Chapter 37: Unstoppable Force (Last)
1.3k 2 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2012

New York City

 

(Captain America POV)

Thor nods his head to my order and we both start to move toward Stark Tower but pause as we hear the rumbling sound of fast and heavy footsteps echoing throughout the space.

*Boom!*

The wall of the building near us suddenly collapses outward as a dark crimson ball of energy barrels its way toward our direction!

"Look out!" I yell to Thor as I roll out of the way.

But the Thunder God did not heed my warning, instead, he stood his ground and readied his hammer, preparing to hit the oncoming ball of destruction back.

The Crimson orb continues to charge forward, coming closer as Thor swings his hammer down on it.

*Ting!*

The sound of metal striking metal reverberates throughout the city streets, as the metal of the hammer connects with the energy shield.

A huge shockwave emits from the contact as Thor is sent flying back, rebounding off the streets and crashing through the wall of another building.

"Thor!" I call out to the downed man as I raise my shield in front of me and prepare to defend myself from this new threat.

The Crimson ball of energy slows a fraction from the hit, bright lightning arcing off of its surface, but didn't seem to be affected by Thor's attack.

Speeding past me like a freight train, the Crimson orb begins to slow down, two deep foot-sized trenches being dug in the concrete of the streets behind it.

As the ball comes to a stop, the energy surrounding it begins to dissipate, revealing a figure in sleek ebony-plated armor, crimson energy pulsating from the gaps.

In its left hand was a familiar gold spear-like staff, Loki's scepter. While in the other was the broken body of the man himself hanging limply by his throat.

"Wh-what?" I question, bewildered by the bizarre scene before me.

I take a cautious step back as the armored figure turns around to face me. Its glowing crimson eyes giving off the feeling of pure violence and brutality.

I grip the straps of my shield tighter, watching the armored figure for any sudden movements.

"Mer..cy," Loki weakly creaks out from the thing's armored hand, signifying he was still alive, if only just barely.

The armored figure glances down at the damaged man in its hand as its mouth, surprisingly and unnaturally, opened to speak.

"Quiet." Its deep, modulated voice remarks to the broken man. Shaking him a little to accentuate its statement.

"Aaaarrrrgghh!!" Loki weakly shrieked in pain as his shattered limbs, which were dangling at his sides uselessly, bobbed in the air. The broken bones and ligaments make an unsettling popping sound.

Looking at his bloody and busted-up face as he wailed, I wanted to protest this monster's barbaric actions but remembering all the deaths that Loki caused today and glancing at the devastation around me, I couldn't bring myself to say anything in his defense.

I hate to admit it, but some small part of me thought the bastard deserved all the pain he was now feeling.

The armored thing ignored Loki's whimpers and looked back up at me.

Its arm began to move and I braced myself for an attack...but none came. Instead, it lightly tossed the golden scepter in its left hand to me.

Loki's scepter slid on the concrete of the street, coming to a stop at my feet.

I glance back and forth between the armored monster and the scepter, perplexed by what was going on.

The..., monster?, seeing my confusion points up towards Stark Tower and the glowing blue beam on top that was shooting into the sky.

"Close it." It states simply.

Not knowing if this was some kind of trick or scheme, I take a moment to scrutinize the thing in front of me.

The aura around it gave me the feeling of something dangerous, but was it really trying to help?

Still being cautious and watching it for any sudden moves, I bent down to pick up the scepter.

The thing stayed in place as I take the scepter in my hand, noting that the blue glow at its tip was now gone.

Straightening back up, I took a second to study the scepter before sending a questioning gaze to the strange armored thing.

"Why are you helping us?" I ask but it didn't answer and just stares back at me, its crimson eyes giving a blank look.

We stood there staring at each other for a short moment before the screaming and sounds of battle in the city echoed out around us.

I need to move! The longer I stay here and let this go on the more civilians become casualties of this chaotic mess.

Seeing that I wouldn't get a response from the unnatural figure, I began to slowly back away while still keeping it in my sights.

As I gain distance and see that it wasn't trying to move to follow me or attack, I turn around to start heading for Stark Tower.

But, pausing in my steps, I turn my head towards the strangely helpful figure.

"Who are you?" I question.

The armored figure didn't say anything at first, tilting its skull helm to the side as if it was contemplating something.

Assuming that I wouldn't get a reply, I turn back around to continue my trek toward Stark Tower.

"....Crossbones," Its deep, modulated voice declared from behind me.

