23- It’s a trap!
123 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...The huge wolf opened it's mouth and bit down towards Lieutenant Raff.

The recruits looked on in horror as they were horrified at the gruesome imagery that was going to present itself before them. Z watched on, he had already noticed the terrifying calmness in Lieutenant Raff's eyes. The veteran soldiers around them hadn't even moved a muscle and just calmly watched Lieutenant Raff. His many years of living life on the edge give Z a sort of sixth sense, he knew that Lieutenant Raff would survive, or rather, unscathed.

In the instant the wolf's jaws clamped down, Lieutenant Raff had already raised his prosthetic limb and stuffed it into the wolf's jaw, letting the wolf clamp down on solid metal. In an instant, he raised the prosthetic limb with the wolf attached and slammed it down like a hammer. After the wolf unhinged itself from the limb it faced yet another blow to its head, this time smashing it like a watermelon with its red juices and pulp flying everywhere.

Cali who was at the back felt her limbs lose strength as she immediately fell to the floor. She had seen fighting before and had even seen the deaths of several beasts, but this sight really made her feel uncomfortable. Supported by Wallas she managed to pick herself up and stand up once again.

After Sergeant Scarlett and Lieutenant Raff cleared up most of the threats, they deemed it safe for the rest to come out to help out with the cleanup. The attackers, with Kyzil and Vero, stepped up to dispatch whatever's left of the wolves, while the rest of team 15A took the wolf bodies and put them together in a pile, taking off whatever meat and pelt that weren't damaged in the fight. With so many bodies, it would be impractical to take everything along with them, so they could be as selective as they want, packing up meat that was not that tough and the pelts that weren't damaged.

Clearing up this section, they asked Cali to open up a grave to bury the remnants of the wolves. The decomposing carcasses of the wolves would have attracted plenty of other wild beasts to gather at this area. So in order to prevent that, burying the wolves and letting them return to the soil would be the best option for them to deal with.

The rest of team 15A stepped back as they watched Cali open up the ground using her manifest, her face was pale and she had beads of sweat trickling down from her forehead. It seems that it has taken a lot of her concentration just to do that. After opening up the ground, Arlene used her manifest to push the wolf carcasses down into the chasm. The minute the last wolf fell into the hole, the ground closed up again still as it was before.

Team 15A rested once again, as they took out water to hydrate themselves and munched on Nutrition bars to keep their energy up.

Vero who was sitting beside Z started making small talk,

"So.. You must really like nutrition bars huh? Seeing as you are constantly munching on them."

Vero said with a smile somehow he had just wanted to get a response from Z who was like he was in his own world most of the time.

"Yeah, it's alright I guess, it gives you what you need nutritionally and it doesn't have any taste to begin with. The situation out there isn't too good anyway, unless you are well to do, normal food is hard to come by. There's Famine everywhere crops aren't growing the way they should be, so nutrition bars are the optimum choice I suppose."

Z said in a matter of factly way. He wasn't one to make small talk and decided that the best way to handle this conversation was to speak the facts. Even after he had joined the resistance in his previous timeline, things that dealt with emotion wasn't his strong suit. He was after all living as an emotionless ghost for a great portion of his life.

Vero could only give a smile as he turned to the rest of the other members to find solace in small talk there. After resting up, Team 15A decided to move ahead forward, using the formation they had dictated previously, both Kipp and Warfield ran ahead, surprisingly the road ahead was pretty clear, other than the occasional stray beast, which was easily handled by Kipp and Warfield. They'd been walking for a couple of hours and yet they still hadn't found any signs of beasts.

"Hey guys! I've lost contact with the scouts and the party behind. What do we do? Do we go on ahead or wait for the main body behind us?"

Wallas said anxiously as he was completely lost in the situation.

The group turned towards Sergeant Scarlett who was the veteran soldier in the group. Their decisions that they had to make seemed simple enough, but it was actually a really difficult decision.

Since they lost contact with everyone, if Z's group were to chase up to the group in front, they may lose the support from the back. If they were to wait for the group at the back to catch up, the scouts at the front may have already encountered danger. It was really a dilemma.

Sergeant Scarlett didn't hesitate at all, her decision was to charge up to the front to support the scouts if they were to have encountered danger.

"Wait! Something is not right." Z shouted out attempting to warn

Unwilling to listen to an unmanifested commoner, Sergeant Scarlett pulled Odrunn and David asking them to walk forward.

"You are a Vanguard! It is your job to walk forward and be the shield for your allies! It is not your job to worry and theory craft. If you scared you can stay here and not get in our way!"

Odrunn turned around to look at Z, he had the look of helplessness in his eyes, he trusted Z's intuition but with Sergeant Scarlett holding onto him he could only resign to fate and follow orders.

3