Part 22 (Unedited) – Regroup
84 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I got back to my domain, I found Cleopatra and Muld already there. We had decided beforehand that we would meet back up in my room for the sake of comfort, though come to think of it, the lounge in the castle would have been just as good as a place to regroup.

"Hey Gem, welcome back! You look like shit!" Cleopatra said with a grin.

Muld at least was nice enough to look concerned and came up to me and my foxes to inspect our wounds.

"Was your unicorn out of energy for healing?" He asked.

"Huh."

"Your unicorn, didn't it use some kind of healing skill in your fight with Viper?"

I groaned as I realized that I had forgotten what was probably my most important skill. Cleopatra nearly fell on the floor laughing as I summoned Avalon and had him heal us all.

Technically I could have healed the foxes myself but it was better to save as much of my spirit power as I could for summoning monsters and customizing my domain.

That reminded me… how much spiritual power did I manage to gather during my semi successful hunting session? It was difficult to precisely quantify just how much I had gained but after concentrating for a few moments I was able to make a rough guess.

I had managed to gain as much spiritual power as I would naturally generate after two, maybe two and a half days? It didn’t sound like much but all I had really done was kill a bunch of weak creatures. I could have easily killed more if I hadn’t been overrun. If I could just reliably find smaller groups of stronger creatures, I bet I could safely get just as much spirit power every single day!

As it was, I would be able to summon another unicorn, and if I could consistently get the same amount of spirit energy every day, that would mean another unicorn every day. To be honest, what I really wanted was to get a different type of creature. 

Don’t get me wrong, the unicorns were super useful creatures thanks to their support abilities, but only in large, flat areas. They would be amazing as cavalry in armies, but not so much when hunting down enemies in forested areas.

Perhaps I could trade for more foxes from Silver, or instead of trade, I could just directly give her the spirit energy to spend on the foxes as I imagined she wouldn’t want more unicorns either considering she would see the same thing that I did, that they are too crippled by their inability to traverse difficult terrain. 

Actually, not even just the foxes, any of the creatures my allies had would be helpful. After the memories I had been getting, I especially wanted a gnoll from Cleopatra.

Just as I was about to ask Cleopatra about giving her some spirit energy in exchange for a gnoll, Silver burst into the room followed by Scale being carried by two hrogons, the lizard creatures he was able to create.

“Gem, healing.” Silver said, though before she had even finished I was already directing Avalon to heal Scale.

“What happened?” Muld asked, his face going pale seeing a long and deep gash on Scales stomach.

“Not sure… he got here just before me.” Silver said, eyes focused on the wound that was slowly being healed by Avalon.

“The other unicorn has a healing skill too, we should use it to increase the speed he heals.” I said.

Silver just shook her head. “He looked even worse a moment ago, other unicorn used last of its power to heal. Was already exhausted from healing me and my foxes before I got here.”

We all fell silent after that, focusing fully on Avalon and Scale, wondering if Avalon would have the energy to fully heal Scale. Slowly, much too slowly, the gash on Scale’s stomach healed, and color returned to his face. He groaned and pulled himself up, getting out of the arms of his creatures.

Stretching as if he had just awoken from a nice nap, he looked around at us. 

“What are you all staring at?” He asked.

“What the hell did you do to yourself!?” Cleopatra asked, walking up and practically shouting in his face.

Scale blinked twice, confused, then his eyes widened as realization lit up his face.

“I fought a dragon!” He exclaimed, smiling like an excited toddler.

“Well okay, not quite a dragon, but like it was sorta a dragon! Or well it was related to dragons. Kinda. Mostly.”

“You fought a dragon. Sort of. Mostly…” I deadpanned, raising an eyebrow.

“Its body trait was Drake, which is honestly just a smaller dragon really, right? Don’t answer that, I know my stuff when it comes to dragons and I’m right-”

Before he could continue, Silver cut him off. “Did you win?”

“Well… not quite… but its injured as hell and we could totally go back right now and defeat it!”

“We can’t risk it. You would have died without healing, and right now both unicorns are exhausted.” I said, shaking my head.

“Can’t you heal, Gem?” Cleopatra asked, seeming to get a little excited at the idea of fighting a drake.

“Well, yes… but I’d rather save my spirit energy for creating monsters.”

“Monsters like unicorns, which do in fact have the ability to heal.” Cleopatra countered.

“...yes.”

“Wait, if there is one drake, wouldn’t that mean there have to be more nearby. I’m no dragon expert or anything but they aren’t solitary like dragons… right?” Muld added in, seeming to have similar feelings to me about going out to fight what was essentially a mini dragon.

“Shit, you’re right. They normally hunt in small groups, kinda like wolves. Come to think of it I am super lucky I only saw one. I seriously should have died, haha!” 

“Something’s seriously wrong with your head.” Silver said with a sigh.

“Isn’t it possible to tame drakes?” Muld said suddenly, and everyone turned to stare at him. 

His eyes widened in horror as he realized what he had just suggested, but Scale seemed to almost explode in excitement as he shouted, “You’re a genius!”

This would definitely become a problem, though tamed drakes would be pretty useful...

I think I might try harder to write at least a little bit every day. Now that the holidays are over, work has slowed down a lot and I even had a chance to write while at work! I got a good third of this chapter done during it and having it already started made it a lot easier to motivate myself to work when I got home. Ill try writing at work again tomorrow and hopefully that will lead to me finishing another chapter and having it posted sometime tomorrow as well!

Oh, I should mention I am actually scheduling this chapter, so instead of just releasing a chapter as soon as a finish it, I want it to come out around when more people would be active (its like 9pm rn my time). So everytime I said "today" or "tomorrow", I actually mean today relative to me lol. So I guess today is actually yesterday and tomorrow is today??? Time is confusing...

Anyways, not much action this chapter but I hope you enjoyed it anyways! I always feel afraid a chapter is too boring when I post one with little action, but I suppose having chapters without a ton of action is to be expected considering chapters are only one thousand words long.

3