I look back over my shoulder to take one last glance at the armored figure and give it a nod of thanks, before rushing toward my destination.

**************

New York City

 

(Omniscient POV)

As Captain America leaves to close the portal. Brock looks down at the beaten and broken Loki hanging in his grip.

He was trying to decide what he should do with him when suddenly a loud crash rings out as Thor leaps from the pile of debris he was under and lands a few feet in front of the armored Brock.

An angry look was on his face as a bit of blood dripped from a cut on his head.

Thor studied his new opponent for a moment, a little shocked by his appearance, but as he glances down to see a battered Loki hanging by his throat in Brock's hand, his angry scowl dropped further and he raises his hammer to point in provocation at Brock.

"I don't know what manner of creature you are, but if you don't unhand my brother this instant I'll show you the wrath of an Odinson."

Brock couldn't help but smirk at Thor's words, his faceplate twisting on the outside to mimic the action.

"You know, for someone who claims to be 'on the side of justice, you sure are overly concerned about this genocidal little bitch." Brock's deep voice remarks.

Thor hesitates for a moment, surprised by the creature's words, before replying.

"He may be a monster, but he is still my brother as well as an Asgardian. He'll be tried by our own people, not you."

A deep chuckle sounds out at Thor's words, as Brock laughs mockingly at him.

"How noble." Brock scoffs.

Thor takes a step closer, incensed by this creature's mocking words.

"Enough talk! Release him, now!" He orders.

Brock tilts his head slightly, irritated at being ordered by this self-righteous idiot. The smirk fades from his faceplate and he stares down Thor with a deadly glare.

"I'm starting to want you to make me." He states, the challenge clear in his words.

Thor, not wasting any more time on conversation, abruptly pulls his hand back and throws his hammer toward Brock, who quickly drops the injured Loki on the ground and crosses his arms in front of him in defense.

*Ting!*

The hammer strikes against the dark metal of Brock's armor and sends him sliding back a few feet, before returning to Thor's hand.

Thor grips his hammer and runs forward to the downed Loki, quickly checking to see if he was still amongst the living.

Blood, broken teeth and bruises marked Loki's face. His limbs were warped at odd angles as the bones in his body seemed to be shattered and a black handprint lined the flesh of his throat, but he was alive.

"Brother," Thor says softly as he gently touches Loki's forehead.

Anger, Resentment, Pity, and Sadness blend openly on his face.

But Thor's thoughts were interrupted as an armored boot strikes him straight in the face. Sending him tumbling backward over himself.

"Arrggth!" Thor groans in pain at the powerful kick and tries to get back up on his feet.

But Brock, not wanting to let go of the advantage, moves to leap into the air and brings an armored fist down on him.

Thor, seeing the oncoming attack, rolls out of the way as the concrete erupts upward, and a small crater forms where he was just laying.

He gets back to his feet as Brock straightens himself inside the crater.

A lull in the fight takes place as the two stare each other down for a short moment. Both acknowledging the other's strength.

Above them, we can see Iron Man soaring through the air as he redirects the nuclear missile and guides it through the large portal in the sky.

But the two below don't even pay attention to the action.

Lighting begins to surround Thor as he readies his hammer and Brock charges forward, a faint crimson force-field enwrapping him.

They clash and the sounds of metal striking metal ring out throughout the war-torn city, like a blacksmith working the forge.

Unbenounced to the fighting pair, a short burly man with a long mane of messy black hair that reached his back and a full straggly beard on his face watches the battle from atop a building a few miles away.

A satisfied smile split his lips, revealing two sharp canines.

"Found you." The man murmurs quietly to himself.

**************

Crimson Cosmos Dimension

 

(Cyttorak POV)

"HA HA HA HA!" My laughter rang out around the empty region as I was seated on my throne and watched the boy finally have a worthy fight.

I could feel the joy and exultation coming from him and I had to admit, the boy was growing on me.

He exceeded all my expectations and exhibited all the qualities of my domain without falling victim to it as those old monks did.

Maybe it was time to tell hi-

But my thoughts were suddenly interrupted and a sat upright on my throne as I felt familiar black energy resonate in the outside world from close by.

I knew this feeling and knew what it meant for the boy.

"Seems it's time for the wager to truly start."

***************

A/n: Hey Everyone! Hope you are enjoying the story and as always thanks for reading!

If you like my work and want to support it, send a tip. Anything is appreciated.

Shoutout to my fellow Travelers on Patreon:
- Iceinferno      - Devon Bolwaire

66