Chapter 26 – Slave Auction Part 3
1.8k 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  The staring contest between Norton and the hooded man continues until finally, the man breaks eye contact, looking down for a moment and to let out a sigh. Seeming to have given up, the man sits back down.

"100 platinum coins going once, going twice, is there any more bids...? SOLD, to the gentleman in room 2." A round of applause accompanies immediately after the auctioneer declares Norton the winner of this bid.

Hearing the applause from the crowd, Norton seems to finally relax and sit back down.

"Nice one, sure shown off your wealth there, haven't you?" I immediately tease, jumping on the opportunity to converse with Norton again once he's relaxed.

"Thank you, I wouldn't have gotten the funds in time if you didn't tell about her unique magic."

"Hmm? How did that help you at all?"

"I only had 60 platinum coins readied with 50 of that coming from the Lockhart family, but with your information, I asked Otes to head back to the family to tell them about Aluria and they agreed to fund me another 50 platinum coins. I hope your information about her unique magic still stands solid though, right?"

"Yeah, I'm certain of it, don't worry."

Following my line, a knock is heard to our room and a maid enters and stops in front of Norton and slightly bows.

"Lord Norton, congratulations on winning the bid, would you like to settle the account right away or wait until the end of the auction?"

It seems the VIP room guests have the perk of being able to receive their slaves right away instead of waiting until the end.

Norton looks over to Otes before receiving a bag of coins from his knight.

"I'll immediately settle the account now, lead the way."

With that, Norton exits the room with the maid, likely to perform the necessary procedures to receive his new slave.

"It's a shame that we couldn't afford Aluria, she seemed to be a great boost if we had her for our party with her abilities."

With Norton gone, I turn to chat with Faris. It's about time I take it seriously again and carefully inspect each of the upcoming slaves after having lunch and watched an entertaining show.

"Yea, but I'm sure we'll find someone else that's suitable master." Faris cheerfully replies.

"I believe so as well, let's put our focus back to screening our potential candidates, be sure to tell me your real thoughts on them."

What a cute nod, it warms me up from the inside from her radiance.

---

We've been carefully looking at each slave and a lot of them stood out in each of their different ways but none were of what I had in mind, what our party needed most right now.

Being so focused on the stage, I didn't even realize Norton had returned until he called out to me.

"Hey, I'm done on my end, any slave catch your eye yet?" Norton speaks as he sits down.

I shake my head and turn to see him already sitting and further behind, I spot the high elf, Aluria, standing at the end of our seats.

"Well, there's still quite a few more until the end I believe, but never knew you were so picky. Aluria, please take a seat." Norton answers me as he turns his gaze toward where mine laid.

A maid quickly brought over another seat and laid it out next to the tomboy from Norton's party. Aluria sits down but glares at Norton, well she doesn't seem too friendly.

"I don't think she likes you much, what'd you do to her? I never knew you were so impatient." I lean over to keep my voice low.

"...I didn't do anything, she just hasn't got used to becoming a slave without having done her full courses and having her pride as a high elf, she'll turn around. I asked her about her unique magic too but she wouldn't talk to me about it and just coldly stared me down." Norton looks to me helplessly.

Seeing him like take after all the fanfare it took to buy Aluria, I quickly turned around to stifle my welling laughter but a chuckle manages to escape from me.

"...Hey, if you can't help me then don't go rubbing salt on my wounds now."

I feign ignorance and focus back onto the stage where the next slave is about to be introduced. I'm starting to see the advantage of having a middle-aged man shaped like a ball being the auctioneer now, it's letting me focus on the slaves and making them all look slim and pretty in contrast to Allen.

"Introducing to you our next slave, Neri Brewfinger, a member of the noble Brewfinger clan from the country of the dwarves!"

The next slave, a petite girl, steps onto the stage with the auctioneer, Allen. With Allen's impressive width, the dwarf appears to be even slimmer but still, I still marvel at the fact that dwarf women look so different to their men, I would've practically thought she was a human little girl if I wasn't told beforehand.

From what I could make out in the distance, the dwarf, Neri, has straight deep blue colored hair the went all the way down to her back. She quietly walked onto the stage, keeping a stoic face and closed her eyes when she stopped moving at the masked people's direction.

"My words are empty without the facts to back them up, let's put up her information on the screen for your examination as we move on to bidding." As if having to hurry along a schedule, Allen cuts the introduction short and sends her off to the inspection as he moves on to the bidding of the previous slave.

