Chapter 033
105 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regret. That's the look Markus wears on his face. The question was asked poorly, and now there's silence from the entire table. The fae are looking nervously at him and the other two men. Augustus has a slightly confused look on his face, not expecting the question, but Abel has a discerning stare towards Markus.

It was now impossible to take back the words. The glass of beer in front of Markus is grabbed with a nervous hand, before taking a long drink. His mind is racing to follow up the question with something else.

A hearty laugh breaks the silence. It's Augustus with a tipsy smile. He suddenly pats Abel on the back with enough force to almost knock him off the chair. “Good question! With so many answers too!” Augustus says loudly. Not many people are left inside Evergreen, but he catches their attention on accident.

A sigh of relief escapes from Markus. Abel is now occupied trying to fight off the hand from Augustus. The girls have a few laughs as they watch grown men spar with each other. Whatever tension existed has quickly vanished.

“Okay, fine.” Augustus says to Abel, then focuses back to Markus. “I've already met someone from Earth, but I was a child when it happened. Now that I'm older, if I had that chance again, I would help them in any way. Certainly keep them away from the Acquisition Department at least. I believe humanity is at its best when we help another. Not imprisoning them or draining knowledge or trading people like the governments do now.”

Markus looks at Augustus with a smile. The man is as genuinely kind as a person can be. A deep respect is growing from Markus as he says “I'm sure any person from Earth would certainly appreciate your company. As for me, I'd like to help them make it back home. Granted, for a selfish reason. I just want to see what Earth is like.”

“Aye, I'm with Gus.” Abel joins the conversation. He then finishes off the last of his beer. “Rewards are nice and all, but I've met Acquisition people. All of them snobby pricks. I'd rather help the Earth folks.”

Augustus erupts with a laugh, causing Markus to join in too. Allies. The word forms inside Markus' mind as he looks at the pair. These men can be friends and help him reach home. Information and allies, an incredible outcome from a dinner.

“Seems like we all basically agree, but honestly, I don't even know where the closest active areas are.” Markus says while taking another drink.

“True... nothing except dream talk from us. Northern Ronoa has a few areas, but the war makes things hectic over there. Silva is always a good option if you don't mind a quick sea trip. South into the empire has areas, but lots of tension between the two countries as usual.” Augustus says while drinking the last bit of beer in his glass. When finished, he pulls out a pocket watch to glance at the time.

“Time to go?” Markus asks. He then takes a look around Evergreen. Empty tables everywhere, with only a few patrons left.

“Unfortunately. We have to meet the sheriff in the morning here. Apparently, we violated some law when we unloaded our goods today. The man just wants a handout or something. Honestly, he's one of the few people in this world I don't like.” Augustus says with a grumble. Ellie is called over for the check, and when she arrives, Augustus hands her a stack of money.

A few minutes pass before Ellie returns with a receipt and some change. “Thank you all for visiting.” She says happily. Several coins are left as a tip, and then everyone starts to leave their places at the table. The group idly chats before turning for the front door.

Two men sitting near their table catches the eye of Markus as he gets ready to leave. Dressed in similar fashion as Abel, with leather and cloth armor pieces. One of the men stares at Markus as he passes, and Markus stares back at the man. Tough looking with short black hair, and large scar over his left eye. A red bandanna is tied on his left arm, and the other man has one too.

Markus breaks eye contact first, and rejoins the others heading out the front door of Evergreen. He didn't like the situation, and makes a mental image of the man. Once outside, cold air can be felt as the group gathers to say goodbye.

“We really appreciate dinner. Isn't that right girls?” Markus says while looking at the fae.

“Yes, thank you for the meal.” Aurora says with a slight bow.

“Thank you. It was good.” Eclair says happily. She gives a thumbs up to Augustus and Abel.

Abel reaches out to shake the hand of Markus while saying “It was fun, you take care now.”

Markus reaches out and shakes the hand of Abel, then reaches out to Augustus. However, he's taken by surprise when the large man gives him a bear hug as goodbye. He adds one of his powerful back pats for good measure.

“Marcus, I had a grand time. Always good to talk with people with my interest.” Augustus says as he finally releases Markus from his hug. He continues with “You all can call me Gus! All my friends do, and tonight we're friends.”

“I appreciate the gesture... Gus.” Markus responds. He then pats Gus on the side and says “It was nice talking with you. You really have some amazing knowledge. Maybe tomorrow morning I can meet you both for breakfast after you finish with the sheriff?”

“Oh! That would be nice.” Gus says with a smile. “But I don't know when we'll finish.”

“It's alright. We're actually staying across the street.” Markus says while he points to the Mountain View Inn behind him. “It'll be easy to come over here.”

Gus smiles and laughs. “What a lovely coincidence! Certainly makes it easy. Alright, we'll see you tomorrow.”

Waves of goodbye spread out between the group before splitting up into opposite directions. Across the road from Evergreen, Markus glances back to see Gus and Abel turning on their truck. The engine echos through the empty streets, and takes off as two beams of light guide the way.

“Huh... has headlights and everything.” Markus says to himself. He turns back around, walking to the front door of the inn. The three make their way into the empty lobby, and then head up the stairs.

“You sure it was a good idea letting him know where we are staying?” Aurora asks Markus as they move up the stairs.

“Gus wouldn't hurt a fly... Abel sure, but not Gus.” Markus says back. “Tonight was very informative, but I still need more information before we plan the next move.”

“Well, we have the map in the room.” Eclair says to the other two. “We got some information from them, and you both still have time. Lets use the few days we have to really think of everything.”

“Right... the map.” Markus replies, then says to Eclair “But that's also the reason I want to see Gus tomorrow. To ask more about the gateways and active portal areas. A map is no good if you don't have a destination.”

The group reaches their room as they talk. Markus grabs the key and inserts it into the lock. As he holds the door open for the fae, he looks down the hall to see if anyone was following. An uneasy feeling has been with him ever since he saw the men with red bandannas. No one can be seen, and quietly, the door closes.

0