Chapter 17-Gifts
2.1k 8 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mika slowly opened her eyes and was immediately overwhelmed by hunger and emptiness. Mika knew the emptiness came from the lack of mana circulating through her body since she used every last wisp of it during her enlightenment.

Suddenly, System messages flooded her mind before she could ask her family for food.

[Congratulations, Host, for moving a step forward on your path to the top of the Sword Path and comprehending Sword Intent.]

[As a System meant to assist the Host with her growth, the System has decided to give you two suitable rewards for your accomplishment.]

[1. The System has unlocked one of its features for you. The System Store.]

[2. The System will help you complete your Volcanic Burst* Technique.]

As soon as she finished reading the messages, she noticed that in the corner of her mind, right under [Status], was now [Store].

She focused on the [Store] icon, and soon an endlessly long list of items appeared in her mind. The list ranged between a [Pebble] to an [Ex-Rank Star Destroyer].

She searched for a way to categorize the list, and it didn’t take long for the list of items to be organized. 

[Weapons] 

[Vehicles]

[Armor]

[Clothes]

[Spells]

[Techniques]

[General]

[Food]

Looking at the various items for sale, Mika noticed that the [Store] used a type of currency that Mika didn’t even know existed. It wanted her to pay in something called Mana Stones.

‘System, what are Mana Stones?’

[Mana Stones are stones filled with mana.]

Mika’s face went black when she heard the System’s description.

‘No shit! I want to know how they are formed! What do they do? Why does the system want me to use them as currency for the [Store]? How do I get them?’

[Mana Stones are chunks of rock that have been soaked in mana for a long time, turning into Mana Stones. They can be used on or for anything that needs an energy source. That’s why the [Store] only accepts them as a form of currency. I will use the Mana contained in those Mana Crystals to make whatever item you bought.]

‘What?! You’re saying you don’t actually have those items and are instead going to make them with mana?! How does that even work?! No, wait! Then why can’t you simply absorb mana out of the air and create whatever item I desire?’

[Yes, Host. The System doesn’t contain all of those items. As for how I create the things in the Store… It is simple for the System to convert mana into something you can use. However, Host, do be sure to remember that the System is here to assist you in your growth. It is not here to give you everything for free. The System is merely here to guide you in the right direction. Everything else is up to you, Host.]

Mika calmed down and understood what the System was trying to say. 

‘I see. That’s good.’ 

The less eager the System is to take advantage of her, the less she has to worry. So far, the System genuinely only cares about her rise in strength. 

She still felt a bit uncomfortable with something this mysterious in her mind, but it was not like she could do anything about it right now. 

Though, so far, the System has shown no signs of trying to harm her or take advantage of her. The only thing that it did that Mika very much disliked was that time when she was knocked unconscious in her Mother’s womb as her body underwent an evolution. 

Mika, of course, understood that what happened to her body wasn’t something she could replicate, and she did technically give her consent to the operation, but it still left a bad taste in her mouth.

On the other hand, why would something so omnipotent even need to take advantage of her? It can turn mana into anything it wants. 

Wouldn’t it be God if it could do something like that? Why would a God-like entity need to use a weak little baby like her for its own games?

Mika put these thoughts behind her and decided to focus on things she could control. Things such as the new technique she created or, as the System dubbed, the [Volcanic Burst Technique]. 

Honestly, Mika quite liked that name and decided to keep it. 

‘System, what do you mean you’ll help me complete my [Volcanic Burst Technique]?’

[The Host’s technique has numerous flaws. The System will help you determine those flaws and will also help you fix them.]

‘...I see. I suppose that could be somewhat helpful, though I’m confident in doing it even without your help. Naturally, as the technique's creator, I also know its flaws.’

[...]

*Rumble*

Mika stopped her conversation with the System when she felt her stomach telling her to put something in it. 

She looked around her and noticed she was in her Mother’s arms, with her family talking to each other. Nobody noticed that she had woken up, though, as they were too engrossed in their conversation.

Mika tilted her head up towards her Mother, and with that, her Mother finally noticed she was awake.

“Oh? Are you finally awake, Sweetie? How are you feeling? You’re not hurt, are you?” 

Elizabeth spoke gently yet worriedly as she caressed her daughter’s cheek.

“...Hungry.”

“Hahaha! Yes, of course, you’re hungry! You must have worked up quite the appetite when you showed us your sword skills! Don’t worry, Sweetie. I’ll go get you some food right now.”

Elizabeth kissed her forehead, handed her over to Cain, and left to get her some food.

Mika looked around and noticed her sibling’s glittering eyes as they looked at her and felt a headache coming on. But before they could start bothering her with annoying questions, her father tapped her on the shoulder. 

She turned around, but her eyes didn’t reach him as they were drawn towards something else.

“Sword!”

That’s right! In Cain’s hand was a wooden sword! 

She was slightly disappointed that it was only a wooden sword, but she was happy nonetheless.

Mika’s smile was so large that her dimples were showing. Her family didn’t even know Mika could make such a face. Throughout the past year, she’s barely ever shown any emotion. The most she’d express herself would be a faint smile or a subtle frown, but she usually had a neutral expression.

