Chapter 17: Middle Management
1.6k 6 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2011

Everglades, Florida

Fort Johnson, S.O.C.C

Four weeks Later

 

(Brock POV)

Returning to the base was... awkward. It seems that in the month I was gone, most of the unit died in Harlem while caught up in a fight between the Hulk and a monstrously mutated Blonsky.

General Ross was stripped of his command and those who survived the battle were systematically transferred to different units. Safe to say the SOCC task force was on its last legs.

"597...598...599...600," Placing the 1000lb weights back on the bench press, I grabbed a nearby towel to wipe my sweaty face, while breathing a little heavily.

Over the four weeks, while waiting for Hydra to decide where they wanted to send me, I used the time to figure out my limits with my new powers in the empty training room.

I found out that while I was stronger than before, the biggest increases were from my Durability and Stamina. While bullets wouldn't be bouncing off my skin...yet, it would still take a lot more effort to damage me and tire me out.

Standing up from the bench, I moved over to the mirror and looked myself over. Hazel-brown eyes stared back at me as my medium-length black hair, which was shaved on the sides, draped over my sweaty face.

Peering down at the intricate black markings covering both my muscular arms, I felt a knock on my connection with Cyttorak.

Opening the link, the being's deep voice questioned, "Why do you train yourself in this way? Would it not be easier to test yourself upon the battlefield?"

Over the four weeks, I also learned that Cyttorak had absolutely no chill and preferred me to partake in violent and bloody actions all the time.

"I don't want to join a fight without knowing all that I'm capable of first," I stated while moving over to the treadmill.

"A battlefield is the best training ground, Child," Cyttorak lectured.

Ignoring the Deity, I stopped my workout as footsteps sounded in my keen ears as someone made their way towards the training room I was occupying.

Closing the link with Cyttorak, I turned and faced the door right as a man with a bald head and glasses opened it.

The man was startled to find me staring at him but quickly regained his composure and put on a professional smile.

"Private Brock Rumlow?" He questioned.

I stared at the man for a few seconds, trying to place his familiar face, before nodding.

"Pleasure to meet you, my name is Jasper Sitwell." The man drew closer with his hand raised for a handshake.

 

As we shook hands, Jasper leaned close to my ear and whispered softly, "Hail Hydra."

Of Course.

***********

Fort Johnson, S.O.C.C

 

"You have been officially recruited to a new counter-terrorist Special Mission task force of S.H.I.E.L.D," Jasper explained to me while seated in the small chair of the closed-off meeting room.

"The Special Tactical Reserve for International Key Emergencies, or S.T.R.I.K.E, will be under the direct command of Alexander Pierce, Secretary of the World Security Council." Jasper pulled a file out of his briefcase and laid the pages with pictures of soldiers and their info down in front of me on the table.

"The team will consist entirely of...colleagues you may already be acquainted with."

Looking down at the pages I noticed a few familiar faces namely Jack, my foster brother, were among them.

I was surprised the boy was still alive.

"Due to your outstanding record and ability to survive your previous post, you have been assigned as team captain but will report all actions and mission debriefs to me, your handler. We don't want you going off again without our knowledge " Jasper gave me a cold look.

I just stared at the man blankly, while debating internally whether it would be easier to just kill him and try to flee from Hydra.

I let out a sigh before shaking the thought from my head.

Right now I was about at the strength of a low-tier super soldier, while Hydra had armies of spies, winter soldiers, and experimented on enhanced humans.

I needed to build up my power more before I could make any kind of move yet.

"Yes, sir," I stated simply as Jasper gave me an approving nod.

"Great, so we will get you mov-" The man was interrupted by the ringing of his cell phone.

"Excuse me," Jasper said as he picked up the phone and answered.

We sat in silence as he listened to the person on the other end, before confirming something and hanging up.

"Seems like we just got the team's first mission. Grab your belongings and gear up. We're going to New Mexico.

*********

2011

Puente Antiguo, New Mexico

Crater Investigation Site

 

(Omniscient POV)

Cars, pick-ups, and SUVs parked around a huge crater, the sound of a Boisterous Party coming from within.

Inside of the Crater, it looks like the whole town has turned out. Locals sit on lounge chairs, drink beer from coolers, laugh, and talk. They watch the center of the crater, where groups of burly men have formed a line to take a turn with the mysterious object. One of them struggles and fails to lift it.

As he gives up, the next man steps up and takes his turn, straining from the effort. Other Townies snap pictures of the scene with their cell phones. They hear an approaching rumble, then clear a path as a large pickup truck backs its way down the crater's edge. An eager townie hops out the passenger side and pulls a thick chain from the back of the truck. He fastens one end around the object, then securely affixes the chain to the bumper and the rear of the undercarriage.

"Okay, let'er rip!" The eager townie yells to the driver.

The townsfolk watched as the pick-up's engine roared, then strained, its wheels spinning futilely, until finally the rear of the truck, along with the back wheels and axles, break off and go flying.

People nearby dive out of the way, while the townsfolk laugh, the party continuing. None of them notice as on the crater's edge above them, An imposing government vehicle pulls up to a stop. A Fed in a black suit climbs out, and peers down at the boisterous gathering below, his eyes fixed on the object at the center of the crater. He is S.H.E.I.L.D Agent Phil Coulson.

Coulson stares down at the object, a small hammer that glows with otherworldly blue energy. While looking at the hammer, Coulson pulls out a phone from his pocket and makes a call.

"Director Fury, we've found it."

************

A/N: Hey guys, let me know what you think of the story so far, and thanks for reading this chapter!

79