 100% maximum mana pool increase. I decided to learn the lighting spell, looking back through the book I found the basic lighting spell and you guessed it, it was a basic lighting bolt symbol, closing the book, I drawn the symbol in the air and pushed some mana through it, it made a thin stream of lighting and stuck a bucket about 10 feet away, leaving a scorch mark in it’s side, my book gave me another notification before I heard RICK-ROLL!! what a man can have his own ringtone cant he? taking my phone out of my pocket I saw that it was from jack, I answered and heard "Hey man where are you? you remember that were plying ARK today or have you forgotten already?" oh shit! the game, I almost forgot about that! "OH CRAP! I forgot about that! I'll get on soon sorry." ending the call i quickly slid my phone back into my pocket, grabbed the book and sprinted home, even though i'm the most powerful mage in the world now doesn't mean I can't play a couple of games.


 

Meanwhile, on the bridge between realms...

everything was normal, everyday traders between the 9 realms were going by and trading their goods with the other traders. the elven princess snuck out again, she was always fascinated with the fallen realm, she was 240 years old but her looks say otherwise, looking to be in her mid-teens, she had a beutiful face with bright blue eyes, and long golden hair that went to her waist, and small breasts, her name... Was Gaylia. She had heard of the ancient legends of the fallen realm, and how it was destroyed by an ancient evil, she often snuck out at night to inspect and study the the rubble that used to be a bridge to the fallen realm, or by its true name, earth, she didn't know why its inhabitants named their realm after dirt but she didn't really mind. She was walking along the beach, picking up and studying the rubble of this ancient wonder, until her eyes found something... Different, it was rubble yes, but it was glowing, picking it up out of curiosity, she noticed that it vibrated in her hand, until it shot out into the distance and landed, then another glowed and flew over to the same spot, then another and another until she realized something... The bridge is repairing itself, the fallen realm has not really been destroyed, but cut off, this was the most exited Gaylia has ever been in her life! And with that she ran to tell the news to the council of kings.

 

The fallen realm is returning...

7