Chapter 044
74 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Markus and Oscar continue looking outside the southern suite window. Words haven't been spoken since Oscar's remark. The beer in each man's hand is half empty, and the cold nearly gone. Their eyes bounce around to different sights beyond the estate wall. A tent being added, guards changing shifts, and tasks handed out all occur in short notice.

A sip of beer is taken before Markus turns to Oscar to ask “Why aren't they attacking? They must outnumber us ten to one. Probably more.”

“Cuss they're smart... and scared.” Oscar replies. He soon follows with a drink of his own beer. “Tell me what happened in Montillo today.”

There's a pause as Markus thinks about what to say next. He starts scratching the stubble on his chin, then begins reciting the day. Oscar listens carefully as he nods along to the words being said. Versa's bat-ears twitch as she eavesdrops on their conversation while sitting beside the writing desk.

Markus' mind flashes with visions as he recalls events. The death of Gus, cutting himself on glass, running through town, almost losing Eclair, and then meeting Versa. Oscar listens through everything without a word, only sipping his beer periodically. Markus finally ends his story at the gates of the estate.

“So Gus Silius and his bodyguard are dead.” Oscar says softly. Genuine sadness shows on his face. “In happier times... he used to always visit us while he was in town. Showing off new outfits and trends. Even the mistress wore some of his outfits when she was younger.”

“I only knew the man a short time. He was good to me. I'm sure we would've been good friends.” Markus says back.

“If Gus let you call him by his nickname, you were already his friend.” Oscar says with a smirk, but it quickly fades away. “Can't do anything for him now. We gotta focus on the people alive here. Follow me. I'll show you around while we talk.”

Oscar turns to walk out the suite room, setting his empty bottle on top of a dresser he passes. Markus quickly follows as he sits his own bottle beside the other one. As he's about to exit the suite, he turns to Aurora and Versa to say “We'll be back soon.” The girls nod as they watch him leave.

The old butler is waiting in the hallway with his hands behind his back. When Markus reaches him, he says “I've been thinking about it. The reason why they're waiting. Abel killed their comrades, and you bloodied them too. Today was probably the first real resistance since they've come to town. Shame you weren't aiming to kill.”

“It was a last resort.” Markus retorts.

A big smile forms across Oscar's face. “You'd be surprised by what people can do if they're pushed. Anyway, the Crimsons know the damage your little pistol can do. When we walked outside with our rifles, we put the image of being shot with a much bigger gun in their heads. You especially.”

Markus ponders the idea for a moment. He says “Okay... makes sense. Some of them reacted badly when I aimed the rifle around.”

“There's also another reason. If we're all killed now, the Crimsons would be quickly hunted by military and police. The entire town would know they did it. No one would help them. Not even other criminals. However... I'm positive their leader and Monica are trying to figure out a way around that.” Oscar says with a serious tone.

The old butler starts moving down the hallway with Markus walking right behind him. On the second level, Oscar begins talking as a true professional. Courteous as he points out the various rooms both men walk pass. Smaller guest suites, bathrooms, and a music room just on the second level west wing. All elegantly styled. They continue forward until they reach the middle of the second level.

Directly across from the bifurcated stairs leading down, a pair of large black doors. Oscar opens a door to let Markus peek inside. It's an enormous master suite. Empty of an owner, but clearly decorated with a young woman's touch.

“The mistress' room. We keep it tidy in case she ever returns to it.” Oscar says to Markus. The old butler's comment is perplexing.

The door is shut again for the master suite. Oscar starts pointing to the east wing to list rooms located there. A grand library, an art room, bathrooms, another large suite along with numerous smaller bedrooms. The old butler then starts leading the tour to the main level.

The main level west wing has many rooms set for servants. As Oscar keeps guiding Markus around, they visit a large kitchen and dining room. Next to it is a massive space set for entertaining hundreds of people. More guest suites and smaller rooms on the main level east wing.

The estate is the largest personal residence Markus has ever seen. Classy and elegant, with rooms to entertain all types of visitors. As Oscar leads Markus back to the main level area with the stairs, he moves into a small side hallway. Only a few doors can be seen, but one door in particular has countless dirty plates and laundry outside.

“Apologies. Bad habit of the mistress. With everything going on it's been hard keeping up with normal duties.” Oscar says to a confused Markus. He then walks over to the door, knocking on it while saying “Olivia, I've brought the guest I told you about. Do you want to meet him?”

There's silence for a few moments, then a young woman's voice can be heard saying “Go away. Just leave me.”

A disappointed groan can be heard from Oscar. He turns to Markus to say “Sorry. I'm sure you'll meet Countess Olivia Sellitti soon... I hope.”

Oscar turns around and heads back the way he came from. Markus watches him pass by, then rejoins him. A last glance is taken at the messy hallway before it moves out of view. Questions are starting to form about the mysterious Countess.

0