Chapter 037
94 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gunshots echo throughout the alleyway. The Crimson man walking towards the fae is struck first. A bullet tears into his left thigh, and another follows just below it. He yells in pain, but doesn't stop his advance. Another step is taken as he prepares to drop the wooden club on the girls. A third gunshot, with a bullet ripping into the inner right thigh. The man crumbles to his knees, but doesn't release his weapon. One more gunshot. The shoulder leading the club arm is hit. The Crimson man collapses backwards with his weapon, screaming in agony.

'Shoot to cripple'. 'Don't kill anyone'. Markus keeps repeating the phrases in his head. Accurately aiming with one hand is slowing him down. Rage is tempting him to do the unthinkable. The pistol then turns toward the scarred Crimson man. The man flinches at the gun, but he starts charging anyway.

Markus lowers the pistol at the scarred man's legs, pulling the trigger three times in quick succession. The 9mm bullets easily tear through the leather armor and clothing of the man. Each thigh is hit, and a third bullet smashes into the right knee cap. The scarred Crimson slams face first into the ground. He immediately rolls over, grabbing his legs while yelling in pain.

The face of Markus quickly changes to horror as he realizes what he's done. The rage felt earlier is gone now as he sees the crippled men in front of him. Markus stands silently for a moment, but he then remembers Eclair.

Rushing to Eclair's side, Markus kneels above Aurora as she attends to their wounded friend. Eclair's eyes are closed as blood drips from a wound on her head. Her wings are completely listless.

“Oh God... tell me she's not dead. Tell me she's okay.” Markus says in a panic. His voice is cracking as he watches Aurora tend to Eclair. “I'm sorry. I'm sorry Eclair.”

Aurora's hands glow as she moves around Eclair's head. She says “She's alive! It's a concussion I think. We need to go somewhere right now so I can finish healing her.”

Markus reacts immediately to Aurora's words. He says “Got it. I'll carry her.” Dropping his pistol to the ground, he uses the good right hand to undo the blue cloak wrapped around his wounded hand. Anguish appears on his face as he pulls the cloak apart from the cut. Laying the cloak on the ground, Markus finds the least bloody area for Eclair.

Gently, Markus places Eclair into the center of the cloak. More pain crosses the face of Markus as he closes the wounded hand securely around the cloak despite his wound. He then ties a portion of the cloak around his left hand to further lock Eclair.

Several more Crimson members rush into the alley as soon as Markus finishes. He grabs his pistol, standing up while Aurora takes off into the air. Markus keeps the wrapped cloak close to his chest as he backs away from the Crimson men.

“Look at what he did. Screw Monica's orders! Kill the bastard!” One of the Crimson thugs yells. They all start dropping or tossing wooden weapons away. Swords and daggers are now being pulled out as the men start to move forward.

Markus points his pistol at the nearest Crimson man. They're only several yards away, already reaching their wounded friends. He yells “Stay back! Get away from us! I don't know what the hell you want with me!” Markus keeps moving backwards as Aurora hovers behind him.

One of the thugs starts charging. Markus reacts instantly and fires off a shot at the charging man. The bullet strikes the man's left ear, tearing off the top half. The man's screams immediately stop the others from moving.

“That's a Earth gun! A real gun... We need to get Monica quick!” Another man yells out. A Crimson member backs away from the group and disappears at the t-crossing.

Markus takes off running in the opposite direction. The Crimson's are reluctant to follow closely, keeping their distance now. The opening of the alley is only a few yards ahead. Markus sprints with Aurora closely following. The cloak carrying Eclair is still held tightly by the wounded hand of Markus.

At last, Markus reaches the streets of Montillo again. He runs across a nearly empty road, then turns around to see what the Crimson's are doing. The group following Markus exits the alley, and stand there watching him.

Backing up slowly, Markus is about to start running again down the street when he sees the face of the woman in red. She appears from behind the Crimson group from the alley. Immediately, she takes command by stepping in front of the men. Markus recalls the name Monica, and can only assume she's a leader.

Monica stares intensely at Markus from across the road. She then lifts her hand up, and gives a signal to the men beside her. All of a sudden, they all start charging towards him. Panic and fear are starting to set in because they won't stop. The pistol is again pointed at the charging group as Markus begins running backwards. Out of desperation, he fires wildly into the Crimson men.

Markus rapidly squeezes the trigger six times. The sound of gunshots causes nearby civilians to scream in fear while attempting to hide. Recoil together with running causes the shots to be wildly inaccurate. A lucky bullet hits a Crimson thug's finger, severing it completely off. The other pursuers start scrambling into cover or ducking to the ground. A pair of bullets ricochet off the ground, one shatters a shop window, and another bounces off a lamp post. The final bullet aims true at the heart of Monica.

However, the last bullet never reaches its mark. Standing tall and without fear, Monica has her hands pressed against the air. It's the same stance Aurora made inside the ruins. The last bullet smashes into a barrier, as if made of bullet-proof glass. A spiderweb of cracks ripple from the point of impact. A few moments pass before she undoes her magic. A twisted bullet falls harmlessly to the ground.

The eyes of Markus are now stuck on the woman called Monica. He's just seen her stop a bullet out of thin air. Slowing himself down, Markus takes careful aim at her. A terrible thought enters his mind. He's facing a murderer using magic.

“Everyone stop! Fall back!” Monica yells at her men. “He's from the other side. Leave him for now, and get the wounded! Move your asses!” She signals again with her hands, before moving back into the alley and out of sight.

The Crimson men start retreating away from Markus. The man with the severed finger is yelling and cursing while gripping his hand. He's the last to disappear out of view. Several nearby civilians begin moving or standing up from behind cover.

An incredible sigh of relief escapes from Markus. He starts to jog further down the street. People are now sticking their heads out windows and shops, wondering what the commotion was all about. Another alley is soon found, and Markus slips inside with Aurora.

Following the alley a short distance, Markus quickly appears on a different street. As he exits, a familiar face greets him. He's taken by surprise at the completely unexpected encounter. It's Versa, the bat-woman from the cave.

1