Chapter 002 – Identity
78 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a touch, all the lightning in Ryuuya's body got swept away. His contracting muscles relaxed and he sighed with relief. But with this touch, something else got swept away as well. He thought he heard a glass break and after an instant, his head was flooded with new information! His face contorted and immeasurable pain attacked his brain.

"What have you done to my friend?!"

Katsuki was panicking and berating Shiro but she had a grasp of the situation. She thought she was about to break a single ability on Ryuuya but instead, she broke two. She also heard the glass breaking and was surprised. While Katsuki was yelling at her, she never took her eyes off of Ryuuya. After sometime, he lost consciousness.

"Shit! What have you done to my friend huh!?"

"Wasn't me. Probably the ability of one of the students."

"Bullshit! You were to last to touch him!"

"Just take him to the infirmary."

After saying that she got up and fixed her skirt. She gave a final look to Ryuuya and walked away. Katsuki lifted Ryuuya and began walking to the infirmary while grumbling about how the new girl was useless. His best friend was this hurt because of her so it was understandable.

They reached not long after as there were several infirmaries around the school and they happened to be close to one. The students who saw them were scoffing at them. Some were even saying good for them without intending to hide their voices.

The doctor there was shocked at the state of burns on Ryuuya's body. He was still unconscious and his face was still somewhat contorted. The doctor told Katsuki to leave after putting Ryuuya to bed. Even if he protested and expressed his desire to stay the doctor told him that he could come after school and he should not neglect his classes.

Katsuki tried to force his way but the doctor did not yield and in the end, he left dejectedly. The doctor looked at the injuries of Ryuuya while muttering.

"What the hell did you do this time?"

"You speak to him even though you know he will not answer right?"

"Huh?!"

When the doctor turned around, he saw a figure that every person in the school respected and feared at the same time, the principal of TYRENT Academy. The doctor was visibly shocked to see him here, and almost fell when he talked.

"P-p-principal, sir! What brings your esteemed self-"

"Naah leave it. I don't like it. I came here to take a look at this fella here."

"I- I see."

Principal walked beside the bed and put his hand on Ryuuya's forehead. He closed his eyes and hummed a little bit and crossed his arms. After that he smiled to the doctor and spoke.

"Tell him to come to my office after he wakes up okay?"

"I understand, sir!"

"Good."

After this exchange, the Principal left while whistling the same tune he hummed moments ago. The doctor was sweating profusely so he took out a napkin. He looked at Ryuuya with wide eyes and spoke again.

"I don't know what you did this time but you look like you're in big trouble."

He sat on his chair with a sigh and prepared a coffee. After the Principal touched his forehead, Ryuuya's expression was relaxed. Although his pain was lessened, it was not entirely gone. His head went from about to explode to being prickled with countless needles.

He was currently acquiring new knowledge, new memories. Information flowed into his brain uncontrollably and he was having a hard time organizing them. He was seeing, 'remembering' new stuff about his life. His memories were being filled with moments he never knew they were missing in the first place.

His time with parents, his time in elementary school where the power course was taking place and he was in it as well! And among the various faces he saw until now, one was recurring. From when he was a baby to now. That face belonged to the Principal! His face was imprinted to most of his important memories but he could not realize it until now! Or rather, there was something else that prevented him from realizing it. And now that something is gone, he understood that he was not powerless, it was just sealed for his own safety.

His power was a little special as far as he knew. He didn't know much about it since he did not use it at all until now, but he knew that on its own it couldn't do anything. Just as he was about to grasp a little more, he woke up. He was lying down on a bed and there was a wet towel on his forehead. His body was still aching and was still a little bit of pain but his mind was much clearer than before.

He sat up. The towel fell on the floor and made a splashing sound, alerting the doctor. The doctor came and checked him up before speaking.

"It is the first time seeing you like this."

"Well, stuff happened doc."

"That same stuff might've hurt you pretty badly if you were alone. Be careful next time."

"I'm surprised that you care."

"I don't care who you are or if you have any power or not. You are a student under my care. It would look bad on my career if something happened."

"Heh."

Ryuuya got up and fixed his clothing. The doctor told him to rest a bit more but he didn't listen. Saying he was fine, Ryuuya headed for the door.

"Oh, the Principal wants to see you."

"Hmm? Why?"

"Maybe you are finally in trouble. You've been getting more and more reckless with your actions lately."

"Whatever."

He left the infirmary with his jacket over his shoulders. He was smiling. He had questions and the perfect opportunity came to him. He quietly walked towards the principal's office on the third floor. TYRENT had a big campus for a high school in Tokyo and the buildings were apart from each other as well. There were various faculties around a central building. In this central building the students would get their homeroom and general studies. The offices were in this building as well. The principal's office was in the centre of these offices on the third floor.

The Principal's office was just like his characteristic; not formal, at all. But he was like that and nobody would dare to say anything to him about it. He never wore a suit and he always had long hair with a matching goatee. His hair was ash grey and his irises were black. He had a long and slender stature and his carefree attitude made him easy to approach.

