18- Can you do that?
162 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...He did not want to lower himself to talk to the commoners in the group.

After waiting for about an hour the fleet of transportation artefacts finally arrived. It was a big vehicle that was mainly used to transport people around. It was large and sturdy and the interior was filled with seats that lined up the sides. This time, both Nobility and commoners sat on the same transportation artefact. The ride was long and bumpy, but they were all recruits and they had already experienced so much since coming for basic training, taking a ride on the transport would practically not even make them queasy.

After a 2 hour ride, they finally arrived at a huge fence. The fence was wedged in between two mountains, stretching for a few kilometres.

The dark forest was off to the side of A city, it was home to many wild mutated beasts and the military had been monitoring the place for decades, by having patrols both inside and outside of the fence they seek to keep the mutated beasts away from the towns and villages surrounding City A. Occasionally a beast or two would escape and wreak havoc, but these were non lethal and the villagers and townsfolk would handle them.

Every couple of years, they would venture deep into the dark forest to kill the mutated beasts and reduce their population. It might seem that it's brutal and cruel, but humanity's survival depended on keeping the mutant beasts at bay.

As Z and the rest exited the vehicle, they were greeted by the smell of blood. Although the beasts from the dark forest seldom roamed out from the confines of the forest, that doesn't mean they did not enjoy a meal or two. Being mostly predators their diets consist of mainly smaller beasts. It was lucky that their reproductive cycles were fast enough otherwise they might eat each other into extinction.

Upon reaching the gate, a huge clearing came into view where there were people gathering around in groups, immediately Z and the rest, led by Vero quickly found the group that they were allocated to. Already present were the group of soldiers that were leading the group consisting of 1 from each classification. Their leader was a huge man with one prosthetic limb sitting on a log. Surrounding him was a female soldier with a shield, a fat soldier eating nutrition bars, and a young chap who looked like he had just finished school.

The specialist group was short of manpower, so they could only send out 2 students per group. Both of which had already arrived ahead of schedule.

The Vanguard group stepped forward as Vero introduced the team to the veteran soldiers.

"Good afternoon Sir, my name is Vero and this is my team, Kyzil, Odrunn, Zero and David. We are from the vanguard classification and it is a pleasure to work with you, sir!"

The old soldier with the prosthetic arm looked up and nodded at Vero waving his arm to ask him to take a seat at the side with the two support classes. Once again greeting them and giving them an introduction to the team.

The young boy with the small stature spoke up in response.

"Hello, team leader Vero, my name is Wallas Aidan a support class, this is Cali Whispers, we are working with your group, please take care of us."

Vero replied with a lot of courtesy, "Nono, we should be thanking you in advance for your support."

Vero and the team began to look for comfortable seating beside the two supports, they had to be prepared to wait a long time for the other two classes to come.

Odrunn upon sitting down asked Vero curiously.
"Hey Vero, who's that? Why are you so respectful of him?" He said, motioning towards the old soldier.

The two supports at the sides sat upright as they perked their ears waiting to hear the information.

"That's Lieutenant Raff, he forcefully rejected all promotions and remained at the Lieutenant rank, he could have been a major or higher, but he preferred to stay a Lieutenant to hunt the beasts within the forest."

Vero said, with reverence in his eyes.
"Just an old fool afraid of responsibilities, he must think the government is paying him to slack off and just play in the forest"

Kyzil interrupted, speaking with gusto.

Vero immediately extended his arm and grabbed the stunned Kyzil. He thought that this big oaf was really gentle to his fellow nobles even if they killed some commoners he wouldn't stand in their way. But to think that it would aggravate him enough to grab hold of him... It was beyond him.

"Apologise for what you said! Lieutenant Raff, lost his wife and kid when a warship class mutant beast escaped from the fence and entered the nearby town where his wife was in. At that time, he was on duty and the soldiers that were supposed to guard the town slacked off and were drunk."

Vero exerted force and pulled Kyzil closer.

" When he came back, it was already too late. If he had just come back earlier, he would have managed to save them. Still, with the loss of his wife, he fought the mutant beast tooth and nail, even though he was only at tank class at that time, he fought it hard losing his arm in the process but eventually killing the beast and saving the town from being wiped out."

Breathing deeply he continued to speak,

"The two soldiers showed up after drinking all night. When they did, they just said lucky it was only commoners that died and they tried to claim credit for what Lieutenant Raff did. They were nobles, such a disgraceful act and they did it. Lieutenant Raff beat them half to death that day, he lost his wife and kid and all they could do was mock him. If you want to know why he ended up that rank, it's because he beat up the two nobles. How f*cking disgraceful is that? Ever since that incident, he has been staying here hunting down every mutant beast that appears. Is that slacking off!?"

He finally stopped his sentence as his grip loosened from Kyzil's collar. Kyzil took the opportunity to step aside and move away from the agitated Vero.

"Indeed, it was disgraceful, but they did nothing wrong,"

Kyzil said quietly as he sat alone in the corner, not wanting to agitate Vero further.

3