Cain and Elizabeth always thought something was wrong with her mentally, but seeing her now… they were definitely right! 

What kind of child would show such an expression towards a sword? How were they supposed to know that she would only be happy if she were holding a sword??

“Yes, Mika. This is a training sword. It can’t hurt or cut anybody, but it is great for training. I’m giving this to you for your birthday. Just be sure not to lose it, okay?”

Mika nodded, snatched the sword from his hands, and immediately brought it close to her chest, similar to how other babies might hold a stuffed animal.

Cain let out a wry smile at her behavior and shook his head. If he knew she would react like that, he would’ve waited for his wife to return.

Luckily, Elizabeth was already on her way back and got to witness this scene, or else she definitely would’ve punished him for being so careless!

Elizabeth, who was supposed to be getting Mika’s food, was now standing a ways away, recording this scene so she would never forget Mika’s smiling face. 

Not long after, she entered the room with several bowls worth of food.

“Here you go, my little glutton. Hehehe~”

Elizabeth giggled when Mika lowered the sword into her lap and started devouring the food in front of her.

Now that Mika was finally awake, Olivia couldn’t hold in her curiosity any longer. So, even though Mika was in the middle of eating, she started firing off questions left and right.

“How did you know you were so talented with a sword?”

“...Feeling.”

“What do you mean by ‘Feeling’?”

“...Body told me.”

“Your body told you? What does that mean? Do you have a unique physique or something? How’d you know you were so talented with the sword.”

“???”

“Okay, let’s forget about that. What about your mana? How did you know how to use it? I doubt Mom and Dad taught you anything.”

“...came naturally.”

“What?! How is that possible?! Hurry, describe the process!”

“... I just wanted it to happen and then-Boom!”

“Huh? That didn’t even make sense! Argh! Little Sis, your Big sis needs you to learn how to speak properly so I can actually understand you!”

“...”

“Whatever! Alright, what was that overbearingly sharp aura you were exuding earlier?”

“... Sword Intent.”

“Oh? So that’s what that was. And what does Sword Intent do?”

“...Makes a sword sharper.”

“Argh! What does that even mean?!”

Olivia and Mika kept going back and forth, but in the end, Olivia had to stop asking questions because she was getting too frustrated. Not at Mika personally, but her lack of vocabulary. It was hard to make heads or tails of what she was actually trying to say.

Watching this scene, Cain, Elizabeth, Adam, and Nathan were also listening in as they too were curious as well, but unlike Olivia, they had a bit more knowledge, so they understood some things that Olivia wouldn’t.

Mika’s little birthday party went on for a while longer, and her siblings had already left to do other things. 

In the end, Mika was left alone with her parents.

“Mika, we both know you’re very talented, but we must warn you of something. Please never use your Magic or show off your body in front of others. At least not until you reach a certain age, okay? You can train with your sword, but please don’t use your magic in front of others.”

Elizabeth said sternly, which Mika’s never heard from her Mother before. Naturally, she was a bit confused. Shouldn’t it be good that she’s so strong early on?

“...Why?”

Elizabeth smiled and rubbed Mika’s head as she answered.

“Because some people might take you away from us if they learn how amazing you are!”

Elizabeth’s words might’ve fooled a normal baby, but Mika could understand the hidden meaning. Not to mention she sensed a bit of malice leaking out of her Mother’s words. It was clear the situation was more complicated than Mika initially thought. 

She personally experienced the saying ‘The tallest tree catches the most wind’ back on Earth.

Mika narrowed her eyes slightly before they quickly returned to normal, and she nodded.

“...Okay, Mother. I won’t use my magic in front of people.”

Elizabeth clapped and sighed in relief.

“That’s my good little girl! I knew you’d understand. As a reward, your Father and I will build you a personal training room where you can practice whatever you want. We can even hire someone to help guide you in your swordsmanship!”

Mika’s eyes shone about having her own private training room, but her attitude took a complete 180 when her Mother mentioned someone ‘guiding’ her.

“...Guide me?”

“Ah! I see you don’t understand. Yes, someone that can help you practice! Would you want something like that?”

“...Heh!”

Mika sneered in disgust at the mere thought of someone teaching her how to use a sword. Cain and Elizabeth felt a little weird seeing their daughter sneering like that, as they’d never seen her make that face before.

“...Teach? Me? Hehe~ Are they qualified?”

Instead of feeling weird, they felt shocked when they heard those words coming out of Mika’s mouth. How could they not? Their 1-year-old child just acted like an arrogant brat! 

However, she did have the right to be arrogant. What 1-year-old child has comprehended Sword Intent?

As much as they were shocked, they were happy to see a new side of Mika. 

Though, for some reason, she only started showing these sides after she received a sword…

That’s beside the point! 

Now that they thought about it, Mika didn’t really need someone to teach her anything. Actually, it was probably better if nobody taught her anything as she’ll learn things eventually over time with her talent. 

“Well, let’s just forget I said anything then. Anyways, we’ll need to start getting you prepared for the Third Prince’s Birthday. Seeing how you can already speak decently well, we’ll need to start teaching you how to behave on formal occasions. You probably won’t understand most of it, but let’s do our best okay?”

“...Eh?”

81