Chapter 29
63 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Bo woke up again, he was Changed. He had gained the Features of his [Kin] and now he was even better!

He stood up and stretched before testing out his new body. Walking on the course dirt felt easier with his padded feet which were huge now. And his tail! It wouldn't shoot out when he used [Tal Whip] anymore, but it was still cool!

Now he might actually have a chance at catching it this time...


Branut found the hare lying on the floor of her den, panting. He had his extended tail clutched in his paws and was grinning like a maniac. She sighed and clapped her paws.

'Come on. It's time for your training to start. Come here.'

He eagerly rolled over onto his stomach, pushed himself up, and ran over to her. She feared he might start pawing at her legs like a dog in his excitement but he stood stock still a few inches away, waiting patiently.

He's more obedient than I'd thought he'd be, she mused. That fox is good for something.

Thinking of Michi put a sour taste in her mouth but she pushed her bitterness away and frowned down at Bo. 'What are you doing? Stand up!'

She saw him hesitate before he rose on his hind legs. He barely came up to her stomach he so small! He wobbled a bit before his tail stabilized him.

'Good. Come, let's go to the surface and-no, walk on your hind legs, not on all four!'

Bo's ears twitched in agitation and he frowned. 'I like walking on all fours!'

'Come now, Bo,' she chided. 'You're what, three, no four weeks old? You should be walking properly by now.'

'But-'

'Only the worst fighters walk on all fours.'

He groaned before standing upright again and taking a small step forward. He immediately toppled over. Branut sighed. Had he really not learned to walk? She knew it was a Human thing to do, but spend enough time around Michi and it's bound to become a habit...

Walking was a requirement to evolve into Squirrelfolk, anyway.

Bo struggled for a few more minutes before Branut was fed up and just carried him up to the surface and dropped him on the ground. Giving him a pointed look, she said: 'How can I expect to train you into a perfect warrior if you can't walk?'

'I'll get it right!' he insisted. 'Just let me practice!'

'I'm not sure...'

'Please?'

'Fine. You've got a day to come back to me, walking upright. If you fail...'

Bo stood up as straight as he could, even making his ears stand straight, and gave her a salute. 'I won't let you down, captain!'

'Good. And make sure not to tell anyone we met, alright?'

He gave another salute before turning around and starting off. Branut watched him stumble-walk his way back home. He was so young and small. But already. Michi had him in his influence. Perhaps she should make him stay before it was too late...

Before she could make up her mind, Bo had disappeared. Sighing, she went back into her den. Some nuts should take the stress away...


'Bo, what are you doing?'

'Shush, Lima Bean! I have to concentrate!'

Bo took one tentative step, careful to make sure he stayed balanced before he took another. Lima Bean was watching him while lazing about on a large rock she had dragged over.

Watching his walking performance was equal parts sad and hilarious. On one hand, he was trying his best to get it right. On the other hand, him wiping out was the funniest thing she's seen in a while.

After another minute or two of her trying to cover up her giggles―a hare's ears weren't to be denied and he kept glaring at her before promptly falling over―she gave him a suggestion: 'Why don't you use your tail to help you balance, like when you run?'

'I tried that,' he whined, flopping onto the ground. 'But nothing works!'

'Why do you wanna walk on two legs anyway? You love going on all fours.'

He mumbled his answer as he picked at the dirt. Frowning, she blew the weakest [Wind Gust] she could muster at him. 'What? Look at me and speak up!'

'I...I just want to,' he said, not quite looking her in the eye.

Suspicious. Very suspicious. She pulled herself off of her rock and limped over to him. 'Bo,' she said quietly, 'why do you wanna walk upright?'

His nose twitched in irritation but he still wouldn't look her. 'I just told you!'

'Hmm...' Her eyes drifted over to his tail which was nervously flicking back and forth. It hadn't always been that long, had it? Glancing down, she saw Bo fidgeting with his paws...which were somehow bigger than usual.

Suspicious. Extremely suspicious.

If Bo wouldn't give her answers, she'd have to go find someone who could. Unfortunately, Michi was out, so she had no reasonable way to search for information.

But there was Aris...

'Alright, Bo, I'll leave you to it,' she said, rubbing his furry head. His right leg started tapping fiercely on the ground the longer she pet him and he whined when she pulled away.

'Don't you have some walking to get to?' she teased.

His cheeks turned pink and he squeaked a quiet 'Oh.'

With that, she left to go find Momma Falcon.

0