Chapter 13
171 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'He's too weak, Michi. You're coddling him too much.'

'He's barely two weeks old.'

'Yes, and most baby hares either die or reach level 1 by his age.'

'He's level 15.'

'Because he accidentally ran into a Griffin. And he would've died if it wasn't for that Leaper Mouse.'

Michi sighed. Aris was right. If he didn't let the kid out to have some experience, he'd be dead when the Time came.

'So what do you suggest I do?'

'Put him somewhere else. He needs to grow on his own.'

'He's here for a reason, Aris. The experiment can't go on if he's dead.'

'You can always find a new spirit.'

Michi waved his cane: 'It takes too much mana; I'm limited enough as it is.'

'Oh? Is the Time coming already?'

The fox bared his teeth. 'I've got about two months at best.'

'Hmm. Others will invade then.'

'Hares need eight months to grow into adults.'

'A pity.'

'Can you take him?'

'No. Those three are enough as they are and I fear to leave him with Brutus. And besides, he does not have wings. That in and of itself is...less than spectacular. Can't you go find a kestrel and give him wings?'

'Perhaps...'

As the two discussed their options, a little mouse was peeking out of a nearby hole in the ground, listening to their every word. She didn't understand much, but she knew they were up to something sneaky. Why else would a fox and a falcon keep a hare around?

Nothing made sense, but she was going to try her darned best to figure it out. Her whiskers twitched as she send a light movement coming from her left. She could see a blurry figure hopping closer.

It was one of the baby chicks.

'M-miss Mouse?'

Lima Bean looked over at the chicks. Squinting, she could just about make outs grey, blurry face. It was the smallest of the three, the female. 'Whaddya want? Can't you see I'm trying to spy?'

'O-on M-momma and the F-fox?'

Her voice was too loud! The mouse shushed her and pulled her into the hole. She silenced the chick's protest with a paw to the beak. 'Quiet! They might hear us!'

'O-oh. Are t-they talking a-about B-bo?'

'Yeah.'

'O-oh. Is h-he going t-to be a-alright?'

'Maybe.'

'O-oh. You d-don't know?'

'The fox did some magic on him. He'll be alright.'

'O-oh. Can I-I go s-see him?'

Lime Bean shrugged. 'Knock yourself out. But don't bother him; the fox says he needs plenty of rest.'

'O-oh. O-okay!'

She hopped away, down into the burrow below. Lima Bean went back to listening on the suspicious predators' conversation, only to realize they were right in front of her, staring down.

'Mouse,' the fox said, 'we need to talk.'

1