Chapter 28
73 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Branut Cashew has deemed you [Squirrel Kin]. You have gained [Acquaintance Relationship Status] with this beast.}

{You have gained the title [Squirrel Kin]! +6 Dexterity, +6 Perception, +3 Endurance, +3 Intelligence, +2 Strength. You have gained the Squirrel base skills [Darkvision], [Hunter: Climb], [Language: Squirrel], [Vigilance], [Hunter: Scavenge] and [Bite]. You have gained the Magic Affinity for 'Earth'.}

{Because you have gained two affinities for 'Earth', you have gained the skill [Mana Manipulation: Earth].}

{For being named [Kin] by three different species and having the [Adaptive] trait, you will hereby from now on gain the bodily characteristics from each species that call you [Kin].}

Bo tensed as a surge of power flowed through his body. His muscles grew a bit tighter, his legs were a bit more graceful, his senses a bit better, and his mind a bit sharper.

Smiling, he looked up at Branut. 'I feel so cool now!'

'That's nice,' she murmured, flicking her bushy tail. 'Since you're living with Michi and his falcons, I'm assuming you've become their [Kin]?'

'I haven't become [Falcon Kin], just Fox, Mouse, and Squirrel.'

'Excellent. From what I know of the [Adaptive] trait, you should be able to gain characteristics from each of them, correct? Go ahead and do that now. Then we'll begin your training.'

'Awesome! But, um...how do I do that?'

Branut put her hand to her chin and stared into space. After a long, arduous wait of exactly three seconds, she snapped out of her trance and clicked her claws. 'Try your Status. Maybe there's something there.'

Nodding, Bo summoned his new and improved Status. He had finally gotten around to doing what Lima Bean had told him to do and made his Status easier to read.


Character Sheet

Stats

Abilities

Features (New)


'There's something new!' he told Branut, showing her his Status proudly.

She nodded and told him to check it out.


Features

Fox Options: Longer Tail (Temporary Addition), Canines, Red Fur, Triangular Ears, Big Paws

Lemur Mouse Options: More Sensitive Whiskers (Taken), Padded Feet, Round Ears, Small Body

Ground Squirrel: Sharper Teeth (Taken), Bushy Tail, Black Eyes, Sharp Claws, Cheek Pouch


'Interesting,' Branut mused. She turned and started walking. 'Come to my lair and I'll help you choose which Characteristics to take.'

'Okay!'

She paused for a split second and glanced at him with a surprised expression. 'What?'

Bo paused, too. 'Didn't you say you wanted me to come with you?'

'You know, I could be tricking you,' she said darkly.

'But why would you do that? You're a nice Squirrel!'

She rolled her eyes and said: 'Not all Squirrels are as nice as me, Bo. You will learn this in time. Come.'

Bo was confused. Did she want him to go with her or not? What was she talking about not-nice Squirrels? What did any of this mean? Adults are so weird, he thought. I hope I'm not like that when I grow up.

He shuddered at the thought before he realized Branut was getting pretty far. After a brief hesitation, he decided to follow her. He didn't have much to lose, anyway. She was gonna train him to be a super awesome fighter!


Branut's lair wasn't nearly as nice as the foxhole. She didn't even have any furs! Just some leaves and grass in a pile. He guessed that not everyone could be as fancy as Michi. No other beast had his cool staff.

As Bo sniffed around the lair, he caught the scent of something sweet. He followed the scent to a clump of dirt in the corner. Before he could start digging, Branut pulled him away.

'That's my stash!' she snapped. 'Keep away from any clumps you see in here, alright? It's hard enough keeping it safe from thieving idiots up on the surface. I don't need you causing me any more trouble either!'

Bo cringed and muttered: 'Sorry.'

She grunted. 'It's fine. Now, I want you to choose the permanent version of Longer Tail, Canines, Padded Feet, Big Paws, Sharp Claws, and Cheek Pouch. Once you do, we'll begin.'

Nodding, Bo selected the four choices. Before he could tell Branut that he'd done it and been a good little hare, he passed out.

I'm sorry for the late chapter. I had wonky internet yesterday and I couldn't finish. Then procrastination kept me from completing it earlier.

I know, I know. I should pile up the chapters and then schedule them as I did in the beginning.

It turns out posting two chapters a day leaves you hanging dry and high...

0