 

Neri Brewfinger
Age: 19

Magic Level:

  Strength Lv. 24
  Stamina Lv. 22
  Dexterity Lv. 1
  Fire Lv. 1
  Water Lv.1

Unique Magic:

  Physical Boost

Notes:

  Educated; received dwarven noble training equivalent
  Fighting ability on par with rank 3 adventurers
  ...

 

Seeing the information, I instantly pay more attention to this slave just like all those before who all fit my first and simple criteria of being a strength enhancer. It said her fighting ability is only around rank 3 with those levels so she should be about average but her being knowledgeable is definitely a big boon seeing I still have a lot to learn about this world.

I've been looking for a strength enhancer because that was what our party is currently sorely lacking, a heavy hitter. I'm sure I can dish out big hits now with my explosion thrusts but I'm also the tank and my spear won't do much blunt damage as that is not what it's made for.

With a strength enhancer who is able to deal out decent blunt damage, I'm sure we'll be able to more easily hunt and reach further into the dungeons, with the ability to deal with larger monsters like the big wolves on the fifth floor of Greens Filth.

I signal Faris and we both head over to the inspection room, leaving Norton's group behind. We head down the familiar corridor that we've been strolling along throughout the day and open the set of doors into the inspection room.

Upon entering, there seems to be only two other groups of guest who are keeping to their own group and talking amongst themselves while occasionally looking over to the dwarf slave, Neri, sitting in the middle of the bare room.

We approach up to the rope barrier and give the dwarf another glance over up close. She's quietly sitting there upright without any expression showing on her face. Being much closer now, I can see her violet eyes staring straight ahead as if she pays no attention to anyone in the room and have no care.

She seems to be pretty tall for a dwarf, comparing her to the few I've seen, probably coming up to my upper abdomen but still looking delicate with her slender frame. It gives the feeling of wanting to protect her despite how cold she seems with her stoic expression.

Identify

 

Dwarf Female
Age: 19

Magic Level:

  Strength Lv. 24
  Stamina Lv. 22
  Dexterity Lv. 1
  Fire Lv. 1
  Water Lv.1

Unique Magic:

  Physical Boost
  Sense Location

Here it is, another slave who kept quiet about their unique magic just like Aluria, the high elf. Seeing how they didn't mention anything about her completing the full courses earlier on the notes, I can assume she hasn't and has only fallen into slavery recently.

"She has a unique magic she hasn't told the auction about, sense location. I think she would be a pretty good fit for us, what do you think?" I whisper to Faris.

"Really? That sounds like a utility unique magic that could bring something much more valuable than just fighting strength to the party!" Whispers loudly, to the maximum volume that can still be considered whispering.

"Shhh, don't let anyone overhear you, don't want to create competitors now. Anyway, I take it that your answer is yes?"

"Mhmm, I believe in master's choice." Faris nods exaggeratedly.

Now you're making me feel a little guilty, I've been looking at their skills, sure, but one of my hidden criteria was definitely being a pretty girl. I try to put the guilt behind me by distracting myself by moving the conversation along.

"Is there anything special I should know about dwarves?"

"Hmmm, I think they're just the same as us though you shouldn't make fun of their height, they are stronger physically from their unique magic. Other then that, she should just be like Clarice and her dad."

"Okay, let's try talking to her first."

We turn to face Neri who is still casually sitting there without a care to the people around.

"Hello Neri, I'm an Aster, an adventurer and this is my companion, Faris. Would you be against fighting with us in the dungeons, we are aiming to conquer them of course."

Her expressionless face doesn't change and she slightly looks over at me and Faris who I introduce, I notice her gaze stop at Faris's collar before going back to me and then staring blankly into the space in front of her as if contemplating.

Both Faris and I patiently wait for a few seconds before Neri finally shakes her head. I take that as she doesn't mind? Not much of a talker is she...

Seeing she hasn't talked, I take it she doesn't feel comfortable talking to us so we retreat back to our room in preparation for the next bidding.

"So how was it?" Upon sitting down, Norton quickly asks.

I nod to his question, "I'll be bidding for her if I can afford it."

It's better to keep expectations low before I managed to attain what I want, though from the auction so far, most slaves' price ends up being around three to five platinum coins.

"So you finally decided, don't worry I still have some coins left over, I don't mind lending them to you, with interest of course."

"...oh how KIND of you."

"Haha, being benevolent is one of my greatest traits."

"..."

I'll let you have that one, I'm going to focus on the auction.

"Look master, it's starting." Faris grabs onto my arm to remind me.

I look over the edge of the stage where the two masked staff escorts Neri up onto the stage.

