Chapter 027
125 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The weapon shop found by Aurora sits on a quiet side street a few blocks away from the Mountain View Inn. The road is empty, but a few people can be spotted walking the area. Unlike many of Montillo's buildings, the weapon shop stands alone, without connected walls. Black smoke rises from a large chimney attached to the brick exterior. Large windows show a gallery of bladed weapons that seem to represent every era.

Markus looks at the wooden sign just above the door. A hammer and anvil are painted with Latin words below. Even without knowing the language, it's easy to tell what the building does.

“Here it is. I asked around, and I'm pretty sure there are only two shops. This one, and another at the southern edge of town.” Aurora says out loud.

“This is fine. When we get inside I'll ask about the the items we found. Hopefully we can build up money for the future.” Markus replies back. He then turns to Eclair and says “I know you have to get back to Little Creek once you finish Jonathan's tasks, but I'll buy you something nice as a thank you for everything so far.”

“Really? That's nice, but I still have a few days left. You can take your time.” Eclair says with a smile. She then has sad thoughts about the future, but hides them from the others.

The group moves toward the building, with Markus opening the door to let everyone inside. A bell rings, catching the attention of someone at the back of the building. A deep voice yells “Take yer time!”

Inside the weapon shop, half of it is dedicated to displaying merchandise. The remaining half of the building has a long shop counter, where directly behind it Markus can see the forge plus various anvils, smelters, and tools. A door near the forge is open and the sounds of objects being stacked can be heard.

The group spreads out inside the weapon shop while they wait for someone to return. Markus browses the bladed weapons, and a small area full of armor. They're all detailed and crafted, but Markus sees nothing that really resembles his hammer.

As Markus looks around, he spots something very familiar to him. On the wall beside the counter, a rifle can be seen mounted on the wall. It's a early design, very similar to the Civil War replicas he has shot in the past.

When Markus walks closer to inspect it, his attention is turned away when he hears the back door of the shop slam shut. Another incredible sight makes him lose all interest in the rifle. A dwarf is moving around beside the forge. A true mythical dwarf, from folklore and movies.

“Welcome to the shop. Name's Rodrick, how can I help ya lad?” The man says to Markus as he walks up to the counter. Unseen to everyone, the back of the counter has an elevated platform to stand on.

Markus is having a difficult time trying to calm himself from excitement. Rodrick is a true dwarf, with a large black beard and long matching hair. He's wearing a work apron with a basic white shirt and blue jeans. However, Markus can see the muscles that prove the man is built sturdy.

“Umm...” Markus stumbles on his own words, but fixes himself to reply “I was walking by when I saw your shop. I was wondering if you buy or trade items?”

“Oh, that what yer wanting? I buy, but right now I'm only interested in high demand things.” Replies Rodrick. Meanwhile, Eclair and Aurora fly down to the counter to join the conversation. He greets them with a smile and says “Hello little ladies.”

Pulling from the side of his pants, Markus frees the hammer weapon taken from the ruins. He gently places it in front of the dwarf while asking “What can you give me for this?”

There is a skeptical look coming from the face of Rodrick. He moves to pick up the weapon, but when his hands touch the metal, he recoils back in shock. His reaction surprises everyone, but the dwarf settles himself quickly before asking “Lad, where'd you get this?”

It was a question Markus hoped he wouldn't have to answer, but Rodrick's reaction prompted a change. He begins telling the dwarf about the ruins to the east, careful to leave out details that would give himself away as an outsider. Eclair and Aurora get the hint, and occasionally add their voices too without revealing much.

“Yer a lucky man. Those ruins have been picked clean thrice over.” Rodrick says to everyone. He then pulls out an eye glass and carefully goes over the entire weapon. A few minutes pass before he says “I've got an idea of what this is.”

Rodrick puts down the eye glass, and gives a serious look to Markus while saying “It's a mining hammer. Hammer and pick style. Vintage dwarven craftsmanship. Not really valuable, except for the changes to it.”

“What do you mean?” Markus ask. He's leaning close to the dwarf as he begins explaining the weapon.

“Mining hammer specifically made for Calor minerals. Explosive stuff because of dense mana. It's made of Mythril and other minerals to absorb mana from anything it strikes... or touches. Even in our culture, only madmen mined for Calor. Only they could handle such a weapon, or if yer dead, or I guess one of those Earth folks since they don't have mana.” Rodrick says in a concerned tone. “You had it on ya, feeling alright lad?”

Markus suddenly faces a situation where his identity will be blown. Thinking fast, he says “My mother always said I had too much mana. You know, I've been feeling a little uneasy every since I picked it up. Guess I know why now.”

“Yer a really lucky man. Anyways, plenty of good on the weapon. Damn thing is nearly indestructible and very lightweight. Whoever owned it turned it into a war hammer... maybe sidearm. Put lots of detail on it. Too bad no one can really use it.” Rodrick says as he motions to Markus to pick his weapon back up.

“Alright... I'll take it as a no that you don't want it?” Markus responds. He then picks up the war hammer and places it back along his side.

Rodrick nods no to Markus, then says “Not for that, but I'd be interested in the dagger and locket you found.”

A sigh escapes Markus, but he is extremely curious about the war hammer now. A weapon only he could use might be very advantageous. Questions begin to form inside his mind on what uses he can find for it.

“Hey Rodrick, can you explain what the hammer actually does when it strikes something?” Markus asks.

“Everything in this world has mana lad, but that thing can devour it all. Some fae folk legends say being hit with such a weapon is like having your soul torn apart. In olden days, when monsters truly roamed, hunters used such weapons because they cared not whether a beast was mythical or mortal.” Rodrick then leans in close, saying “As a weapon maker, even I fear these creations.”

Eclair and Aurora suddenly have nervous looks in their eyes as they stare at the weapon on Markus. He notices their glances, then backs away to point at the rifle on the wall. In an attempt to change subject, he says “Good thing we have these. Pretty good monster killers I bet.”

There is a silence, then Rodrick burst out laughing while banging his hands on the counter. “Ah! Good one lad! All Noverran guns are useless. Not until the damn scientist figure out the ammo problem.”

“Oh, that's interesting. I've never owned a rifle before. What's the problem.” Markus says in a cool tone, pulling more information out from Rodrick.

“The mana! Mana from our world throws off mixtures sometimes. Gunpowder made on Noverra has been a problem for countless decades. The normal mixture amount from Earth breaks apart guns here, and reducing the amount weakens the bullets too much. Anyone wearing a half decent set of armor can take a bullet from a Noverran gun with only a dent.” Rodrick replies with frustration. “At least the fancy pants scientist figured out the gasoline problem a long time ago.”

“That's really useful to know.” Markus replies with a smile, then nods over to the girls to get them to prepare to leave. As they head for the door, Markus turns to say “Thank you for your time. I'll come back later with the other items.”

“Lad! I didn't catch your name.” Rodrick yells back.

“Markus! Thanks for the information. You have no idea how much it means to me.” Markus says with a smirk. He opens the door and the group heads out back onto the streets of Montillo.

1