But none of this mattered to Ryuuya. He just walked towards the door and knocked after he wore his school jacket. Even though he didn't care, it was bad manners to meet the principal with that appearance.

"Come in."

The office was decorated with all sorts of things from around the world. There were various souvenirs ranging from simple cards to artifacts. There was even a jar of dirt in the corner! The Principal was currently sitting on his chair; his back was turned towards the door. After the door closed he slowly rotated. He was smiling ominously as he was petting a cat plushie.

"I've been expecting you."

"It would be weird if you didn't as you called for me sir."

But of course Ryuuya was not fazed by this. Principal's smile froze stiff and he put the cat toy on the desk with care. He gave out a sigh and talked with a bitter smile.

"C'mon. It was good acting! It is from a movie from before D-Day."

"I don't watch movies sir."

"That's a shame. You must be curious why I called you right?"

"Not really. You called me to explain my powers, why do you appear in critical points of my life and why you didn't age even a single day since I was a baby."

"Close, I must admit. But not the entirety of the reason. Yes I'll explain those things to you but I'll also talk about the things most people don't know about."

"Why?"

"Because you need to know for your own good. But I'll let you ask some questions first."

"Haah."

Ryuuya let out a sigh and thought for a minute. He looked at the smiling face of the Principal. That face was as if he knew everything that Ryuuya thought of until this moment. It irritated him and he wanted to punch it hard. But he also knew that if he tried it, he would be lucky if he only lost an arm. The Principal was that kind of person.

"Who are you?"

"I knew you would start with that. Let's see… I'm the existence that most people know as 'The evil God'."

"Evil… God?"

"Yeah. Scary isn't it?"

"I don't think so. I'm just curious why you are called that."

"Oh that's simple. Because they are afraid of me."

"Who?"

"The Higher Society. Heaven and Hell. They fear me. So they called me evil and shunned me. Of course I don't give a damn about their opinions."

"I see…"

"Any other questions?"

"Why were you watching me? From when I was a baby to until now, you were always a part of my life."

"Well that, requires a deeper explanation. Let's start from the beginning. You know how the D-Day happened right?"

"Yes. 7 gates appeared and 7 leaders of those realms chose their successors on Earth."

"Yes but there were only 6 leaders there."

"What do you mean?"

"You are looking at the 7th leader right now son. The Purgatory one was my right hand man. I'm the leader of Purgatory. And you are my successor."

"What?! What nonsense are you talking about?"

"Like I said, you are my successor. I gave you my power. I watched you as you grew up and waited until you were ready for training. But your body was unable to keep up with the level of power I bestowed so I sealed it altogether."

"Wh-w-w-what?"

"Yes. I was the reason you grew up as powerless. But if I didn't do that, you would've died a long time ago."

Ryuuya was enraged. His eyes were wide open and he clenched his teeth in order to control himself. It was the first time he had trouble controlling his emotions. Evil God saw this and waited for a while. After taking a deep breath, Ryuuya looked at him. Evil God was pleased by this as he was smiling.

"Good. You should at least do this much. Want something to drink?"

"No thank you."

"Your loss. I brought this tea all the way from Turkey. It is delicious you know."

"Please go on."

"Haa. Fine.

You know the crack that appeared on D-Day? That was a brief door to the Pandemonium. It was supposed to upgrade Earth into a higher tier. Evolution if you prefer. But something went wrong and it attacked instead of just evolving it. In defense, the protector of Earth sent his will to block the attack. This resulted in an explosion and this will divided into 7. These will fragments fell on 7 random locations on Earth and created the 'Gateways'. One of those Gateways opens to my world, which is Purgatory.

This was a rare occurrence even for us higher beings so we were curious and wanted to explore the Earth. But a problem arouse, we couldn't roam on Earth freely. We had to restrict our power somehow and this had the possibility of having permanent repercussions. So the others decided to choose a successor and explore the planet that way. I chose my right hand man to do it and went into hiding and find my own successor. Of course I left a note behind to inform everyone."

"I see. And I'm that successor?"

"Precisely."

"You said you had to restrict you powers and this might hurt you permanently so why and how are you here?"

"Oh that? Well… Let's put it this way: Industrial secret."

Evil God put his index finger on his lips and winked. This irritated Ryuuya more but did not show it on his face. After not getting the desired reaction, Evil God started talking once more.

"In short, I'm going to start training you."

"You are saying I'm ready?"

"No some external interference destroyed the seal. That is why you'll start to die slowly if you don't train. And I guarantee it will be agonizing."

"What if I refuse?"

"First of all you have no reason to refuse. Second, you will start dying so you better accept. If you refuse you will be dead in a week. That is your situation right now."

Ryuuya felt a chill after he heard the seriousness of the Principal's voice. His eyes were cold and he was not smiling anymore. He was right; Ryuuya had no reason to refuse. And if he started training, he could learn a lot of things regarding himself and the Principal. He could ask questions later and he could further his martial arts. So he nodded.

"Oh. You'll attend the tournament as well."

5