"...feel free to look at the stats being projected on the screen, we will now move on to the bidding for the previous slave shown, the dwarf, Neri Brewfinger!"

Neri mechanically moves to her designated area, showing no emotions at all even with this many people's attention on her.

"Let the bidding start with a starting price of 100 gold coins, minimum increment of 10 gold coins!" The auctioneer says in practiced fashion.

I've been paying attention to the auction for the entire morning so I've gotten the hang of it and proceeds to take the wait and see strategy in the beginning.

"110 gold coins, 120 gold coins, 200 gold coins is there any higher bid?" The auctioneer turns back and forth, scanning for new bids.

I'm surprised someone of his stature is able to keep that up for so long, I would imagine it to be seriously tiring being the auctioneer for so many bids.

"250 gold coins! Is there any higher than 250?"

Eventually, one of the guests from the VIP floor enters the fray.

"260 gold coins, 270 go---, 300 gold coins."

The bidding war starts to die down with only two remaining parties at play, one from the lower gallery, and the one from the VIP room. I guess it's about time I join in on the action.

"400 gold coins!" I declare as loud as I can without shouting.

Although I have no practical auction experience, from what I've seen in the old world, it's a strategy to raise your price by a noticeable amount to demonstrate your determination in winning and to deter others. I wonder if it'll work?

"400 gold coins, I repeat, 400 gold coins, is there any higher offer." Allen, the auctioneer patrol his gaze between the previous two parties who remain in the bidding war. The two parties remain silent and look my way.

"450 gold coins!" At this moment, a woman's voice sounds out from a new VIP room that is just next door to mine, giving me a clear view of the side of her face and her green hair.

Damn, why can't it be that easy?

"500 gold coins!" Not wanting to show weakness, I refuse to falter and increase the bid once again.

"500 gold coins, anyone with a higher offer? Going once, twice!" Now Allen only looks toward the woman in the room beside mine.

The woman seems to be discussing with the other people besides her, waiting until the last second.

"550 gold coins!" The woman's voice resonates throughout the venue.

The crowd's discussion seems to be heating up, enjoying the show though the sense of tension isn't very prevalent ever since the bidding for the high elf.

"600 gold coins!" I must remain steady and instantly shut her down to demonstrate my will.

"600 gold coins, I repeat, 600, is there any higher offer?"

This time the woman seems to be staggered by my quick response, she stands up and looks over my way but one of her companions comes whispering into her ear and calming her. After listening to what her companion had to say, she takes her seat and continue glaring my way.

"Going once, going twice...SOLD for 600 gold coins."

"Master we did it!" Faris is swept up by the auctioneer's mood and excitedly grabs onto me.

"Yeah, I'm going have to rely on you to teach and take care of her from now on though."

"Leave it to me, master."

"Congratulations." Expertly waiting for an opening, Norton congratulates me which prompts his companions to do the same as well.

The wave of congratulations does not stop as immediately after, a knock is heard on our door and the familiar-looking maid once again enters and heads my way.

"Congratulations sir, would you like to settle your accounts now or at the end of the auction."

"Now would be fine, please lead the way."

Seeing that there isn't a reason to wait, I immediately leave with the maid to complete the transaction.

---

Master left.

Seeing the spring in his steps as he follows that maid, I can tell he is looking forward to receiving his new slave and I can't help but feel a little unsettled about it. The thought that master might someday stop paying attention to me or abandoning me when he grows tired of me haunts me.

I've been doing my best to have master like me because I really don't want to leave master's side.

Master has been so kind to me since he bought me even though I'm a slave. I was so scared before that, the other slaves' gossiping, the slave trainers' lessons, all made me prepare for the worst to come.

Thinking back now, I'm really glad I never needed to train in those subjects ever again as they were all in vain. I no longer have to endure sleeping on the cold floor or any of the harsh training to work as a servant. I was told they were all in preparation for how bad some masters treated their slaves and high-quality slaves would be trained to be obedient no matter what.

I'm so glad my master wasn't like that, he didn't even treat me like I was a slave at all, I got to sleep in soft beds, I ate the same food as him, I even received allowance to buy what I want, and his gaze was always so gentle and filled with kindness when he looked at me... Just like dad's... at least before starvation changed him.

I'm not sure if this feeling is love but I'm willing to do anything for master so that he will continue to like me, I want to be able to continue to stay by his side and enjoy his kindness.

I shouldn't be thinking like this, I believe master will stay true to his words and he definitely won't leave me behind.

Instead, I should be looking forward to the arrival of our new party member like master is. Together we will all become stronger, I will become strong enough so that this time I will have the power to protect everything important to me.

