Part 15 (Unedited) – Into the Fog
174 11 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I landed a deep cut on the fox’s muzzle as I stabbed at it reflexively. The strength skill my unicorns were using was definitely giving me a good boost as I felt like my speed had increased as well. The boost might not be meant to increase speed directly, but having more force behind your movements would obviously make you a little faster as well.

My unicorns weren’t just watching of course, as Avalon charged forward and rammed the fox through its hind leg with his horn. I quickly stabbed the fox again, putting it out of its misery.

Holy hell, did that just happen? The fight had been nothing like the one I had with Viper. That one had been methodical, almost slow, whereas this one felt like a bundle of instinct, desperate flailing, and adrenaline.

But this had only just been the first fox, and it was much too early to get cocky. I could see silent shapes moving in the fog, and judging by the intent gazes of my unicorns, they were the enemy foxes.

I braced, expecting them to rush me, but instead they seemed to be waiting for something. I didn’t know what it was they were waiting for, but it made me nervous having them so close. To calm myself, I quickly analyzed them.

 

2 Stars - Unbonded

Fox Body - Lesser

Archer Role - Lesser

Silver Affinity - True

 

All three were unbonded, which surprised me just a bit. Had she kept her bonded fox with her, or had the bonded one been the one that attacked me? Sadly, I couldn’t analyze a monster that was already dead.

They slowly approached the door, seeming to get impatient. Perhaps if I rushed them fast enough, I could catch them off guard. I watched and waited, and noticed my unicorns tensing as well, noticing my intention to fight.

When I felt they were close enough, I lunged forwards, but they leaped back and began to cautiously back away again. I was tired of this game of waiting to see who would strike first though and was committed, so with only a bit of clumsiness, I hopped on Avalon’s back with the intent to run the foxes down.

Seeing this, the foxes turned and fled, but I chased after them. They were so close, and my unicorns were slowly gaining on them. But then, without warning, they accelerated and I lost them in the fog.

I immediately had Avalon and my other unicorn slow down, and began to realize I had been baited. My monsters’ heads darted around, trying to keep track of the foxes in the fog, but with the way they constantly swiveled to look in completely different directions, it was obvious the foxes had separated.

Four foxes leaped at my newest unicorn. At the same time, two others jumped out from the fog and started snapping at Avalon, forcing me to keep them at bay while my other unicorn was mauled.

Having an idea, I tried using [Store Monster] on my other unicorn, and thankfully it worked. Though there was a slight feeling of strain, making me believe I was only barely close enough to be able to use the skill on it. Immediately after storing is, I felt some of my magically enhanced strength leave. Dangit, I had forgotten most of my strength was thanks to the support skills of my monsters.

Now with only one unicorn supporting me, and what seemed to be six, please let it only be six, foxes attacking, I was in a bit of a sticky situation. The foxes circled me cautiously. It seemed after after having this much of a numbers advantage, they would still take a threat seriously.

While thinking of what to do next, I noticed Avalon eyeing a point in the distance without moving. So he finally found her, huh? It looked like I still had a chance to pull through.

Would I make it? Probably not. Would I try? Obviously, giving up just didn’t feel like my style.

The foxes were startled as Avalon and I suddenly raced off towards wherever Silver was hiding. The surprise didn’t last long however, as they soon began to pursue me. I already knew they could outrun if they tried, but there was a chance they couldn’t keep up that kind of speed for long. Chances are, I had the stamina advantage here.

Still, I needed to buy at least a little more time and force the foxes to use up extra energy. I guiltily summoned my unicorn I had stored, and made it launch what was basically a suicide attack at the foxes. Sorry little, or well I guess kind of big, guy. I’ll find you a treat after the battle, okay?

The foxes tried to simply avoid it, and for the most part they did, but hooves were terrifying as it turned out, and two were knocked out of the pursuit and forced to deal with my still unnamed monster. This bought me only a few extra seconds to get ahead of the four remaining foxes, but it wasn’t like my field was that large and a horse could cover a lot of ground at full gallop. 

The fog was thinner here and I could finally see more than a few feet in front of me. I followed Avalon’s gaze, looking into the trees and…

“Oh.”

“Hi Gem.”

Sitting in a tree, looking vaguely smug, was Silver. It made a lot of sense to be honest. If I had any way to deal with an opponent at range I likely would have used it on Viper instead of using the much riskier tactic that I was forced to go with. She even had a bunch of rocks bundled in the overcoat of our weird demon lord ‘uniform’, so if I tried to climb up to her I would be pelted with stones.

The icing on the cake of course, was a slightly larger, slightly glossier fox lounging on a branch below her. I didn’t even need to use [Analyze] to know that was her bonded fox.

“This is gonna suck.” I said, not looking forward to what was about to happen.

“Bye Gem.” I could see that smirk you witch, you weren’t even being subtle anymore.

A part of me remember when I mused over what it must feel like to die in one of these battles. The rest of me was shouting. And flailing. And maybe just a bit of undignified screaming.

4