Chapter 30
81 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aris was worried. Twigs had refused to eat more than a worm again; she was getting incredibly thin as the days went on. No matter what Aris tried to do, she couldn't coax her daughter out of her protective ball for more than a few minutes before she'd curl back up and go back to ignoring the world.

Her brothers hadn't been much of a help as they constantly pestered their mother about flight lessons, ignoring the way Twigs would tense up at the mere mention of flight.

Aris sighed. She almost wished that hare would come around and rouse her daughter up to go on some adventure, even though she was sure he had gotten her in this mess.

But a tiny shard of guilt forced her way into her heart and with it came doubts.

I shouldn't have let her out of the nest to go play. I should've told her earlier about her wings. I should've kept her closer, more secure. I should've-

Uneven footsteps brought her out of her stupor and she looked out over the nest to see Lima Beans. She didn't mind the Leaper Mouse coming around as much as she did the hare; at least the mouse had some respect.

'Mouse,' she greeted warmly, letting one wing hang out of the nest while one was protectively curled around Twigs.

'Aris,' Lima Bean responded. 'I, um, wanted to talk to you about something.'

'Hmm?'

'...It's about Bo.'

The mention of the hare made Twigs stir slightly, which didn't help Aris's mood. Gnashing her beak, Aris snapped down at the mouse: 'What about him?'

To her credit, Lima Bean didn't flinch, but she did take a small step backward. 'I was just...worried he might be getting into something he shouldn't be.'

'How so?'

When Lima Bean explained the situation, Aris couldn't help but smile. So the hare was doing something in secret? Oh, she couldn't wait to tell Michi-

'H-he's trying t-to w-walk?' a small voice asked.

Twigs head pushed out from under her mother's wing and she looked out from over the edge of the nest, down at Lima Bean. 'B-bo's t-trying to walk?'

'Um...yeah.'

'B-but he h-hates w-walking.'

Lima Bean shrugged. 'He's...trying something different, I guess.'

'S-something...d-different...' Twig muttered. She started to retreat in her ball, but Aris pulled her back up and insisted she eats something.

Once she was occupied, Aris shot Lima Bean a glare and said: 'Make sure she keeps away from him, mouse. I don't want her mixed up in any more of his shenanigans.'

'I got it, I got it...But do you have any idea of what's happening?'

'It's simple. Beasts with the [Adaptive] trait gain Features when they become [Kin] with three or more other beasts. He must've gained a third title.'

Lima Bean's eyes widened. 'Did he-'

'He didn't gain the [Falcon Kin] title,' Aris interrupted. 'My boys have been out all day.'

'Oh...oh, no...'

The mouse started mumbling to herself so Aris turned her attention to her daughter...

...Only to find her gone, worms and all.

2