This time I will be the protector instead of the protected. I will give it my all, so this time for sure!

---

The maid leads me all the way back to the inspection room at the end of the hallway, then down the staircase to the side of the room which connects to the back of the stage where the auction is currently taking place.

Waiting at the end of the stairs, a middle-aged maid with a familiar looking face is standing at attention with her two hands held together. The maid leading me leaves me with the middle-aged maid with neatly tied up black hair.

I swear I've seen her before but I can't really recall exactly when and where. I stare at her face while standing at the bottom of the flight of stairs.

"Sir, please come this way, everything is prepared to complete the slave contract."

Her voice wakes me from my thought. The lady didn't seem to mind my staring at all, patiently waiting for me the whole time with grace and etiquette that you can tell is ingrained into her being from years of experience.

I nod at her words and follow her.

"Knock knock, I have brought the esteemed guest to finish his transaction." The maid politely knocks and declare our intentions before holding the door for me to enter before following me into the room.

The room is decorated like a living room, with sofas and chairs encircling a tea table. Sitting on one of the chairs is a young man with brown hair dressed like the other merchants. To his side, sitting on one of the sofas is Neri, sitting there with her back straight with the same old expressionless face.

"Greetings sir, please sit." The young man gestures for me to sit on the sofa opposite to Neri and adjacent to him.

"My name is Alfred Witsmore, an apprentice merchant at the Allen company. I will be helping you complete the procedure for your ownership over the slave Neri. If you would please write down your name for me, we can finish this as quickly as possible for you."

The young man that doesn't seem much older than me informs me. He sounds tense, is he new to this? And Allen company? Isn't that the fat slave trader, Allen's company.

I look over to confirm that it is Neri, she blankly stares at me and makes eye contact. I don't think I've heard her voice yet...

"It's Aster Estrea." I write it down on the table in the middle of the three of us and push it towards the young merchant.

Having received my name, Alfred immediately brings out a few pieces of paper and start furiously writing something down while looking between the papers.

"So you work for Allen, the one whos acting as auctioneer right now, right?" I ask as he scribbles away.

"That is correct sir Aster, he happens to be my uncle who has kindly received me as his apprentice." He answers without even looking up, I don't mind but isn't that not of proper manners?

"Hana, please get the tools ready for finishing the slave contract. Sir Aster, if you could please produce the payment equivalent of 600 gold coins." Alfred says after checking over his documents and stamping them with a seal.

That's right, Hana, the same maid I saw at Allen's place when I bought Faris.

I quickly bring out a bag of coins from my space ring and collect six platinum coins from within and places it onto the table.

The middle-aged maid responds to Alfred's words and heads over to a corner of the room and retrieve a tray holding some items on it from one of the cabinets. Being able to make out the items on the tray as Hana approaches, memory of my first slave contract flood into my mind.

"Excuse me sir."

As if to replay that memory for me, Hana naturally brings my left hand atop the tray and quickly pricks my index finger with a needle to draw some of my blood. She then moves on to mix my blood with some purple solution poured from a potion bottle. The mixed solution is immediately poured onto Neri's collar after thorough mixing, Hana accomplishes all this in one practiced movement.

Suddenly, I feel that another point has been added to my mental radar, letting me sense the direction of the two points on my radar. The one pointing straight in front of me must be my new slave, Neri, with the other one being Faris. If I close my eyes and focus, I can tell which one is which as I see two dots of different colors in my mental radar.

"The contract is complete, Neri Brewfinger is now officially your slave sir. These documents here are for you, they are the proof of ownership so please do keep them safe."

"Thank you." I stand up and give my new slave an inspection with my eyes.

"Happy to have you Neri, I'm Aster Estrea,  I'll be your master starting today, I'll try my best to take care of you so feel free to let me know about anything you need." I extend my hand out for a handshake.

Neri blankly looks me in the eye then looks at my hand before standing up and extending out her own hand to give me a handshake with a small nod.

"Master." As if only dawning on her after the handshake, she finally opens her mouth spit out a word in a barely audible volume.

Her blank and innocent eyes work really well with her small stature, making her look so cute despite the stoic expression. It is at this moment that I can confidently say to myself, "I don't regret picking her at all", it was all worth it, carefully going through each of the slaves today with Faris.

"Let's go." Not being able to help myself, I say while petting her on the head.

She's at the perfect height for me to pet her, her hair is so silky and smooth. This might become a habit...

I reluctantly move my hand away once I feel her movements of standing up.

Let's go back Neri, your big sister, Faris, is waiting for us.

14